Is an 80 series project worth persuing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

don't get it if you're worried about gas mileage especially if you're thinking about putting a lift on it.

If you can get the thing for nearly free whats the problem? Grab the LC and get yourself a little econo s*** box for the dding... Work on the van when time and $$ allows.

D

I'm beginning to wonder about this forum...either we have a lot of dissatisfied FJ80 owners or you're all trying to get this truck for yourselves...

Putting even a $2-3K into a cruiser would be good investment if the go-in price was right, even if it is a 92/93. Why so negative? Even considering gas mileage, spending a few hundred more on gas per year (assuming the alternative isn't a hybrid or motorcycle) shouldn't be an automatic be a reason to reject this.

I've owned landcruisers for 20 years. Don't feel that when you consider depreciation, maintenance and fuel that the cost is so overwhelmingly high that I would steer a friend away from one. Consider people who by Chevy/GMC trailblazers that depreciate from $35K to almost zero in 3 years...that's more what I'd call a bad investment.

I admit, I've spend a lot of time and money on my '94 in the past year or so, but it has been trouble free for the 14 years prior and I expect close to the same after the investment I've made recently.

I recommend you get a Jeep Cherokee XJ (not Grand), 1997 or later - do not buy an earlier version as they are still the AMC build, not the Chrysler update.

They have a 300K motor in the 4.0L inline six - having owned both vehicles the power to weight ratio of the XJ vs. LC is so in favor of the XJ that it will feel like a race car in comparison. It will also get 3-4 mpg better.

The XJ has a Toyota transmission (the AW4) that is also known for it's durability at 250K+ miles before rebuild. The rest of the drivetrain (t-case/axles) are relatively light duty, but there is so much aftermarket support that is easily fixed if you plan to wheel it hard.

Now, the XJ is no 80 series, but I don't get into the brand war thing. It is a classic 4x4 that will provide very reliable transportation and enable you to build it to whatever level you want for offroad use without the older Toyota's miserable power to weight ratios combined with horrid fuel economy.

Frankly, the 80 has more basic "call the tow truck" issues than the XJ, including head gasket, PHH, fusible link, and failing starters than the XJ does. The XJ however has "replace the entire drivetrain behind the transmission" at some point issues, so you gotta pick your poison.

Just some food for thought as you figure out how you want to spend your time and money.

Haaaay Twan.
I'm in Auburn and if you go look at it then get pics and I could come up and help you diagnose the issues.... OR, I got a friend down here looking for something like this, so if you pass, please let me know and I'll send the dogs after it.

its pretty cool that there are locals that might be willing to help me out if i decide to get it.. even though some are from auburn (im sure thats who you cheer for).. nobody's perfect.. roll tide by the way!

if i didnt have such a long commute, then the cruiser would be in my driveway right now.. i would consider a beater DD while i work on the cruiser or drive it during my free time, but after driving to work, putting in a full day, driving back home, im usually too beat to go anywhere else..

another problem is my better half. we want to get married next year and basically i cant afford to take on a project of this caliber (that is, IF i need a new engine or transmission.. i figure that its possible that fluids have drained and brakes and other stuff have locked up, or hoses have dry rotted).. we each have bills of our own to pay, i've got to worry about a vehicle, and we have to worry about money for a house/apartment/land..

so, as much as it sucks, this is something i've got to turn down.. maybe i can find an XJ like Nay mentioned.. i like them better than the grand cherokee anyway.. "the wife" said that in a couple of years, when we've gotten situated, i can get a jeep for a project, so im thinking a brand new wrangler rubicon unlimited..

So, Land Speeder and anyone else interested, the easiest way to tell you is to go to your favorite map site (google maps, mapquest, etc), search for curtis road in jasper, and there ya go.. the road is only a quarter mile or so, so the cruiser would be easy to find..

It might pay to check it out with someone who knows these rigs before turning it down. Read some of the threads on here and you'll see, there's probably not a better family vehicle out there... safe, dependable, etc. If it needs a new engine, sounds like maybe not the best bet for you, but if you go check it out thoroughly with someone who knows these and its not that bad, then you've just made a very solid "big picture" "planning for the future" move by holding on to this great vehicle. Besides, if you go check it out with someone and it does need major repairs you can't afford (time/$), then maybe the person whose come along to help you either wants it or knows someone who does... win = win!!!

These rigs are legendary for a reason. You don't think indiana jones would pass by a holy grale without even opening it to see if there's a treasure inside do you?! Check it out, it might be the best move you've ever made.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/twan013.html

"its pretty cool that there are locals that might be willing to help me out if i decide to get it.. even though some are from auburn (im sure thats who you cheer for).. nobody's perfect.. roll tide by the way!"

That is why he wears the mask!:flipoff2:

LOL!
I also don't want you to see my face when I'm reaching around.

That road is not on google street view but i wish it was closer... I'd go look at it...

It's worth the effort to go look at it again.

Enough said.

in a couple of years, when we've gotten situated, i can get a jeep for a project, so im thinking a brand new wrangler rubicon unlimited..

Just buy this one with the diesel Jeep is using overseas. If you left this rig exactly as it is, but made it look more like a classic 40 and gave it a Toyota badge, 80% of the people here would go out and buy one tomorrow.

2007 JK 4DR Rubi DIESEL: New Price - Expedition Portal Forum

yeah, street view would definitely be a no-go.. the area is kind of in the middle of nowhere..

its driving me crazy.. my gf lives out there, so i see the LC a lot, everytime i pass by, i eyeballl it, and imagine myself driving it.. i drive by a little slower, and stare a little longer.. and then i remember reading about that 12 mpg..

like i said before, the fuel economy is the only thing holding me back.. if i had a good paying job in jasper, then heck yeah, bring it on! according to a fuel cost calculator i just found, i would spend aboout 22 dollars PER DAY, with the LC and current job... well over a hundred a week.. pretty soon, i may get the opportunity to make over a grand a week, if that happens, i think i wouold be able to spare $120 for gas

Putting even a $2-3K into a cruiser would be good investment if the go-in price was right, even if it is a 92/93. Why so negative? Even considering gas mileage, spending a few hundred more on gas per year (assuming the alternative isn't a hybrid or motorcycle) shouldn't be an automatic be a reason to reject this.

I'm with this guy. If I look at the amount of money I've put into my own 80, the increased cost of gas is negligible compared to the amount of major parts that have held up. I have put nearly 150k miles on it since March of '05, and had no major problems (knock on wood). I can't think of a lot of other serious four wheelers that have the capability, cargo capacity, and plain old reliability that this thing has, and getting 15 (yes, 15--I drive slow) mpg is a small offset price to pay for not having to do things like, say, rebuilding or replacing an engine or transmission.

To be honest, "building up" an 80 is not exactly the most cost-efficient build out there. If you are looking to build up a 4x4, a heep would be a much more cost-effective alternative.

I gotta disagree, cause if you can find a locked 80, add J's and L's for a grand, you're more capable even un-armored that most Jeeps out there, even those with thousands of dollars on long arm kits and thousands more on lockers.

I gotta disagree, cause if you can find a locked 80, add J's and L's for a grand, you're more capable even un-armored that most Jeeps out there, even those with thousands of dollars on long arm kits and thousands more on lockers.

winner!!!
80's are CHEAP to build to "wheel only" cause alls you need is lift and tires.

who would buy such a nice SUV to "wheel only"?? my personal two pennies that i can barely rub together right now, the 80 series deserves a better life than woods and mud only.. i can understand bashing up a jeep or samurai and parking it in the back yard to let nature clean it off.. but an LC, its higher class than that. Oh sure i'd take it offroad as much as time and money would allow, but as soon as i was done for the day, straight to the car wash..

who would buy such a nice SUV to "wheel only"?? my personal two pennies that i can barely rub together right now, the 80 series deserves a better life than woods and mud only.. i can understand bashing up a jeep or samurai and parking it in the back yard to let nature clean it off.. but an LC, its higher class than that. Oh sure i'd take it offroad as much as time and money would allow, but as soon as i was done for the day, straight to the car wash..

You don't understand cruisers then and i'm not the one to try to explain it to you, but it's like asking "Why would you relegate a black lab to fetching ducks from the water only?".... because if that's all they did in thier life then they'd die happy.
Cruisers are made to never see pavement, so I'd ask the question, why would you ever put a coat of wax on that beast?
Damn, i just explained it to you.

winner!!!
80's are CHEAP to build to "wheel only" cause alls you need is lift and tires.

I won't get into the capability vs. Jeeps argument, but I will tell you that I spent more modification money in total trying to get a Cherokee into a true dual purpose monster (35"+ tires, great road capability over distance) than I have spent in total cost of my 80 plus its mods, and the 80 is better dual purpose on its 37s than my XJ was on 35's.

The real cost issue with an 80 is baselining it - you buy a baselined 80 for relatively cheap and do the basic mods and cost of ownership is excellent. My 80 has cost me relatively little since 2005 except for my mods, but I have kept those to a bare minimum.

I love my cruiser. It has allowed me to take my kids along to play in the mountains, woods, desert, streams and all manner of wild places while I’m on scouting trips before the hunting season. Can’t even start to say how much enjoyment my family has gotten out of this rig. BUT, once the mod madness gets a hold of you the cost is ridiculous. This man is clearly getting by in an economy gone bad, let’s not send him down this path until he gets back on his feet.

(Pick it up for close to nothing? Seriously? Get it and stick it somewhere until later).:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom