Is a 2001 Tundra 2UZ-Fe a compatible replacement engine for a 2003 UZJ100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says, is a 2001 Tundra 2UZ-Fe a compatible replacement engine for a 2003 UZJ100?
I believe that the 2001 Tundra doesn't have drive by wire, i.e. it uses a accelerator cable, whereas the 2003 UZJ100 does.
I've found a replacement long engine for mine, which died - (3x piston failure).
Just concerned about the difference of drive by wire vs accelerator cable.
Is there any issues with doing that swap?

I see this pop up from time to time, here's a selection of posts that should answer your questions. As I recall, the general consensus is to get the engine from another LC/LX as you have to swap out multiple things including the oil pan and some electronics. The Tundra engine is made in the US, LC/LX engine is made in Japan.

Also I have heard a lot of rumors about how the LC/LX 2UZ-FE has forged rods, whereas the tundras have cast rods. I can’t confirm or not but it’s what I’ve always heard

Thanks CloudCity, I appreciate the advice.

In terms of swapping out components... do you mean I have to swap over the oil pan from the dead motor?
I assume that is for clearance?
If so, does the old oil pan match up/is it interchangeable?
That doesn't sound like a huge amount of work, if so.

In regards to the electronics... if I used the inlet manifold and other bits from my old engine, do you think that will work?

Are there any other issues.... eg, engine mount locations, etc?

My main issue is that 2UZ-Fe from a Land cruiser where I am is horrendously expensive... and I can get the Tundra motor far cheaper - less than 1/2 the price.

Sorry to reply to your answer with more questions.
Thanks.

Also I have heard a lot of rumors about how the LC/LX 2UZ-FE has forged rods, whereas the tundras have cast rods. I can’t confirm or not but it’s what I’ve always heard
Thanks also for your advice TheForger.
I have read a variety of posts of several forums... and some agree that there is a difference between them, i.e forged or cast, and some say that they are the same, that they are all forged, and have the same part numbers.
I can't find a definitive answer on that, unfortunately.
Given I'm not planning on supercharging it, or thrashing it, if it is compatible, I'd be willing to take the risk at less than 1/2 the price.
Thanks again.

I forgot to include the link to the posts I found in my original response, apologies for that. Here's a few on the subject.
Thanks again CloudCity.
I had a read through your links, and it certainly seems doable, but with a few issues.
Sounds like the oil pan certainly needs replacing, but not sure if the oil pan on the old engine will match up - although I assume it will.
Still haven't had a difinitive answer re converting from accelerator cable to drive by wire however... at this stage I assume I'd have to move relevant parts from the intake/TB from the old to the new.
Still unsure which way to proceed, but thank you for the useful information, I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom