Ironman bumper experience: disappointing and costly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not a fan of Ironman products. You get what you pay for. Champagne taste Budweiser budget. It is an Australian company but they outsource the work all over China and South East Asia to the lowest bidder. I think that's why the end product is hit or miss. They could have a good run on the floor or a bad one. If you get something from a good run then you say see! I saved 1000$! If you get something from a bad run then you are swearing and cursing because things don't fit or the powder coat is flaking or it just breaks. Russian Roulette. The first heads up is how much they push the Australian thing but if you notice the product comes with a label "designed in Australia" not made in Australia.

I am an ARB fan boi. Yes it costs a lot more but you never hear complaints except for the cost. Or the powder coat, lol, and they've gotten better about that.

ARB powder coat is trash and that's not a small issue.

I ordered a stage 2 lift kit from them during the recent St Patrick’s Day sale. I reached out about springs and maybe changing them based on my setup after I ordered. They told me for any changes I would have to cancel my order and wait for them to be back in stock, then re-order. I asked if I could keep the order open (since I had 25% off) and wait for the comfort springs and they pretty much ghosted me. I cancelled the order because it didn’t feel like they cared about me at all. It was also 2 weeks of emails back and forth with no ETA on when I could expect my original order. Threads like this make me glad I cancelled, time to bite the bullet and wait 6 months for some Kings.

They fixed the issues with the powder coat 2-3 years ago. As 4x4 became more popular and people from all over the world started purchasing on mass ARB products they quickly saw the fault in their process. AU does not have a real winter or deal with brine and salt like a lot of the areas they where shipping. It's a much better. I have some ARB parts, roof rack and bumpers and 2 years in the salt/brine hell there is not a spot of rust or flaking. Even areas on the bumper that I damaged. A little rattle can and good as new and no flaking issues like they used to have. Some of the older stuff I had.... yep garbage powder coat.

I recently went through the whole front bumper thing just now. Looked them all and narrowed it down to the following. In terms of looks I ranked them as follows:
1. CBI;
2. TJM/Iron Man;
3. ARB.

Talked to many people here on the forum over the phone and at local shops in Dallas.
Based on this hearsay and rumor, I rank them build quality as follows:

1. ARB;
2. TJM;
3. CBI/Iron Man

This is just me, hearsay/rumor and my decision process. I could also be 100% wrong. I went with ARB for the build quality and protection it offered.

I did not consider a Aluminum bumper as there are a lot of deer and hogs in Texas, not to mention horrible drivers in Dallas, and they all seem to love to play chicken on the roads.

We see a fair amount of the popular bumpers in our shop. I'd say the ARB powder coating is on par with any other regarding it's ability to survive on our salty ass roads. Downside to a massive lake and desert fill of salt... they lay that stuff on our roads like it's free. I'm yet to see a powder coated 200 poduct that survives years above the others.

Last edited:
We see a fair amount of the popular bumpers in our shop. I'd say the ARB powder coating is on par with any other regarding it's ability to survive on our salty ass roads. Downside to a massive lake and desert fill of salt... they lay that stuff on our roads like it's free. I'm yet to see a powder coated 200 poduct that survives years above the others.
Good to know. What is the average life in years you see for front bumpers?

I read the cow tipping story and every time I read about front impacts all I can think about is I need a front bumper. But then I think im putting a rust prone high maintenance object in front of me. I was trying to see if there are any powder coated aluminum bumpers that are steel reinforced. I would like to buy it once not have to replace it every 3 years. I wishfully feel like there has to be some coating that can stop rust.

I read the cow tipping story and every time I read about front impacts all I can think about is I need a front bumper. But then I think im putting a rust prone high maintenance object in front of me. I was trying to see if there are any powder coated aluminum bumpers that are steel reinforced. I would like to buy it once not have to replace it every 3 years. I wishfully feel like there has to be some coating that can stop rust.

As long as it's a decent powder coat it will last 6-7 years with little maintenance. It's all in the prep work and handling of the raw metal prior to the coating. If you hit something and scratch it or take a ding out you have to touch it up. The sooner the better. One of those auto paint markers work great for small stuff. It's a lot more durable than paint. Just because something is powder coated does not make it bullet proof to rust. It's a film. Break the film and your not protecting the metal. Also fluid film is your friend. Very easy to spray the inside of the bumper where brine likes to collect. Collinite 845 insulator wax on the rest of the outside, bumpers, roof rack anything else powder coated semi gloss or gloss. It's slippery so you don't want it on your sliders. heh

Nothing including aluminum in the salt belt is maintenance free.

Just wanted to add I run an Ironman Premium on my 13 and it has been very solid. I’ve beat the hell out of it too. I also run there Foam Cell Pros and Pro Forged UCAs and have zero complaints. I can’t imagine someone in the states using their 200 much harder than me either. It’s not babied.

I can’t imagine someone in the states using their 200 much harder than me either. It’s not babied.

I'd take that bet. See Canguro 200 :D

5-6 years, perhaps less if they are up and down the canyons daily in the winter. Spend time in the Salt Flats and that stuff will rot about any alloy.

5-6 years, perhaps less if they are up and down the canyons daily in the winter. Spend time in the Salt Flats and that stuff will rot about any alloy.

Is there any reason you wouldnt recommend ironman for impact protection? I like the idea of looking at this as a cheap wearable item to be replaced every 5 years at $1000 pop ($200/year). We have pet deer in my backyard and im always worried about a deer strike. Need to verify if ironman requires cutting the bumper or not. I hate the cutting idea.

In chicago, salt trucks love cutting me off and dumping salt directly in my path few times in the winter, as much as I try avoiding them like the plague.

Is there any reason you wouldnt recommend ironman for impact protection? I like the idea of looking at this as a cheap wearable item to be replaced every 5 years at $1000 pop ($200/year). We have pet deer in my backyard and im always worried about a deer strike. Need to verify if ironman requires cutting the bumper or not. I hate the cutting idea.

In chicago, salt trucks love cutting me off and dumping salt directly in my path few times in the winter, as much as I try avoiding them like the plague.
Yes Ironman requires chopping up your front bumper.

Thanks for heads up. Back to TJM.

I have a 2016 and my Ironman bumper is a full replacement. There was a little trimming of airflow ducting required to fit it that I assume others might require as well, YMMV.
Good to know about the new ones. Seems like pre 16 requires cutting, since I had to cut mine up and seeing some of the pictures of 13-15 they cut em up too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom