Ironman bumper experience: disappointing and costly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered the Ironman Premium bumper for my 200, and the experience has been nothing but frustrating. More importantly, it is costing me a lot more money than I expected based on the advertised compatibility with the 200. I regret purchasing from Ironman and would advise anyone considering their bumper to consider instead one of the truly premium options from other vendors who participate in these forums. Of course, experiences vary. Some folks here may report differently. I can only report my own experience and opinions.

There are 4 separate issues I've been dealing with at the shop over the past couple of days:
  1. Bumper design issue causing contact or near contact with headlight lens
  2. Bumper camera mount issue
  3. Upgraded foglight dead on arrival
  4. Unapologetic, poor customer service
The first issue was already reported by others in this forum. But the reports were inconsistent, so I had foolishly ignored them when placing my order. Basically, when the bumper was installed and aligned at the shop, the inner edge on the passenger side made contact with the tab projecting from the headlight lens. Even a slight impact on the bumper seemed like it would pose a great risk to the headlight. The shop and I discussed options for how to fix the issue so that the bumper would actually protect the headlight rather than increase the risk of damaging it. We could have pulled the bumper out a tad, but that didn't seem like it would be adequate and seemed like it could cause other issues. So we decided to trim some material off of the contact area to create more clearance between the bumper and the headlight lens and then paint the exposed metal. This is resulting in several more hours of shop time--at my cost, of course.

The second issue was that the one camera-sized hole is deeply recessed in an area of the bumper in a way that causes the top, right, and left surfaces of the recessed areas to show up on the screen, greatly reducing the useability of the image. The shop and I again brainstormed solutions and came up with a custom bracket idea that will again require more hours of shop time--also at my cost, of course.

The third issue is that after the shop installed the upgraded LED lights that I ordered, they discovered that was one was dead on arrival. Wiring in the lights is not a no-big-deal, 5-minute affair the way one person at Ironman suggested; the shop had spent some time soldering and wrapping the wires to do the job well. I'm in New York City, and one of the few reputable options for doing bumper installs on a Land Cruiser is a shop a couple hours away that specializes in Land Cruiser repairs, modifications, and customizations. I booked a multiday slot there (for the bumper install plus some other work), drove out, and got a hotel nearby. I called Ironman from my hotel and explained this situation. I asked them simply to overnight a working LED light to the shop so that I could drive home with two working fogs. This brings us to the fourth issue: Ironman did not apologize and showed no sympathy at all for my situation. Instead, they cited some obscure passage from the warranty and said they couldn't overnight the light to me. I explained that getting to the shop was a difficult affair, that the shop had already burned time installing the bad light, and that if I went back to the shop or to another shop in the NYC area just to re-install lights it would be a significantly greater cost than an overnight charge, not to mention lost time for me. Too bad for me was essentially their response. While I would expect this low level of service from some overseas call center, it doesn't measure up to the type of service I've experienced from other vendors here. For example, I had an issue with a suspension part while it was being installed at the same shop a couple months ago, and when I called Mike at Exit Offroad about it, he immediately apologized and overnighted a replacement part. Thanks to Mike's good service, a minor issue was resolved without unnecessary pain, and I was able to drive home with my items installed. Both Exit Offroad and Ironman had issues, just as all manufacturers and vendors do from time to time; it's statistics. But Exit Offroad took responsibility and fixed the issue right away while I was at the shop; whereas Ironman cited a too-bad-for-you passage from the warranty to explain why my money and time would not justify a small overnight shipping charge on their end. Would I buy from Exit Offroad again? Yes. Would I buy from Ironman? Hell, no.

At the end of it all, I'm looking at a solid day and a half of additional shop time to modify the bumper, create brackets, and install a dead light "upgrade." Thankfully, it's not ALL bad. It's a handsome and stout bumper, and it has mounting locations for some of my gear. These are the reasons I bought it. So I expect to get everything to work out in the end---just after a lot more expense, time, and disappointment than I was expecting.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues, it always sucks when we run into these things when messing with these obscure and semi-custom modifications as they are never cheap to remedy, time is money. I have to say that you're the first person I've heard of with a complaint of any magnitude in regards to Ironman. There are lots of us in the GX subforum running the Prado bumper which is much more difficult to modify for and very few have been unhappy. I do think they could have helped you out a little more with the faulty light but $hit happens. In the end I think you will be very happy with your bumper, they are insanely stout and over built.

Last edited:
Huh.. my experience with their customer service is exact opposite. I had a great experience with them and I was in the wrong but they still made things right that didn't need to be made right. I have seen a couple posts of guys shaving that tab on their headlights to make the bumper work. Luckily I have an older 200 and didn't have any of those issues, also the wiring for the lights was stupid simple although tedious and I'm an amateur at best.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience dude!

I’ve yet to be impressed with anything from Ironman. In my opinion, they are the Smittybilt of Australia.

When I look at their fit, finish, welds, integration into a specific truck, really everything, I just feel it is done on the cheap compared to other offerings. That goes for from bumpers to suspension.

That’s me though, and I know there are many people who are very happy with their Ironman decision, at least on the outside.

I had an ARB next to the Ironman and in almost every way the Ironman was better built. YMMV. Price wise they are definitely the Smittybilt of Australia.

Thank you @Tex68w. I agree. The bumper is in great hands. The shop is really top-notch.
If you don't mind me asking, at what shop are you getting the work done? I usually do everything myself but lockers might be the exception and might need a shop near NYC.

Yeah I was really tempted to purchase a bumper when they had a huge sale some time back. I had a feeling I wouldn't be satisfied with the quality so I didn't complete the order multiple times. Thanks for letting us know what problems you faced. The customer service issue I believe is to be expected and if you wanted in next day aired it should come out of your pocket. But the headlight issue is what bothers me. The camera mount is going to be hard no matter what IMO. I'm sure the bigger manufacturers have a better way of doing it but cheaper ones may not.

I have no clue who to recommend to you in NYC but Mainline Overland is in West Chester, PA which is on the west side of Philly only two hours away from NYC. They have extensive experience with damn near every modification that can be done to the GX amongst many other platforms and they sell and distribute all of the good stuff too. They have another location just outside of Concord, NH as well and a third in NC.

The idea of a cheap bumper appeals to me as my understanding is they need to be replaced every 3 years due to rust? $1000 doesn't sound too bad. Not sure on the labor hours to put one on. Let me know if you ever hit anything with it how it holds up.

I ordered the Premium bumper for the 16+ but ended up cancelling the order when I learned of the fitment issues OP describes and the fact that you cannot install rated recovery points to the front. Unfortunately, the bumper had already been shipped, so I will have to eat the shipping costs (which are not cheap). The lesson here is to thoroughly research this forum before pulling the trigger on mods like this.

I ended up ordering an ARB Summit bumper instead. ARB was my first choice, but the lower price point is what ultimately made me go with IM. I'm much happier with the ARB bumper because I personally prefer the look of it over the Ironman. The 16+ IM bumper sits quite a bit higher, almost flush with the bottom of the headlights, while the ARB bumper sits lower and has a gap between the top plate and the bottom of headlights that is filled in with part of the factory painted bumper cover. I noticed that the other IM bumpers for year models up to 2015 have a similar position to the ARB bumpers. It looks like IM changed the design for the 16+ and went with the higher position.

I haven't received my refund from Ironman yet, but so far they have been fair to me in the return process. I ordered other things from them in the past, including a winch, and was pleased with the customer service and quality of items.

Last edited:
My assessment between Ironman and ARB has to do with the GX/Prado bumper, not the LC. I can't make any assessments in regards to their 200 series bumpers.

Sorry to hear the angst in your writing. I would be just as mad as you are and absolutely understand your frustration.

Did you consider TJM? I personally think it’s a far better looking bumper and probably better built for this 16+, at least the newer TJM design of the full bumper replacement really fits the front end nicely.

I have no clue who to recommend to you in NYC but Mainline Overland is in West Chester, PA which is on the west side of Philly only two hours away from NYC. They have extensive experience with damn near every modification that can be done to the GX amongst many other platforms and they sell and distribute all of the good stuff too. They have another location just outside of Concord, NH as well and a third in NC.

FYI... I used the Concord (Bow) NH location to install my RLC rear bumper a couple of years ago, as it was winter time and I don't have a heated space to work in. I was not happy with the work they did, and I had to fix a couple of things they didn't do right. Maybe the PA shop is better. I can elaborate via PM if needed.

FYI... I used the Concord (Bow) NH location to install my RLC rear bumper a couple of years ago, as it was winter time and I don't have a heated space to work in. I was not happy with the work they did, and I had to fix a couple of things they didn't do right. Maybe the PA shop is better. I can elaborate via PM if needed.

Good to know.

Sorry to hear the angst in your writing. I would be just as mad as you are and absolutely understand your frustration.

Did you consider TJM? I personally think it’s a far better looking bumper and probably better built for this 16+, at least the newer TJM design of the full bumper replacement really fits the front end nicely.

I too think the newest version of the TJM bumper is the best looking in regards to the full wrap design.

I ordered the Premium bumper for the 16+ but ended up cancelling the order when I learned of the fitment issues OP describes and the fact that you cannot install rated recovery points to the front. Unfortunately, the bumper had already been shipped, so I will have to eat the shipping costs (which are not cheap). The lesson here is to thoroughly research this forum before pulling the trigger on mods like this.

I ended up ordering an ARB Summit bumper instead. ARB was my first choice, but the lower price point is what ultimately made me go with IM. I'm much happier with the ARB bumper because I personally prefer the look of it over the Ironman. The 16+ IM bumper sits quite a bit higher, almost flush with the bottom of the headlights, while the ARB bumper sits lower and has a gap between the top plate and the bottom of headlights that is filled in with part of the factory painted bumper cover. I noticed that the other IM bumpers for year models up to 2015 have a similar position to the ARB bumpers. It looks like IM changed the design for the 16+ and went with the higher position.

I haven't received my refund from Ironman yet, but so far they have been fair to me in the return process. I ordered other things from them in the past, including a winch, and was pleased with the customer service and quality of items.
Maybe you should see if someone local-ish wants to purchase your bumper and you guys could split the shipping or something. Seems a waste if shipping is more than a couple hundred bucks. Maybe someone being able to "impulse buy" a bumper they can go pickup would be enticing enough.

If you don't mind me asking, at what shop are you getting the work done? I usually do everything myself but lockers might be the exception and might need a shop near NYC.

OK4WD in Jersey is fantastic. It's about 1 hour after you get out of the tunnel. Right off 78. Full custom work done and the mechanics are all specialized in one field. So they have a one guy that for 15 years installed all of the lockers air or E. Just an example. They do want you to purchase the items thru them if you want it installed by them but you also really can't beat their prices. And even last year when you couldn't find parts because of Covid related issues somehow they said no problem it will be here in two days? no idea? They also give honest quotes and tell you the issues that might come up and a price for that too.

I had an ARB next to the Ironman and in almost every way the Ironman was better built. YMMV. Price wise they are definitely the Smittybilt of Australia.
That’s good to hear they are improving. I haven’t seen that yet, but I’m just one guy, at one shop. So the feed back is good to pass onto people I talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom