Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro Review (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to post this review since there isn't much information out there on Ironman stuff. I bought the foam cell pro model on sale for $1,200 and the rear conversion for $200. For my specific purposes I knew I was NOT going to go crazy and do rock crawling or had a need for long suspension travel since the costs start to add up. However, I did know that I wanted a coilover setup for adjustment and $1,500 was my budget. I opted for the performance springs in the front which are rated up to 115lbs and stock spring rate in the rear. I had it installed late January 2020 and was planning on a few trips but due to our current situation plans got cancelled.

I was finally able to get out yesterday and hit the trail from Apple Valley to Big Bear. It's not very hard but represents the typical terrain I do.

I did this trail last year November with my stock suspension but I had the same Falken Wildpeak tires 265/70/17's. I could tell an immediate difference in compliance and ride quality. It was a lot smoother and the shocks seemed to soak up the bumps. I was able to drive faster and not feel like my GX was going to fall apart. It's actually a funny observation to me and I do not know why but sometimes I think it performs better off-road than on surface streets with dips and bumps. In my opinion, I think these shocks are valved specifically for washboard roads and short oscillations.

I encountered some large ruts, flexed a bit and used A-TRAC. I still have my stock uca's and it rubbed my passenger spring on two separate occasions. I may plan on buying the forged Ironman uca's in the near future but I don't think it's a priority for now.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase. Granted I have not tried other suspension brand setups -- one friend has Radflo and another has King. Obviously, cost is usually the biggest factor so the value for money is perfect for me and my use. I also did not like the inconvenience of having to rebuild the aforementioned brands from time to time. Are they worth the extra $1000? Up to you. But for now and what I do it's perfectly fine. From what I hear, Ironman is a budget type of suspension brand so take it for what it's worth. I think they are a few notches above "budget" which fill the void in this price range. I also expect trouble free maintenance which is one less thing to have to worry about on and off-road. Some gratuitous pictures to follow

IMG_1422.jpg

88b2bba7-80ea-4f30-a5d9-0324ead27d88.jpg

e25fd2f6-cb00-4851-94a1-8f70d29189d9.JPG

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

i have a stage 3 on the way. Will review it after some miles on it.

I have the stage three on mine and did the install in my home garage. I love the kit and the arms have been great. Easier to install than I thought and the truck rides awesome!

Just installed my Stage 3 today. Super hot doing it in the driveway as my garage is full of other projects. Running 285/70/17 KO2s on TRD Rock Crawler 4Runner wheels. Need to do the alignment and the Panhard bar has not yet arrived but droop travel and compression are much improved. My left rear airbag was dead and every drive started on the drivers bumpstop until it aired up a bit. Nice and level, taller than I thought, hope it will settle. Had a 1.5" lean before. Will need to massage some plastic in front for rubbing on sharp reverse turns. Massive improvement in ride quality from my two mile shakedown. More to follow as it settles and I adjust things. Not planning to add much weight.

If you are asking me, way too early to tell. I need about 300 lbs of crap to throw in there to help it out, lol

I am looking at this as my next setup as well. Nice to hear some feedback.

I've installed around 4 of these locally at my house for friends. No complaints from anyone using them. My first lift on my GX was Iron Man back in 2010 (nitro gas)

I'm happy with mine as well - 3 years and 33k miles so far. Just swapped from Performance to Performance w/accessories rear springs - was getting a little heavy for the Performance set.

kow8mYm.png

I am very glad that you posted this review. I too just bought a set of IronMan4x4 performance springs, but I'm combining them with the nitro gas shocks. It fit's my budget... That in mind I was debating about getting UCA's and you've convinced me I need them. I'm just starting the search but would they need to by the IronMan $700 set or would a more affordable option (Freedom @$360) be ok? I'm not a rock crawler and I hope to do some light trails and overlanding in the future.

I also was looking at JBA UCA to go with their lift. Just another option.

Considering the Foam Cell Pro Stage 2 Lift, but also looking at the Radflo Stage 2 Lift which is $1000 more.. how do i decide?

Obviously my opinion is biased, but I would want to ask myself if the radflo stage 2 is $1,000 better?

For the $2,800 - $3,000 range it doesn't have adjustable dampening does it? If I was paying that much, I would want that option and the "might as well" comes into play since the price difference to upgrade isn't that much.

I think the biggest factors in making my decision were price, function and reliability. If I had the extra cash I would have just went straight for Kings even if I wasn't going to use it to it's full potential. I wanted to install my suspension once and forget about it. I've had it for about a year now and haven't had any issues or complaints.

I also didn't like the fact that eventually you have to rebuild the shocks. Granted, 2 of my friends both have Radflo and Kings for the past 1.5-2 years and they daily drive their trucks and haven't had to rebuild yet. But, it's not if, it's when.

I like the Ironman UCA oem style ball joint. You don't have to grease it and the ball joint can be purchased easily and for cheap $25-35? Aftermarket UCA hiem joints are usually proprietary so it's harder to replace. I looked up spc's uca replacement joint and they are around $125 each.

Way too early for this kinda stuff, it'll be interesting to see if they have any longevity once people put serious mileage on them.

Have ironman 2" lift with foamcell shocks. Used SPC upper control arms for their adjustability and strength. Truck handles very well on twisty back roads.

I am very pleased with my Ironman Pro 2" set up. Anyone know if you can use any generic spanner wrench to adjust the front coil overs. I looked on the Ironman website and they want $79 plus shipping for the their wrench. I see similar ones on amazon and eBay motors for much less. I was just looking to raise the front up about a half inch or so.

IMG_9612.jpg

I just switched out the performance springs to the constant load springs. My rig has a Lancer bumper, but I already notice a better drive from the front too.

I'm happy with mine as well - 3 years and 33k miles so far. Just swapped from Performance to Performance w/accessories rear springs - was getting a little heavy for the Performance set.

kow8mYm.png
Wish I had that bar that goes on top of the bumper. P.O. chose not to have it. How much id just the bar? May install later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom