Iron Man Suspension first impression (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
Finally got around to mounting up the IronMan 4” suspension kit that’s been sitting in my garage for the last few weeks. I had tried to get some shop time with Dave Crum and his lift, but he was busy and today was the only day this week I had free. Work is a good thing.

The old setup was from 2002. OME 850J/863J with the corresponding L shocks. The fronts had 2 of the OME spacers which I left in place.

I pulled all 4 shocks off first. Not too much drama other than the crushed lower mounts in the rear. I spent a good deal of time cleaning and grinding the bolt heads back to some reality. I have an order in for 2 more plus hardware. The rear upper shock plates looked pretty bad when I took them out, so they went on the bench grinder, into a bath of Simple Green, and got a coat or 2 of Rustolium. Anyway, I went at the springs with a HiLift to pick up each side and the OEM bottle jack and a couple of scraps of 2x4 to jack down the axle. Again, no drama here. Did my best to clean up the spring seats.

Couple of notes. The IronMan spring steel is significantly thicker than the OME springs I had on there and the shock bodies are just freaking huge. Spring height was close if not identical with them sitting in my driveway. The curvature of the rear lower springs where they mate to the spring seat is a slightly larger radius than the OME, but IMO nothing to be concerned about.

The ride is vastly improved IMO. Much less body sway, less nose dive during heavy braking, but the real deal is the way these shocks eat up the bumps. I have no more of the bone jarring hits when she dumps into a pothole. They just soak it up. Did a combined highway/city run and she drives really nice. I’m a happy camper. I won’t get a chance to take her into the woods until Memorial Day weekend, so that report will have to wait.

Right now the truck sits perfectly level with the typical amount of crap I carry. We’ll see what happens over the next few weeks.
Thanks again to Eli at Camel4x4 for a good product at a good price.

BTW, if anyone is interested in my old setup for the low low price of free for nothin’, speak up now or it’s going into the scrap pile.

Last edited:
PICS!!!

Where did you get the suspension from?

Im interested your old setup. Ill shoot you a PM.

Here are some pics of the front springs next to the OME J springs.
FrontSprings.jpg
FrontSprings2.jpg
FrontSprings3.jpg

good review

Thanks for the writeup! You guys get killed in that salt!

side note: many of the funrace4x4 guys run this setup so it must be tough.

Pics of the vehicle please!!!! How much $$$ did you pay for the kit???:bounce::bounce2:

How much $$$ did you pay for the kit???[/SIZE][/FONT]:bounce::bounce2:

From their site:

Camel 4x4: 80 Series & Lexus 450

Code:
SHOCK ABSORBERS
Name		Code			Price/Each
Nitro Gas Shocks Front	12683GR	 $80.00		 
Nitro Gas Shocks Rear	12682GR	 $80.00		 
Foam Cell Shocks Front	24683FE	 $112.00		 
Foam Cell Shocks Rear	24682FE	 $112.00		 
Foam Cell Shocks Front	24683LFE	 $136.00		 
    Suits 4" Lift Kits	
Foam Cell Shocks Rear	24682LFE	 $136.00		 
    Suits 4" Lift Kits	
Foam Cell Shocks Front	24683LFE1	 $160.00		 
    Suits 6" Lift Kits	
Foam Cell Shocks Rear	24682LFE1	 $160.00		 
    Suits 6" Lift Kits	
Steering Damper	3524	 $88.00		 

SPRINGS
Name		Code			Price/Each	
 Coil Spring Front	TOY024B	 $120.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 110lb	
 Coil Spring Front	TOY024C	 $128.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 242lb	
 Coil Spring Rear	TOY025B	 $128.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 440lb	
 Coil Spring Rear	TOY013B	 $128.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 660lb	
 Coil Spring Rear	TOY025C	 $136.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 880lb	
 Coil Spring Rear	TOY025D	 $200.00		 
    Additional Weight 880lb - GVM	
 Coil Spring Front	TOY012C	 $184.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 220lb for 4" Lift	
 Coil Spring Rear	TOY013C	 $184.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 440lb for 4" Lift	
 Coil Spring Front	TOY060B	 $240.00		 
    Additional Weight up to 220lb for 6" Lift	
 Coil Spring Rear	TOY061B	 $240.00	

SUSPENSION KITS
Name		Code			Price/Each	 
Performance with Gas Shocks	TOY024BKG	 $568.00		 
    Kit Includes: Nitro Gas Shock Absorbers, Coil Springs	 
Constant Load with Gas Shocks	TOY024CKG	 $584.00		 
    Kit Includes: Nitro Gas Shock Absorbers, Coil Springs	 
Performance with Foam Cell Shocks	TOY024BKF	 $696.00		 
    Kit Includes: Foam Cell Shock Absorbers, Coil Springs	 
Constant Load with Foam Cell Shocks	TOY024CKF	 $712.00		 
Extra Constant Load with Foam Cell Shocks	TOY024DKF	 $776.00		 
4" Suspension Lift Kit	TOY012CKF1	 $1,650.00		 
    Kit Includes: Foam Cell Shock Absorbers, Coil Springs, 5 Degree Caster Plates, Panhard Rods, Extended Sway Bar Brackets, Extended Brake Hoses	 
4" Suspension Lift Kit	TOY012CKF2	 $1,650.00		 
    Kit Includes: Foam Cell Shock Absorbers, Coil Springs, 5 Degree Caster Plates, Panhard Rods, Extended Sway Bar Brackets, Extended Brake Hoses	 
6" Suspension Lift Kit	TOY063BKF1	 $1,850.00		 
6" Suspension Lift Kit	TOY063BKF2	 $1,850.00		 

Pics of the vehicle please!!!! How much $$$ did you pay for the kit???:bounce::bounce2:

It looks the same as with the OME setup. Static height is unchanged. Price information is on the camel4x4 website. I snapped a quick cellphone pic this morning before I left for work.

All 80s look the same you know...
Profile.jpg

It's a little hard to tell, but from the coil comparison pic, it looks like the ironman springs makes 2 more coils (12) than the OME (10). Am I seeing this right?

Nice observation about the number of wraps. So if I understand coil springs correctly, this means the ironman coils are more compliant (softer) because they more length to twist over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom