iPad Air 10.9” - 256gb WiFi + Cellular (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to purchase. Any reason to choose an alternative?

Uses:

Sitting around the house BS-ing on the internet in my favorite chair with my drink in hand
Mounting in 80 Series for GPS in off-grid situations (hence cellular option despite no intention of using data - GPS only available with LTE)
Mount behind headrest in family mobile (200 Series) for daughter on long trips

I choose 256gb to have space for downloading big maps (Gaia) as well as movies and the like for the family.

Not sure I see a use case for the Pro. Also worried the 10.9” is too big for mounting in the 80. Thoughts?

Forgery the cellular. Get the Garmin Glo 2 (GPS unit) and use blue tooth to connect. Maps can be downloaded at home.

Forgery the cellular. Get the Garmin Glo 2 (GPS unit) and use blue tooth to connect. Maps can be downloaded at home.
The cellular variety is desirable as they generally include the ability to track your position on the map when outside of cell range

As an update, I ended up getting the newest Air 10.9" with 256gb+LTE.

Case for it was delivered last night and waiting on RAM Mount gear and @NLXTACY 's Useless Cubby mount to arrive. Hoping for a slick setup!

The cellular variety is desirable as they generally include the ability to track your position on the map when outside of cell range
Garmin does the same thing for hundreds less. Ymmv.

Guys. Ipad without cellular. Garmin i mentioned above. Download maps before you leave. I have used it for over a year exactly how the op wants. Works for me.

Guys. Ipad without cellular. Garmin i mentioned above. Download maps before you leave. I have used it for over a year exactly how the op wants. Works for me.
That’s a good approach. Don’t discount the simplicity of a singular device to accomplish the task.

E4D71994-2482-44D8-82EF-315FA50B8547.jpeg

FWIW my solution: iPad mini with GPS. Out of Cell range use downloadable maps. Within cell range use Waze, Maps or whatever. I typically link the iphone to the mini to avoid connection cost.

Reactions: MoJ
Do you have a pic of your set up?
It got rotated, but you get the idea.

E3F0E966-8240-4A1C-9309-0A97C1B1EA2E.jpeg

Worked well, but I ended up just using my phone on the Ram mount. iPad still comes with me on trips as it is much easier to use than the phone, but if I would have done it again for this purpose I would have gone with a Mini.

Its main use is mom duty. Mounted behind the passenger seat in the 200 for my daughter on trips.

68D19CBA-8BE8-4CD1-95C7-B61B41699525.jpeg

Nice!!! Thank you so much! The iPad holder using the RAM mount does look a little bulky. That was one of my concerns with going this route. Maybe a more fitted holder like the one for the mini above would work.

Smaller ram mount with iPad cradle. Only addition not shown is a 200 watt inverter to keep up with Gaia demands.

DFE8F47B-0EEA-402B-A61E-B270605D06A0.jpeg

Post 52 on Georgine post for part numbers

Nice!!! Thank you so much! The iPad holder using the RAM mount does look a little bulky. That was one of my concerns with going this route. Maybe a more fitted holder like the one for the mini above would work.

I've used the iPad on a suction Ram mount on the windshield and my phone on the Wit's End cubby mount simultaneously but it got a little out of control. Felt like I should be landing a plane, not driving in the woods.

The iPad is the same one in both pictures. In the 200, it is installed on an OEM tablet holder that mounts to the headrest. Very helpful on long trips if you're trying to memorize the songs from Frozen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom