Introduction + question about master cylinder/brake booster types (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.
I've only been getting into the world of 4wd in the last couple of years and finally managed to save up and and find the perfect 80, so I purchased my old girl last year - 1996 fzj80 winter edition. I'm the second owner with all service history and books intact. That being said, it isn't perfect, so I've been doing fixes and some minor mods to make it mechanically sound, before any major mods go on the car.

20200111_130612.jpg

Since the purchase the brake performance has been questionable at best and then my brake booster failed completely.
After contacting a couple of local Toyota dealerships and finding out that they want just over $2000AUD for a brake booster I found one on CruiserYard which saved me a lot of money and got delivered very quickly (thank you!). I have also emailed them with this question but I thought I'd post here as well.

At the time I didn't realise that boosters came either 2 bolt or 4 bolt. The booster I ordered came with 4 bolts (master cylinder side) and I have both my old booster and MC with 2 bolts. I've since been searching the internet but can't find a proper explanation on differences between 4 bolt and 2 bolt. I contacted my local dealerships who were of no help either.
The current bracket that the MC sits on only accommodates for 2 bolt type.

Is there a difference in US cruisers and AUD cruisers regarding this? I'm not really sure where to go from here.
My bus is 1996 with ABS.
Cheers!

I once found out the hard way about aftermarket master cylinders. Put two in and no pressure, put in an OEM and got immediate pressure. Something to consider before purchasing parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom