introduction from winston salem, new fj62 owner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well as luck would have it, i have a few friends with land cruisers along with many other vices. those vices lead me to them and now im being lead to land cruisers, go figure. peer pressure.

im Carl and live in winston salem. been on here lurking around for years, back when i had an XJ. ive since graduated to other things, vintage bmws, and volkswagens etc.. i called my buddy stephen when i saw this 62, i honestly thought it was a grand wagoneer and first glance. and now im here and own it ......

3fe (low milage)
woody, cell, auto, hand throttle, cd changer etc :smokin:

IMG-1730.jpg

my plans are up in the air at the moment but ive got a few things id like to do right away to get her on the road.

myself and Stephen and another fellow Jason spent a good bit of time tonight trying to mate and new ignition barrel to the column with no luck.
the column is damaged but we couldnt get the barrell to seat fully. ?? so i may need another column or a new barrel casting.

IMG_1875.jpg
65163559609--076C27DA-981B-4092-AC4D-6AEC662F2F1F.jpg

so along with that, ive got a line on 80 wheels and pretty good tires for now..
i grabbed a rear bumper from some dudes in the SC upstate group. but in need a front bumper bad and a lower valence...

and many many other bits.

see yall around !

Carl snagged a good one here despite its appearance at the moment. Fairly solid truck over all minus the rust through on a couple of the doors. Odometer reads 120,000 and receipts found from a Toyota dealer for a complete engine rebuild at 60,000 miles. Interior is clean, intact and pretty much all there. Even has a hand throttle and a sweet phone LOL. Gotta sort out the spring over someone started, needs a few parts and a good cleaning. After that it should be one sweet rig.

6A67017D-4192-452D-8E81-8BE279BB9984.jpeg

Welcome! High steer kit is necessary with soa in my opinion. What steering does it have now?

upon inspection it looks to be a hacked up stock setup, with a bent and re-welded drag link.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

upon inspection it looks to be a hacked up stock setup, with a bent and re-welded drag link.

Gotcha. High steer for the win then.

Definitely a kit. You need both high steer arms, the tie rod with TREs, and the relay rod (drag link) with TREs as well. Should be able to use your stock pitman arm, or you can put on a FZJ80 pitman arm on your FJ62 steering box if you end up using FJ/FZJ80 TREs all around.

Any of the big name places are fine. My pick used to be 4x4labs, but I don't see high steer arms listed on their online store anymore. Marlin or Iron Pig would be perfectly fine. Probably go with IPOR only because they're on the east coast.

Reminds me of my first car in high school, it was an '88 Grand Wagoneer gray over red with the wood trim and everything. Welcome!

Definitely a kit. You need both high steer arms, the tie rod with TREs, and the relay rod (drag link) with TREs as well. Should be able to use your stock pitman arm, or you can put on a FZJ80 pitman arm on your FJ62 steering box if you end up using FJ/FZJ80 TREs all around.

Any of the big name places are fine. My pick used to be 4x4labs, but I don't see high steer arms listed on their online store anymore. Marlin or Iron Pig would be perfectly fine. Probably go with IPOR only because they're on the east coast.

Wow, if Luke isn't making arms anymore, that's a shame. He was the go to for a long time, but mine have been on so long now I haven't looked at a hi-steer thread in a long time. Agree 100% hi-steer is a must with SOA. Also should do a cut and turn if you want to do it right.

Wow, if Luke isn't making arms anymore, that's a shame. He was the go to for a long time, but mine have been on so long now I haven't looked at a hi-steer thread in a long time. Agree 100% hi-steer is a must with SOA. Also should do a cut and turn if you want to do it right.

i think he offers a lot of parts not on his site. Last time I spoke with him, he preferred to talk about setup, etc vs selling a std setup and potentially having to rework them. I could be wrong tho…that was a couple years ago.

@fj40z - that phone is so you!!

Nice truck and great list of items to work on.

Welcome

Looks like @robustbambi twin 62!

As stated 4x4labs still sells high-steer, you have to call/email them. Good luck. They are very busy selling rear bumpers.

The highsteer kit on IPOR’s site is just a regular Trail Gear kit.

@S4Cruiser the crazy thing is when we hooked a jump pack up to the battery Wednesday evening the phone lit right up! Made tones when you dialed the numbers and everything. Hadn’t heard those particular sounds in a long time.

Welcome!

1989 called - it wants it's phone and wood panels back ;)

Nice ride!

Sweet ride man! I’m in Winston Salem too. Hit me up - always good to have local wrenching pals!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom