Intro and Feasibility Checks... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a few months, on and off, and figured today I would make an account and introduce myself (and my situation). First I wanted to say that I've really appreciated observing this community here (and on the 200 forums), you guys all seem both very friendly and knowledgeable.

I am an American Army Officer currently stationed in Singapore. I currently do not own a car but I'm moving back to the US this summer and planning on buying a GX460 (ideally a MY13). I only know for sure that I will be in the US for one year, after that I am not sure where in the world I will live (this is relevant, I promise). For the guaranteed year I am in the states I want a good DD that I can use for light overland, hauling kids around, and car camping (also with at least one kid). IF I end up in the states longer, I want the flexibility to fully build the rig into something capable of more hardcore offroading. However, I also don't want to modify it too much in the first year, in case I have to sell it or put it in long term storage for another long overseas assignment.

I used to own a Nissan Xterra with OME suspension, ARB bumpers, and a winch; which was more than capable enough for most of the offroad driving enjoy, but it wasn't a Toyota and it didn't have a third row. Originally I was looking at a 200 series LC (used of course) but ultimately I think that's a little too much money for my lifestyle/income level.

So in conjunction with all those caveats up there, I am thinking of buying a +-MY13 LX (with Crawl Control I think) and keeping the initial mods very basic.

Thinking a Front Runner Roof Rack initially and maybe a Hidden Winch (depending on how removable they are). Then longer term maybe shift to suspension and bumpers and the various minor accouterments that overland builds tend to accumulate. So if you all don't mind, I have a few basic questions (and I did search, but couldn't find anything conclusive)

1: Can the stock suspension handle a hidden winch and a roof rack without effecting daily drivability (I really want to leave the suspension stock until I know for sure how long I'm going to have the truck)
2: Can the various hidden winch mounts be easily removed (or at least have their presence hidden) in case I have to sell the vehicle again quickly
3: Can the full size Front Runner rack be installed with a few crossbars missing in order to still use the moon roof? I don't want the smaller racks, because I have a giant foamy surfboard and a kayak I want to be able to mount across the full length of the roof if possible....

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling....

Last edited:
Can’t comment on the winch.

As for the roof rack, I’ve been running a front runner slimline for a couple of years now. Im running stock suspension and have no problems with the rack or carrying and loads on it. I do have the rear air springs.

You can remove some slats on the slimline but only certain ones. The very front and back slats have to stay in, they are integral with the frame of the rack. There are also several slats that attach the rack to the rack base, those need to remain as well.

It looks like you can take out two of the slats above the sun roof (looked on the web, it’s raining outside so I didn’t go look at my truck) The next couple of slats are bolted to the rails that mount to the roof of the truck.

Edit: found a pic of my truck. I pointed to the slats you can remove. You can see this in relation to the sunroof.

Last edited:
Can’t..... Snip

Thank you, that was an extremely helpful reply. If you don't mind, next time you're in the truck (or if you can visualize it) can you make a guestimate to how much "open air" would be over the sunroof if those two slats were removed? 50% of the sunroof? Less? More

No rush, I'm months from buying; just curious

The slat with the fairing on it has to say as part of the rack, the one behind it can be removed. Looks like it’d take about 25-35% of the sunroof.

One thing to note is that the faring does direct alot of the air down through the sunroof when it's open.

Sorry for the lousy picture, it's suprisingly hard to get a good shot of the whole sunroof with a cellphone camera.

Last edited:
Ooh-Rah! I too am an Army Officer, albeit a once-a-month reservist. Welcome to the community!
Here is a link to my build which is on a 2013 Premium edition: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
Regarding you questions:
  • I love my Gamiviti rack! It's low profile (still allows me in most parking garages), has front LED bar and side proximity LED's and fits my iKamper roof top tent great! They are also very flexible, personable and friendly. I ordered my rack so there is nothing over the sunroof in case I need an emergency exit and I enjoy the openness while driving. Note: there will be wind noise. Here is their link: Roof Racks — Gamiviti
  • There are some posts of stock bumper with a hidden front winch if you do a search. I wanted the added protection, front and rear of steel. I think you may increase nose diving when braking even with a light winch with synthetic line. I would recommend beefing up the suspension anyways especially if you ever plan on going with dual batteries, winch, air compressor, steel bumper, etc.
Hope this helps LONO!

I've got the FR rack, and as been mentioned you probably don't want to open the sunroof while driving because the fairing directs the wind right through the sunroof and creates a huge racket. I want to install a fairing on the front of the rack to prevent wind from going underneath, but at this point I don't use the sunroof enough to justify the trouble.

I looked into the hidden winch mounts. The reason I decided against it is the winch mounts are about half the cost of a winch bumper, and the front bumper approach angles of the GX are horrible and you'd probably rip the bumper off way before needing a winch.

I too need to add a fairing to my Gamiviti. It's okay at around-town speeds but not on highways.
Not sure how much of it is the LED light bar in front, the rack itself or both.
I plan on making some cardboard cut-outs and try some various designs to see which works best as soon as the weather dries up a wee bit.

Sorry for the lousy picture, it's suprisingly hard to get a good shot of the whole sunroof with a cellphone camera.

The picture is great, thanks! It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what I was looking at, but that's because I'm an idiot. That photo conveys what I wanted to know.

Thanks! I hadn't seen that post.

Ooh-Rah! I too am an Army Officer, albeit a once-a-month reservist. Welcome to the community!
Here is a link to my build which is on a 2013 Premium edition: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo

Hooah! What's your branch? I was Armor, and I'm now a FAO (as I assume my location kind of gives away).

You've got a great looking truck. I will have to look more at the Gamiviti racks (and the Prisnu I guess). I just really like all the idiot proof accessories for the FRs (as I am an idiot). How bad is the wind noise? Say you're on the highway with a podcast on, does it disturb your ability to hear the podcast?

I do want to upgrade the suspension and bumpers...but only if I keep the truck long term; which I want to do, but if I end up in Jakarta or Manilla in 14 months, I may have to sell the truck (or store it long term) and I'd rather not dump 10k into mods in that case. I was thinking hidden winch because that's cheaper and relatively easier to undo (and often doesn't require upgrading the suspension). I just like the peace of mind that a winch grants me (as I'm usually exploring alone)

I've got the FR rack, and as been mentioned you probably don't want to open the sunroof while driving because the fairing directs the wind right through the sunroof and creates a huge racket. I want to install a fairing on the front of the rack to prevent wind from going underneath, but at this point I don't use the sunroof enough to justify the trouble.

I looked into the hidden winch mounts. The reason I decided against it is the winch mounts are about half the cost of a winch bumper, and the front bumper approach angles of the GX are horrible and you'd probably rip the bumper off way before needing a winch.

Do you have the slats removed to where you could use the sunroof if you wanted (and felt like dealing with the noise?) If so, how does it look?

That's a good point on probably losing the front bumper before needing a winch, maybe I will just wait on a winch for when I know how long I'm keeping the truck. I've just always liked the peace of mind a winch provides

The rack doesn’t interfere with the operation of the sunroof at all, so there’s no need to remove any slats. When open the roof retracts into the ceiling, and even in “vent” mode (the rear portion of the roof pops up a couple of inches) the rack is high enough above the roof that there’s no problem.

The problem is mainly the front edge of the rack and air dam (shown in the picture above) is right above the middle of the roof, so at sped all that air is directed straight into the cabin and feels like you’re sticking your head out the window. Even with the sunroof closed, I can hear the wind noise if I open the shade, so tend to keep it closed all the time. About the only time I use the sunroof is at really low speeds or when at camp and I need to access the zipper on the RTT.

The SSO roof rack might work better for you since it has an integrated wind fairing and is more open above the roof. If it was available a few years ago I think I would have bought that one, although for my purposes the FR probably works better.

Snip

The SSO roof rack might work better for you since it has an integrated wind fairing and is more open above the roof. If it was available a few years ago I think I would have bought that one, although for my purposes the FR probably works better.

All very good points; thanks. I think the SSO rack is a lot higher on my list now. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom