Intermittent Stall - Maybe Torque Converter - But Fixes itself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to the forum, and not technically proficient - but I love my 2000 Landcruiser with 235k miles, all of which are mine. Over the past couple years, I have had an issue which seems to be stumping my local Pittsburgh mechanics and I was hoping this forum might have run into this issue before.

The below has happened 4 times spread out by about 6 months over the past 2 years - and over about 40 miles of driving.

When slowing down - the engine stalls. Feels like it does when you stall out a stick shift... e.g. have it in 3rd gear pulling up to light and stall. The engine will restart and runs in Park and can be moved into Neutral. However - when placed in Drive or Park - it stalls out - again, similar to starting in too high a gear.

In each case - I got towed to a shop where the mechanic went to look at it the next day, and the problem had resolved itself. 4x - same story, it would start right up - and the stall issue was gone. They all seem to think it might be something with the Torque converter - but since it runs and drives they don't want to fix something only to have that not be the issue.

There are no error codes recorded - and no trouble lights displayed.

My wife is starting to resist keeping this car if it will break down like this - so I am desperate to get this fixed or I am stuck in the mini-van on road trips.

Any idea?

Spencer

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Just happened once so far. Did you figure out the issue?
not yet - still doing research. Got lots of replies on a separate string titled "stalls our when put in gear question". I have been driving for about 2 weeks without issue. I am going to take it down to a local mechanic and have them go through all the reader codes with the Techstream code reader. Not sure if I will find anything - because the garage where I had it towed last time said there were no error codes, but I am not sure I trust them to have dug very deep. Check out the posts on the other string - but it sounds like it is going to be a bit of a hunt.

not yet - still doing research. Got lots of replies on a separate string titled "stalls our when put in gear question". I have been driving for about 2 weeks without issue. I am going to take it down to a local mechanic and have them go through all the reader codes with the Techstream code reader. Not sure if I will find anything - because the garage where I had it towed last time said there were no error codes, but I am not sure I trust them to have dug very deep. Check out the posts on the other string - but it sounds like it is going to be a bit of a hunt.

Also - note I have been dealing with this for 2 years. I have put about 40-50k miles in that period - so it is just the risk of the unexpected break down that is the pain.

I have a great mechanic. I trust him completely. He worked for Toyota for 7 years. He checked everything and didn't find anything. When it happened to me, I just drove for 45 minutes without stopping. I have been driving it around for a few months now with no issues. Thinking about another longer trip, but I am worried it will stall out again.

I have a great mechanic. I trust him completely. He worked for Toyota for 7 years. He checked everything and didn't find anything. When it happened to me, I just drove for 45 minutes without stopping. I have been driving it around for a few months now with no issues. Thinking about another longer trip, but I am worried it will stall out again.

I have driving back and forth for kids sports from Pittsburgh to Philly and Baltimore about 30 times over he past couple years while this has been going on - without issue. This last time I was in Philly which was a pain.... but the 4 times it has happened to me I have not had a common thread. 1x - 2 miles from house in winter... 1x 15 miles from house in summer ... 1x 300 miles getting off turnpike - but I had literally stopped 15 min earlier to get gas in rest area. The only common thread is after I get it towed .... the next day when someone looks at it - it is fine. At one point "playing" with the 4 wheel drive high and low shift was a hypothesis of something that had slipped in the differential or something- but it did not work this time.... so I am not sure. Upgrade your AAA so you have Premier 200 Mile Tow package for free. I just dumped my car last time - took uber to rental shop and had the car towed back to Pittsburgh.

@spencer2000LC, next time it happens put the transfer case in neutral, this will take the load off of the transmission.
Does ti still do it?

I have no other idea's other than what I already suggested and this.

On a side note, I had a Oldsmobile where the touqre converter would not unlock, so we unplugged it and I drove the car for years with no lock up tourqre converter. Only downside was lower mpg.

@spencer2000LC, next time it happens put the transfer case in neutral, this will take the load off of the transmission.
Does ti still do it?

I have no other idea's other than what I already suggested and this.

On a side note, I had a Oldsmobile where the touqre converter would not unlock, so we unplugged it and I drove the car for years with no lock up tourqre converter. Only downside was lower mpg.

When this happened the 2nd or 3rd time - I shifted between H / L and N on the transfer case - and it seemed to resolve itself. However the 3rd and 4th time it happened - moving it to Neutral and or changing between High and Low did not work. In fact, the 4th time it happened, 24 hours later, after 2 tow's - it was still reoccurring - where it would start - but stall out when put in gear. 48 hours later - it decided to work. The mystery continues.

There is another thread with the exact same issue.
He is going to unplug the touqre converter, he asked where the plug was.
If I were you I'd follow that thread.
I have no idea where the plug is on you truck.

Does it stall as in just turn off like it lost power? Or does it “slam” off like what happens if you lift the clutch without adding throttle?

Does it stall as in just turn off like it lost power? Or does it “slam” off like what happens if you lift the clutch without adding throttle?

It kind of sputters off... check engine light and others flickering then dies..... I don't think it slams off, just feels like it stalls.

How many miles? My shot in the dark is that the engine mounts are worn. When the vehicle is stopped and in D the engine will move around. Something could be not connected properly and losing continuity when the engine shifts. Or the intake hose could have a big crack that opens up.

Also, has this been mentioned: does it stall in reverse?

Also, has this been mentioned: does it stall in reverse?

Have you noticed that you were running very low on fuel when this happens? I am not suggesting that you were stalling because of running out of gas, but on another vehicle I own I had this exact problem and it turned out that whenever I ran it fairly low all the silt and debris in the fuel tank would clog the fuel tank screen (not even sure an LC has this, but clogged filter, uptake line, etc., could act the same) due to suction and it would stall out. I would try and start it over and over and it would just turn but not start. After a tow and letting it sit, usually a few hours but definitely overnight, it would start up and run like nothing ever happened. Naturally I would fill it up with gas since it was low which would dilute the debris enough that it wouldn't happen until it was run very low again, which was something I never really allow to happen so on the rare instances where it did let the tank get very low I would get the stalling problem. Just like you it was sporadic like months between instances until I finally got it figured out.

It just sputters off...... clunk clunk clunk with the dash error lights flicker and then stalls. Will restart no problem - and run if you leave in park or shift into neutral - but drive or reverse triggers the stall. Again, it has righted itself after a couple days and I am driving like normal now without issue.

Have you noticed that you were running very low on fuel when this happens? I am not suggesting that you were stalling because of running out of gas, but on another vehicle I own I had this exact problem and it turned out that whenever I ran it fairly low all the silt and debris in the fuel tank would clog the fuel tank screen (not even sure an LC has this, but clogged filter, uptake line, etc., could act the same) due to suction and it would stall out. I would try and start it over and over and it would just turn but not start. After a tow and letting it sit, usually a few hours but definitely overnight, it would start up and run like nothing ever happened. Naturally I would fill it up with gas since it was low which would dilute the debris enough that it wouldn't happen until it was run very low again, which was something I never really allow to happen so on the rare instances where it did let the tank get very low I would get the stalling problem. Just like you it was sporadic like months between instances until I finally got it figured out.

It was not low on gas at the time, and I don't recall it being the case with other stalls either... but it is an interesting thought as it is so inconsistent in occurring, and then goes away for month and months.

There is another thread with the exact same issue.
He is going to unplug the touqre converter, he asked where the plug was.
If I were you I'd follow that thread.
I have no idea where the plug is on you truck.

Spike555 - I can't find the other thread where there was a question where the torque converter thread was located. I searched for a while, with no luck. Do you know the title?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom