Intermittent dash lights, dimmer switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HMP

Threads
Last two times Ive driven my 62 the dash lights have not worked. None of them, including the HVAC controls. The turn signal lights DO come on and STAY on (both) the entire time unless I engage the turn signals and then that side will flash with the light.
I heard a weird buzz for a little from the dimmer switch when I drove it two nights ago, which is why Im wondering if that's the culprit here.

Any ideas?
Are there any other dimmer switches from other Toyotas that will work with ours that I could score at the junkyard and try out?

Last two times Ive driven my 62 the dash lights have not worked. None of them, including the HVAC controls. The turn signal lights DO come on and STAY on (both) the entire time unless I engage the turn signals and then that side will flash with the light.
I heard a weird buzz for a little from the dimmer switch when I drove it two nights ago, which is why Im wondering if that's the culprit here.

Any ideas?
Are there any other dimmer switches from other Toyotas that will work with ours that I could score at the junkyard and try out?

i have a idea i came up with all by myself about 4 years ago ....... :idea:

1670041250224.png

Let me add - the car knows that Ive switched on the lights - the headlights and tails come on as they should, but nothing on the dash.
It got more weird because, not all of the time, when I turned the car off ( and lights were still on) the dash lights popped on.

Weird dash lighting behavior is usually caused by a floating ground. All those lights’ wires ground at a common junction and when one or more of the connectors builds up resistance (usually caused by excessive current over the decades) the electricity finds a different path to ground - often through and adjacent accessory.

I’d examine the wires behind the instrument panel. Look carefully for burning. Some connectors are stuffed behind wire bundles so you’ve got to poke around a bit. Get a flashlight

Reactions: HMP
Weird dash lighting behavior is usually caused by a floating ground. All those lights’ wires ground at a common junction and when one or more of the connectors builds up resistance (usually caused by excessive current over the decades) the electricity finds a different path to ground - often through and adjacent accessory.

I’d examine the wires behind the instrument panel. Look carefully for burning. Some connectors are stuffed behind wire bundles so you’ve got to poke around a bit. Get a flashlight
That sounds like a bummer ha I was hoping it'd be a simple swap of a component. I hate wiring issues.
Thanks for your post, guess I'll be pulling my gauge cluster off soon

Try wiggling your fuses too

Reactions: HMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom