Interior Panel Refinishing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone has refinished or rewrapped the gunmetal interior panels on their GX?

I am getting a bit of wear (specifically bubbling) on some areas and figured I’d put a feeler out there on paint codes / vinyl wraps if anyone has gone down this path.

Personally, I’d much rather address problem areas rather than trying to pull / sand / paint (or wrap) everything to match.

cheers!

Last edited:
I have bubbling on the steering wheel control surrounds and have been meaning to take it off and redo it, but haven't planned it further than that. My goal would be to match it to the existing (close enough) since it's the only portion that needs redone.

I’ve got that same bubbling @jmanscotch! I’m thinking about what I want to do but leaning towards stripping and redoing it myself. I also need to paint the Lexus badge...

07BE73B0-4756-4AF6-ACB0-4DB4C9D8CBB7.jpeg

I’m referring to the EXACT same bubbling you guys are. I have some other scratches - but this is the one that I’m focused on at the moment.

My initial reaction was to strip and paint. But the more I think about it - the more I’m leaning toward 3M wrap.

@MrTorgue pfft, mine's way worse than yours! Wanna trade?

@mattgold I would probably lean towards paint myself, kinda assume it'd be easier to find a close match. Plus, past experience says I'm not great with DIY wrap jobs, especially on parts with such sharp edges.

I haven't see any DIY steering wheel/airbag removal threads for the 460 yet, usually pretty easy once you know where the hidden release springs or bolts are. I'd presume it's like other wheels and you have to remove the airbag as a minimum, maybe the wheel too if the control pieces bolt through the steering wheel and don't have front accessible brackets instead.

With all due respect, I'd lean toward a vinyl wrap. I'm thinking the vinyl will not scratch as easily as paint.
If you paint, you may want to do a bunch of coats, and then clear coat to protect against all the things that can drop and ding/scratch it.
One last thought is Plasti-Dip. There are so many colors you may find one that works and if you spray it on light enough you won't get that thick look and because it's kind of rubberized, it should hold up well. Just a thought.

@mattgold I would probably lean towards paint myself, kinda assume it'd be easier to find a close match. Plus, past experience says I'm not great with DIY wrap jobs, especially on parts with such sharp edges.

I haven't see any DIY steering wheel/airbag removal threads for the 460 yet, usually pretty easy once you know where the hidden release springs or bolts are. I'd presume it's like other wheels and you have to remove the airbag as a minimum, maybe the wheel too if the control pieces bolt through the steering wheel and don't have front accessible brackets instead.
Lighting sucks but the one on the left is pretty bad

Wow, that does look pretty bad! How is the wood holding up?
At least there's a DIY steering wheel removal thread currently being discussed!

My only concern if you were to do a vinyl wrap is that you'd have to get ALL the bubbling and surface material off.
As opposed to paint, vinyl is not a gap filler. It will show and magnify every little imperfection.
So if you plan on wrapping it, just make sure you have a perfectly smooth surface.
With paint, add enough layers and you can fill smooth over the Grand Canyon!

Wow, that does look pretty bad! How is the wood holding up?
At least there's a DIY steering wheel removal thread currently being discussed!

Wood is holding up great, no issues.

Only other wear concerns I have at 110K miles is the front seats. Cracking and subsequent discolored areas inside the cracking on the seat bottoms.

Everything else is holding up well.

Hmm, I’d have to compare later when I’m in the GX, but the first one looks close, but I’m color blind so might not be the best person for this.

My only concern if you were to do a vinyl wrap is that you'd have to get ALL the bubbling and surface material off.
As opposed to paint, vinyl is not a gap filler. It will show and magnify every little imperfection.
So if you plan on wrapping it, just make sure you have a perfectly smooth surface.
With paint, add enough layers and you can fill smooth over the Grand Canyon!

That's a legit point.

But we're also talking about a couple VERY small panels. Stripping and sanding smooth (which you would have to do with paint as well) would be a must - and not that's large of a task. Who knows, maybe a bit of heat would get the existing surface peeled clean. 🤷‍♂️

If you find a rattle can that matches - I'd be interested in that as well.

Check out my post that I just put up yesterday. It's really easy to remove the steering wheel!

You. could send the parts off and get them plated with nickel.
or
A sample of silver or gunmetal cerakote will work. Make sure it is the no bake flavor.

Justin

Check out my post that I just put up yesterday. It's really easy to remove the steering wheel!

Wow! Great timing. Great write up as well! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom