Interested in/ Starting out with Ham Radios...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
well, don't do what I did...

I knew very little about the Ham field. Had always been vaguely interested in the abstract and used radios when I was flying, but it's the guys here (mostly Andy's reviews of ham on the trails - thanks) who convinced me to go ahead with it for wheeling. The main reason by far I did it was for emergency commo in the boonies.

What I did was a minor bit of perusal of web sites mostly about radios, and I took the exam without much reading. (Also asked a bunch of premature questions here :), thanks for the info.) Fortunately, I did do a bunch of review reading (here and on various sites) before buying the equipment and I'm quite happy with the choices. Then read a couple of sites about ham etiquette, and tried on the air, but altogether I got into this without knowing very much about it (and felt uneasy about that lack of knowledge).

Now, I just got the book "Ham Radio for dummies" and concluded that I went about this all wrong. I should have gotten that book or a similar one before I did anything else. A book like that covers all the generalities that you can't normally find on the web, and most importantly puts things in perspective as to what you need, what you can do, what it's for, what's the basis for lots of things etc. I'm only a couple of chapters in the book but it seems like a very good intro to the hobby and technology. Only $25 or so. Well worth it.

So, IMHO, get an intro book at the first notion that this is something you may be interested in at some point in the future, and certainly long before you take the exam and buy equipment. Surely most of you were smarter than I was, but it's easy to get in a rush to take the exam and buy equipment and get going without enough background.

my 2c, HTmayH somebody else...

Last edited:
don't forget you can always make a quick trip to your local library to see if they have that book or something like it and you are not out any cash :)
go to arrl.org and see if you have any clubs in your area, go to a meeting and chat...face to face and you might meet an elmer (someone to help & teach)...
then see if you have a local ham shop so you can checkout toys in person...

good thread on doing it right :)

i'll send anybody that wants it my tech class element 2 study guide (2007-2011 version)...

... first pm gets it for the cost to ship it.

edit: gone, hopefully my general class book will be available on Sept 17th....

Last edited:
Now, I just got the book "Ham Radio for dummies" and concluded that I went about this all wrong. I should have gotten that book or a similar one before I did anything else. A book like that covers all the generalities that you can't normally find on the web, and most importantly puts things in perspective as to what you need, what you can do, what it's for, what's the basis for lots of things etc. I'm only a couple of chapters in the book but it seems like a very good intro to the hobby and technology. Only $25 or so. Well worth it.

So, IMHO, get an intro book at the first notion that this is something you may be interested in at some point in the future, and certainly long before you take the exam and buy equipment. Surely most of you were smarter than I was, but it's easy to get in a rush to take the exam and buy equipment and get going without enough background.

my 2c, HTmayH somebody else...

Good book to get for sure !!! :D

well, finished reading the Dummies book.

Clarification: there is relatively little on mobile systems, a few mentions here and there but not too much technical as in what radio and antennae to use. And nothing directly pertinent to wheeling uses. But it's a good intro the the Ham hobby in general. A lot on HF of course, which is not what a beginner would normally use.

As I mentioned, good reading if you are still at the "thinking whether I should do it or not" level. Gives you a good idea what it's all about.

He does have a section on "best references". I'll quote a few here, HTH:

portals: eham.net qrz.com qsl.net ac6v.com

mobile operation: "your mobile companion" by roger burch also "the mobile DXer" by Dave Mangels also "APRS tracks etc" by Stan Horzepa

oh, one last thing, an observation about "Dead Air". The other day I was scanning and thinking "man there is so little out there...". But on a whim, I picked up a dead repeater frequency and called up, and lo and behold, immediately, somebody picked it up, we chatted and I even got an invitation to joing a group of hams for lunch (200 miles away unfortunately). So it goes to show you that dead air is only dead if you don't do anything about it. I guess a bunch of serious hams out there that walk around with HTs, don't say anything but will reply if called up.
So don't give up too easily! :)

enjoy!

We had a couple of guys in our club that are long time Hams. One of them organized a study class for us which was way cool. And we started a little "net" on Monday nights, where we sit and yak with each other, which helps you practice. So far it's vastly superior to CB, especially with connected repeaters. I communicated on 2m with one of my club members who was camping up above Central City and I was practically home, a distance of around 75 miles! You can't do that with CB. We're working on more of our club members. Eventually we'll get them all to go Ham. :rolleyes::D

Find a club!

Sure, it sounds really geeky, but there's nothing better than finding a HAM club full of old nerds. Honest. I got introduced to amateur radio through some club members who were doing FYI stuff in public schools (I was in junior high at the time). I got hooked and those guys taught me so much I couldn't handle it all. I ended up working with one later when I was dejaying at KGVW in Belgrade, MT and learned even more. The best part about it was that they loaned me radios long before I could ever buy one, let me hang out with them to learn all the ropes (something you'll never get in a book), and I got to do cool stuff like run communications for forest-fire crews:cool: (way cool for a 15 year old kid in MT).

Search the web for a club in your area. A lot have websites, like mine does. www.gallatinhamradio.com/

found another good book, a bit older but very nicely written, great explanations of various technical stuff, including propagation, electronics, what bands to use for what and when and more, all in a very easy plain english language:

All about Ham radio
by
Harry Helms

I'm tempted to rate it above the Dummies book

Hey out of curiosity, is it possible to use a Ham radio to get internet when in either the city or way out in the middle of no where?

Can Ham radios broadcast/receive on marine and airband?

Chris,

Just noticed your location. I am newbie to wheeling and mobile radios. Could you recommend a good Ham and CB retailer in Denver Area? Not much here in Grand Junction.

Tks

dave

How did all of you hams prepare for the test? ARRL has an online course. Has anyone here taken a formal course, or did you just study a book and/or a question bank to prepare for the test?

How did all of you hams prepare for the test? ARRL has an online course. Has anyone here taken a formal course, or did you just study a book and/or a question bank to prepare for the test?

The club I got licensed in used a video/book course from King something-something. It's a few hours of video plus study time, and voila, you pass the test and have a license. I probably got more from the book and working through the practice tests in it than the videos.

www.hamtestonline.com

This is excellent. I tried the ARRL book and it's dull and poorly organized. The Gordon West book teaches to the test and is acceptable, but there isn't enough background. Hamtestonline is great. I recently passed my General exam using hamtestonline after studying seriously for about 2 weeks.

HamTestOnline™

This is excellent. I tried the ARRL book and it's dull and poorly organized. The Gordon West book teaches to the test and is acceptable, but there isn't enough background. Hamtestonline is great. I recently passed my General exam using hamtestonline after studying seriously for about 2 weeks.
Ya'll need to post up a FAQ on how to get started :D There's some good info in here, but a one-stop-shop thread would be a big help.

These tests helped me pass with a 100%. I studied Gordon's book off and on for about a month and a half, then hit these tests up one after another for about 4 hours the night before the test. With all the info fresh in your head, its much easier.

Enjoy!

QRZ Ham Radio

I just finished a 2 day prep course through my local C.E.R.T. program.
The class was taught by Gordo himself. I passed with 100% and every student in the class passed the test.

I met a bunch of local Hams and found out who the local equipment gurus are. Plenty of offers for help once I decide to install equipment.

More and more C.E.R.T. programs are getting into Ham and it is a great way to study! Check to see if your city offers anything similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom