Interest in 40 & 55 Series grille badges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have an 80 series and made a TEQ badge for my front grille. I own a 3D printer and am a mechanical engineering teacher. after posting some pics I got a LOT of interest from the 80's guys and decided to make a few batches of them. I have since gotten quite a few emails from the 40's guys and a couple from the 55's guys about making you guys some. I went ahead a made some prototypes of each and passed them on to members on this forum. I am now trying to decide if I should make a large batch of them. I need to know if there is any interest in these. I am not asking for any commitment to buy. I just need to know if you would be interested. If I do make them they will come in the red/silver combo or the black/silver combo. It will be up to the buyer to decide which one they want. I have already priced the cost to make the prototypes and I would have to be at $30 for each emblem (in hopes that I can at least sell around 20 to get to my break even point). I can also do custom color combos of any color combo you can think of, but that will come at a higher cost since that one part ties up my machine for multiple hours. They will also all come with the honeycomb pattern in the background. I decided not to make the traditional flat red/chrome badge since there is already a member on here making quality metal replica TEQ badges. This is more of a modern feel to a retro look and quite a bit less since these are made of plastic. The plastic will have no issues holding up in the outside elements. It should last for many years without issue. The FJ55 badge mounts along the 3 metal slots on the lower half of the grille. It matches the curvature of the slots and uses 4 strips of 3m automotive adhesive. (VERY sticky!!). The FJ40 badge uses a mounting plate that goes through the expanded metal grille giving a flat surface on the outside edge to attach the TEQ badge. It also uses 3M adhesive. Both attach with zero hardware and zero cutting or drilling. Install time is a minute or two tops and both designs have numerous mounting locations so you can pick the spot you like most. Here's some pics of the prototypes. Just respond to this thread or shoot me a PM if you are interested. If I get enough interest I will add these to my ETSY page and will start a "for sale" thread in the small business-merchandise forum. Please understand at this point I am not selling anything. Just gauging interest.

FJ40 TEQ Badge:

I forgot to mention; if I do make these at $30 each, that would include the cost of shipping. So $30 would be total to your front door. Not sure if that changes anyone's opinion on wanting one, but I wanted to make sure everyone new what the total will be if I end up making these.

One more thing; please let me know if you have an FJ55 or FJ40 so I have an idea on interest for each design. Looks like the first two guys to respond both have a 40 based on their sig and pic. Once I get at least 10 guys that are seriously interested then I will make a batch. No worries if you back out. I'm not holding anyone to any type of commitment. Just guaging interest. I just need to make sure there is some actual interest before I spend a lot of time and money making these.

Sorry , duh - FJ40 and if it would work I'll stuff one on the Taco too....
Sarge
I have universal Teq badges on Etsy now that will mount to any flat surface of any Toyota. the link to my Etsy page is in my sig below. that is where I will eventually post the FJ40 and Fj55 badges if I can get enough interest.

Last edited:
Anymore folks interested in one of these badges?

Red one for the 40 series. Very impressive.

So is that it? Just 3. I might be able to meet all the demand with just the finished prototypes I made. I will go ahead and get those prototypes up on ETSY tonight. If they sell out then I will do another small batch and continue to do so until the orders stop. I'm surprised with all the requests I got over the last couple months that the interest is so weak. Oh well... lesson learned.

Is it ultraviolet and heat resistant?

It's as heat resistant as plastic can be. ABS is what the auto industry uses for almost all exterior car parts. I don't know about ultraviolet. The grille and Toyota emblems on yotas made in the 80's up to now are all made of ABS, so the plastic should have no issue being in the elements.

So the first wave of orders went out today. They should all be delivered in the next couple days. Not sure if that will be all the orders or not, but I do have a few of the original prototypes left. Not sure at this point if that is all I will make. I guess time will tell.

Anymore interest in these?

Have you thought of making the light grey plastic plugs for the doors in the older models? The ones that cover up the access to the wing windows. If you could make those to look stock you could probably make a killing on those... No longer made and only available used and not easy to find...

These:

ddce5aa4ca5b2386b53f39f92ea5a792.image.200x196.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom