Interactive Forest Service Maps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I used these maps in the Gila this week. I will give them an 8/10, and in general I liked them. They are yet another tool to figure out where you are, and where you want to go. Before I left I downloaded offline maps for the Gila to my tablet. They worked well. Unlike a lot of digital maps, the roads didn't disappear as you zoomed out. I had one wish, and one gripe. The wish was that I could have downloaded the offline maps to my SD card in the tablet. The gripe was that the State and County roads did disappear as one zoomed out. They are also white which made them hard to see. The forest roads did not disappear. You can get them here:

Last edited:
BackCountry Navigator - for Android
CalTopo - for Android, IOS, desktop

But nothing comes close to a personal library of maps for getting acquainted, and an independent GPS for just recording waypoints, and plotting them on CalTopo while back in camp; I have yet to figure out how to get away from home or the office, unless I turn off the phone.

I wish I could incorporate GPS info as metadata with my camera's image files.

BackCountry Navigator - for Android
CalTopo - for Android, IOS, desktop

But nothing comes close to a personal library of maps for getting acquainted, and an independent GPS for just recording waypoints, and plotting them on CalTopo while back in camp; I have yet to figure out how to get away from home or the office, unless I turn off the phone.

I wish I could incorporate GPS info as metadata with my camera's image files.

Your phone should geolocate. One of my DSLRs has a GPS built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom