Insurance for OE glass 2013 GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a nice long crack in the windshield. I do have comprehensive so I'm just getting it replaced.

If I don't get approved for OE glass, should I put up the money or is anything fine? I believe Lexus told me it was $950 for the windshield, but the insurance may approve partial? I'm not sure, having it run now.

I've ran non-OE glass in nearly all of my vehicles (due to OE windshields getting ruined by chips, cracks, and hail) and have never had an issue, or even noticed a difference. My 470 has a non-OE windshield in it (from the PO) and it's been totally fine. I've had non-OEM windshields installed in a Subaru, in my driveway, for as cheap as $190 (though I'm sure they are more expensive now).

I just got a nice long crack in the windshield. I do have comprehensive so I'm just getting it replaced.

If I don't get approved for OE glass, should I put up the money or is anything fine? I believe Lexus told me it was $950 for the windshield, but the insurance may approve partial? I'm not sure, having it run now.
I’m having mine on my 2010 replaced right now with an OEM Lexus windscreen by a Toyota dealer with approval from my insurance. The price is spot on and my insurance will cover everything over $500.

I’ll never do a generic non-OEM one if I can help it.

Personally, I vote for the OEM. Not sure if the after market will have what's needed for the electronics in the rear view mirror.
That would be my biggest concern.

I've had nothing but non-OEM replacements, and they're hit and miss from an optical clarity standpoint. You tend to get "wavy" sections that are really annoying. I don't have anything fancy in my GX that would technically require OEM, and at 180k I'd be surprised if it still is (haven't checked). My RX on the other hand, has the heads-up-display with the special insert between the layers, so not even sure non-OEM is an option there. (I LOVE the HUD feature, btw)

I insist on OEM glass and am willing to pay any deductible. Have had issues with rain sensors, etc. My 2022 has the windshield wiper heating element in the bottom of the glass, and hence another reason to go with OEM on my vehicle.

My first OEM went in 2017 and went with a Pilkington.. had a Fuyao put in this last summer since Pilkington wasn't available.

3rd party has a place for all the sensors these days. Both of my 3rd party windshields had a spot for the rain sensor and also have the wiper heater element at the bottom. Plugged right in and worked fine.

Never had an issue with rain sensor. Problems are usually caused by a messed up gel pack that sits between the sensor and windshield. Insist on a new gel pack at windshield replacement time.

Reactions: r2m
Got a nice hit and a crack started propagating across the OE glass as I drove home. I hit it with several applications of the windshield repair glue and its stopped, most of it isn't noticeable. It'snot in my line of sight so I figure if I get another hit I'll replace it anyhow.
I'll probably get OE since the price is probably closer to that $500 mark anyhow. I was annoyed with some small missing details when I got non oe on other vehicles.

• Sad
Reactions: r2m
OEM windshields for 10-13 are right around $700 … I never noticed any significant differences with the OEM to these aftermarket. I carry a $50 comp deductible and insurance would have made me pay for the OEM premium. Some have found long delays still getting OEM glass but that may be getting better now. I find the installation more important than the glass itself….always want to avoid water leak carnage

Okay, insurance are going to cover it so that makes it easy. $250 deduct is fine.

It's inevitable for this to happen again though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom