Installing trailer light wiring harness (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning on using my KZJ78 to tow a small teardrop trailer. I've got a hitch sourced from UAE, but the wiring for the trailer lights has got me a little stumped.

I'm not totally familiar with how the signals from brake, turn, hazard lights are processed to the trailer lights. Is it necessary to get a module of some sort to convert the signal? Or can you just buy a 7 blade wire and connect by trial and error? I think it'd be pretty easy to figure the turn signal wires, ground and reverse lights, but the power cable might be harder to figure out...I guess that's what I'm mostly asking about--how to get 12v power from the prado to the 7 blade connector.

If anyone has any recommendations or a thread I should check out, I'd be much obliged.

Last edited:
For power I would run a wire from the fusebox back to the rear light. On my BJ74, the bundle wiring just off the right rear light has all the wires for left and right sides. I sort of spliced in to those wires after confirming which is which with a voltmeter. I did not want to cut any factory wires so I bought matching connectors to attach my trailer stuff to. In 1988, Toyota used Sumitomo connectors in many places.
eastern beaver

Edit: My response wasn't helpful as I was talking about the brake light wiring, not the power source so I removed it.

Normally the kit contains a converter.
You need a ground to frame or OEM white/black striped wire.
You may have a harness if lucky otherwise splice, I use electrical solder and premium shrink wrap.
FYI
Just yesterday I removed the crappy LED wiring of the PO and installed brand new hzj79 rear lights on my 1991 hzj75. PO had butchered all the sockets. Made good use of my test light as all wires were one stinking colour and or to thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom