Installing Lift Spacers: Driver or Passenger Side? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the process of installing my Donbinsons lift on the GX and need some guidance from those who’ve lifted theirs.

Mike @ Exit Off-road sent me the following items:

C59-314 coils in teal
GS59-700 struts in black
PS59-4030 front spacer
SC59-001 front strut mounts
C59-327 coils in teal
GS59-701 shocks in black
PS59-4025 rear spacer

So there’s two spacers, one for the front and one rear. I called him earlier and inquired and he said both go on the passenger side in an effort to fix KDSS lean. My confusion is I know KDSS lean isn’t always guaranteed. I also know Mike is Australian and passenger side might mean our driver side. I think I also know the stock height GX suffers from a drivers side lean, like most Toyotas.

In the rear, I installed the spacer on the passenger side and can easily take it out if it’s not needed or swap sides, but my main concern is the front. If I install the spacer on the wrong side, well that’s going to be a much bigger PITA to correct.

So those of you who’ve installed lifts, can you help shed some light on this for me?

Jake

Obligatory pics

C0B460B8-0E2E-4176-B489-FE39D7AA337C.jpeg
88222429-D090-48FC-971F-F8ABCBD3DE02.jpeg

Last edited:
I had to crank the the passenger side (in the US) coil over on my GX to correct for the KDSS lean.

The rear spacer would go on the back right corner, that's the side that it leans on. My lift netted 1/4" lean back there so I haven't messed with correcting it, it's not enough to bother me.

I had to crank the the passenger side (in the US) coil over on my GX to correct for the KDSS lean.

Did you release the KDSS valves when installing the lift? I've been trying to read up on the cause of the KDSS lean and if it's primarily because folks don't open up the valves when messing with it. I see some evidence that if that's the issue, you can correct the KDSS lean, post lift, by opening the valves and driving up on an object (say a wood 4x4) and thus don't need to compensate for it with a spacer...maybe.

Did you release the KDSS valves when installing the lift? I've been trying to read up on the cause of the KDSS lean and if it's primarily because folks don't open up the valves when messing with it. I see some evidence that if that's the issue, you can correct the KDSS lean, post lift, by opening the valves and driving up on an object (say a wood 4x4) and thus don't need to compensate for it with a spacer...maybe.
Yep, opened the valves and drove the truck on some blocks on driver side, rocked the truck a bit, then closed the valves, same lean. That’s when I cranked the passenger coil over to fix it.

The rear spacer would go on the back right corner, that's the side that it leans on. My lift netted 1/4" lean back there so I haven't messed with correcting it, it's not enough to bother me.

Ok, that's where I installed mine.

You didn't use a strut-top spacer on the front?

Ok, that's where I installed mine.

You didn't use a strut-top spacer on the front?

Ironman Foam Cell Pro kit, coilers, no spacers.

A42E98C9-3E63-42E5-A709-F42411AF2CD0.jpeg

Lift finished yesterday.

Results: Front is level left/right and rear passenger side is about 1/4” higher than drivers. Probably wait for it all to settle some, measure again and consider a different spacer for the rear. Thanks again for the wisdom fellas, front worked out perfectly.

Overall, a little more lift than I expected/wanted. Wife isn’t a fan, but she’s short and discriminates again a lift.

View attachment 2253711

Lift finished yesterday.

Results: Front is level left/right and rear passenger side is about 1/4” higher than drivers. Probably wait for it all to settle some, measure again and consider a different spacer for the rear. Thanks again for the wisdom fellas, front worked out perfectly.

Overall, a little more lift than I expected/wanted. Wife isn’t a fan, but she’s short and discriminates again a lift.

Looks good, but it should settle, especially in the rear. Mine hates that I always lift every vehicle we buy, but she warms up to it or gets over it in time haha.

Sounds like you sorted it out. Passenger side being USA driver's side. It's because the right side of these 150 platforms (regardless of what country they're in) have the fixed sway bar link on that right side, and they "hold down that side" of the vehicle, so generally a taller coil or a spacer would go on the right side to help push it up to compensate for the height. Low height lifts don't have this problem I've found.

Factory left to right is usually 1/2" difference, so anything less than that is good and I wouldn't mess with it beyond that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom