Installing an OME suspension on 97 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm brand new to ih8mud - thought I'd throw this out here. I recently had a come-to-Jesus talk with my 97 LX450 and she made it clear to me through a series of worn out parts and leaks that it's time for some restoration. Item 1: suspension. With the factory shocks all out, as well as the rear springs, I order the medium 2.5" old man emu suspension and plan on installing them in the next week or so. I've gotten a hold of some jack stands and tools, but I haven't swapped a suspension before. After reading through some reviews/tutorials, does anyone have any 'watch out' or must-have-particular-tool advice?

Thanks

Watch your brake lines, and undo at least the bottom of the shocks. Other than that, go fer it.

I swapped mine in the garage with an oak round, two questionable jack stands, and a broke arse jack. Got it done in 2 hours. Yes, i live in CA, but am as redneck as it gets. Family is form MS if that makes you feel better.

Did mine in sisters garage with VERY basic tools - must haves: Bfh (big f-in hammer), mapp gas (hotter than butane - good for those pesky bolts) and a pivoting socket for the drivers side top bolt on the drivers side shock. The step by step directions you can find on Slee (under lift kits they sell section) is KEY!!! All you need is right there! Invaluable instructions - everything else is pretty basic (cannot stress enough about the special socket for the top shock bolt on drivers side - just below the master cylinder...... It's in Slees instructions and I dared without it - was the longest part of the install by far!!! - worth the $7 at Sears or auto shop - swear to God!)

Pretty much what Crashdix says. Have a helper. Spray the front lower shock mounts (all the fasteners, really) with PBblaster. Follow the slee instructions. Get caster bushings from Slee and do your control arms at the same time.

Really is a pretty easy basic lift kit install.

The best tool you can have it is either electric or air impact gun. as it will make your life much easier and if you live anywhere near rust belt it will save you a lot of time and trouble with broken bolts especially lower rear shock bolts if you use the impact gun wisely.

There is no point to spray rear lower shock bolt as per design nothing will get in it. Everything what you will lubricate is the shock bushings.

I did my suspension in my parents garage at a cottage in about 2 hours.

a 20ton press is a must for the caster bushings. Look at Slee Off Roads website for great step by step instructions, including pictures... they show a couple little tricks that really help. makes it a no-brainer...

Nice. Thanks all. Looks like tomorrow's going to be fun. By the way, should some Hankook 295/75r16's work alright with the 2.5 lift?

Yep - easily fit and will fill wells nicely. I run 315/75/16 on mine with no rubbing

a 20ton press is a must for the caster bushings. Look at Slee Off Roads website for great step by step instructions, including pictures... they show a couple little tricks that really help. makes it a no-brainer...

I used a 12 ton on the caster bushings. However my ass was squeezed so tight hoping the press was not gonna break. It barely did it. I wish I bought the 20 ton however I got this one for $60.

Lifting it is fairly straight foward.

Thanks all. Finally faced the fact that the compressors we had weren't going to finish the job, so got the mechanic to help out after all and then finished her off with some good lookin MTs.
image-3230310614.jpg
image-2043654649.jpg

Next question for peeps with the 2.5 lift and 315-75-16 tires: what is the height of your truck? Can you still fit in a 6'8" garage? Factory roof rack. Empty truck, minimal (er, zero) armor, 3rd row seats removed.

I'm running km2s and just about ready to pull the trigger. Medium springs and probably Fox 2.0 reservoirs. And cc bushings of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom