Installing a Remote Start System on my 1995 FZJ80 - Where can I find a Tach Feed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I am installing a Remote Start/Keyless Entry system on my 1995 FZJ80. I have the factory manual and I am using a factory electrical manual for a 1996 model. I am unable to find the a wire that I can pull a tachometer feed from. Has anyone else had to find a tach signal? If so, where did you find it? (Note: I have installed a couple of these systems on 3rd gen 4runners and I was able to get a Tach Signal from the under hood diagnostic connector. I found the connector on my 80, but there is not a wire in the IG - (Ignition pulse output). Thanks!!

You can tap the ignition coils wire to get the tach signal (not the high voltage lead but rather the negative output. It's really just looking for a sustained pulse. There is also the tach signal to the ECU, this is shown in the EWD of the FSM as well. The ECU gets the signal from the distributor, at least it does on the obd1, pretty sure its the same for the obd2. The tach signal for the guage comes from the ignigter.

Image from 94FSM. NOTE that toyota uses ground switching for many circuits.
1612218645724.png

Last edited:
You can tap the igniter wire to get the tach signal. It's really just looking for a sustained pulse. There is also the tach signal to the ECU, this is shown in the EWD of the FSM as well. The ECU gets the signal from the distributor, at least it does on the obd1, pretty sure its the same for the obd2.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

you need to understand what your remote start is looking for, a positive pulse signal (meaning the input is positive and will ground through the remote starter's ground) or if it's looking for a switched ground (meaning the device has 12v at the remote start signal terminal that is looking for a ground to be switched on so it can complete the circuit). Because if it's looking for a 12v pulse input and you hook it up to a switched ground circuit it's not going to work because it won't "see the signal" it would be like running a ground wire to a switch then back to the ground and pulsing the switch, then using your voltmeter to measure bolts across the circuit. Your meter wouldn’t show anything because your not completing a circuit between positive and negative, imagine your meter as the computer looking for the signal. If it doesn’t show anything on the display then the ecu won’t see it..

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
you need to understand what your remote start is looking for, a positive pulse signal (meaning the input is positive and will ground through the remote starter's ground) or if it's looking for a switched ground (meaning the device has 12v at the remote start signal terminal that is looking for a ground to be switched on so it can complete the circuit). Because if it's looking for a 12v pulse input and you hook it up to a switched ground circuit it's not going to work because it won't "see the signal" it would be like running a ground wire to a switch then back to the ground and pulsing the switch, then using your voltmeter to measure bolts across the circuit. Your meter wouldn’t show anything because your not completing a circuit between positive and negative, imagine your meter as the computer looking for the signal. If it doesn’t show anything on the display then the ecu won’t see it..

Does that make sense?
Yes, that makes sense. It’s looking for a positive pulse signal. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

I just installed a remote start on my 1995(late model) as well and have been installing remote start/alarm systems for a lot of years.

You will find a black wire at the igniter(see picture) which is on the left side (US driver's side) that you can confirm with a multimeter reading A/C voltage. It should increase voltage as RPM's increase, I believe it was around 4-6 volts. The purple wire is going into the cab and connecting to the tach signal wire on the remote start.
20210203_110319_resized.jpg

I just installed a remote start on my 1995(late model) as well and have been installing remote start/alarm systems for a lot of years.

You will find a black wire at the igniter(see picture) which is on the left side (US driver's side) that you can confirm with a multimeter on A/C voltage. It should increase voltage as RPM's increase. The purple wire is going into the cab and connecting to the tach signal wire on the remote start. View attachment 2574320
Great info! I'll tap that wire and test it. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom