Inner axel seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed ARB with 4.11 with all new seals. Now left side is leaking already. Who sell those special inner axel seals here on mud. Searched faq.

Call Marlin Crawler for the best inner axle seals.

Make sure your axle housing breather is clear and breathing, otherwise the air has to find another path out.

Installation

Must have boogered it..........

Call Marlin Crawler for the best inner axle seals.
Dern right, I plan to never bother with OEM style again, only Marlin's.
1. Watch your installation technique, as mentioned. Don't allow the shaft to lever on the seal as it's slid in position.
2. A very remote possibility is also a bent shaft. However, assuming it wasn't leaking prior to the ARB job, I'm going with #1.

"Don't allow the shaft to lever on the seal as it's slid in position."

. . . . . Partial hijack...

Any hints on avoiding that when installing 'long' side shaft ?

Maybe my hands arent' strong enough, I almost 'have to' use the seal to pivot the shaft into the diff.

Thanks,

Pete

I personally use my greasy fingers as a fulcrum while sliding the shaft home. (Jesus, that sounds like a line for rChat) I understand it's a pain to get the splines engaged with the diff, but I push one hand up while pushing the other down (and vice-versa as needed) while also turning in a circle and pushing in. It eventually pops in place. I hear of guys using coat hangers bent into a hook, but that's never seemed stiff enough for the leverage needed.

Edit: After a reread of the above, it seems I didn't describe anything you aren't already doing. The difference might be in really focusing on using your hand nearest the seal as the fulcrum, instead of the seal. Sorry, no real :idea: moment from me, it seems.

My techniques in no particular order
  • a little gear oil on the seal as you install the axle
  • make sure the seal goes into a clean/burr free hole
  • makes sure the seal seats fully and properly
  • look at the axle to check where the seal has been running (should be on the shinny surface) controlled by the C-clips or Mar-tack.
  • Make sure that shinny surface is smooth
  • Use the SST to verify the axle is located corectly by the turnion bearings (I never done this)

HTH,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom