Ingenius suspension idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That would seem to allow very little spring twist. Not to mention the sliding pucks are going to wear much faster than two pivot points. But I'm sure the guys at Pirate have figured all that out.

EDIT- Yep, they do.

Last edited:
i'm trying to remember back, like 6-7 yrs ago at least when i first saw those, somebody here in AZ did that, maybe campbell? my point is that they didnt catch on, maybe for a reason?

I went through a lot of threads on this setup. The complaints I found were from people who didn't install it correctly, like using the bushing in the bolt holes; otherwise I couldn't find much bad about them. I did hear more on road performance improvement over offroad improvement though.

I am going to do more digging, but I am liking some of the engineering data I am coming across.

Conventional front shackles have two extra bushing positions for a softer and quieter ride. They also allow for more lateral flex, which on the trail is a good thing. Setting up the exact position on the frame to establish minimum and maximum travel would be challenging. With shackles you can do a lot of easy length adjustments to allow for this. John

They were popular in the eighties and nineties on circle track and dirt track cars. I built quite a few for dirt track Camaros and such but used sealed ball bearings rather than the UHMW pucks. It worked well on cars because they don't have to articulate. They wouldn't hold up to a lot of twisting

what if they were set up with a heim joint of some sort inside of the military wrap?

They were popular in the eighties and nineties on circle track and dirt track cars. I built quite a few for dirt track Camaros and such but used sealed ball bearings rather than the UHMW pucks. It worked well on cars because they don't have to articulate. They wouldn't hold up to a lot of twisting

Perhaps. I looked at that, having the assembly mounted to a pivot that allowed it to rock right to left as the spring twisted, but that would negate on of it's positive features.....it's ultra low profile. I was also concerned how smoothly the slides would work when you're slogging through deep mud.
The whole concept of the system was to limit spring twisting and side to side deflection.
While very positive attributes on a street racer it would put some interesting stresses on the system
making your way through the Little Sluice at Rubicon. A heim would alleviate a lot of that but now you're talking new springs with a spring eye diameter of around 4" with a mil wrap about 2.5 without. You'd need to redesign the hanger to accept that size eye. Alcan will build them with heims if you want to be the guinea pig

We always enjoy reading feedback from customers, afterall, that's what helps make a product better.

If you have any specific questions regarding the sliders, we'll be happy to answer them.

I know they tighten up the handling on the road but when you take away that potential deflection in the bushings you risk breaking a spring eye. This truck weighs about 6000 lbs. When it flexes something needs to give.

IMG_3863rs.jpg

IMG_3860rs.jpg

IMG_3862rs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom