In dash CB radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you Fishie! This confirms that I do not want to go with the 4' antenna.

Rat Patrol - If you are willing to fork over the other 11/12s of that cost, I would be happy to give you my antenna mount. Until then please keep your comments constructive.

Thank you Fishie! This confirms that I do not want to go with the 4' antenna.

Rat Patrol - If you are willing to fork over the other 11/12s of that cost, I would be happy to give you my antenna mount. Until then please keep your comments constructive.

Just saying, I wish I went with a 4' just because it would've been better for signal. Although I can understand why you wouldn't want to, but that's just my personal opinion :)

Ok, so I'm mid install and I can't figure out how to get the CB into the dash... There don't seem to be holes that match up with the CB radio. Please take a pic for me!

Deleted

Last edited:
There should be 4 small holes pre drilled in each side of the wx18, just keep trying with the stock din mounts until it lines up just right, tomorrow I am taking mine apart again to check my swr after I installed a better ground, I'll take some pics for ya

Last edited:
FF - can you take a picture of your cruiser with the 3 ft installed? I'm curious to see how it looks

FF - can you take a picture of your cruiser with the 3 ft installed? I'm curious to see how it looks

Yeah sure, I'll take it tomorrow morning. We can trade pics, your CB mount for my antenna :D seems fair

Your turn!

image-4267492678.jpg

It's a tight fit to put the dash cover on! I barely make it, I tried to shave the pioneer bezel down and it helped a little

It's a tight fit to put the dash cover on! I barely make it, I tried to shave the pioneer bezel down and it helped a little

Thanks bud! I got the entire install done, I just need to wire up the coax and I'm all done :D

You guys seriously need to consider doing a HAM course and complete the technician level. $75 was a little less than 1/2 the cost of my new Yaesu FT-60 dual band handheld with a new Diamond Antenna. From the content of this post, you all would find the tech course & test pretty easy and probably would want to go for the General & Extra. Just sayin.

You guys seriously need to consider doing a HAM course and complete the technician level. $75 was a little less than 1/2 the cost of my new Yaesu FT-60 dual band handheld with a new Diamond Antenna. From the content of this post, you all would find the tech course & test pretty easy and probably would want to go for the General & Extra. Just sayin.

Lol as fun as that would be, I'm trying to get into college for finance and real estate at the moment. Gotta keep focus as best as I can

True, and this is in my future. Do you now if having a GROL (Ground Radiotelephone Operator License) allows me to own a HAM? I will be taking this exam shortly, along with my Airframe and Powerplant.

Technically, anybody can own a HAM (radio); operation without the appropriate license (less certain exemptions) is the no-no. Getting back to the intent of your question, it was my understanding that the GROL does not allow the cert holder to operate a HAM radio (station).

Ripped from the FCC:

"NOTE: Possession of a commercial radio operator license or permit does not authorize an individual to operate amateur or GMRS radio stations. Only a person holding an amateur or GMRS radio operator license may operate an amateur or GMRS radio station."

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=wncol

I declare that I am no expert with this, and would like to have other's opinions regarding this area. The HAM test probably wouldn't be a big deal - just directed to amateur stuff. The technical side with electronics and gizmos would be really easy for you. I did the Technician a couple years ago and will probably do the General at some point. Not sure if I would do the Extra unless I was really going to pursue being a volunteer test examiner. But, I did have some kids (late teens) that were testing for their Extras when I tested, and there was also one as a volunteer test examiner. Friggin geeks & nerds. In a good way, tho.

Would really like to get my A&P - just for the fun of learning the detail of systems and structures down to nut, bolt, rivet, connector and wire.

Wow, thank you for finding that info!

He's right, only a HAM can operate a HAM, no limits on ownership or listening though.

If you do get a HAM lisc, you may decide to rip the CB out of the dash and sell it though ;)

The HAM Tech test is easy if you prep a little, go for it.

You may also find that you want both. Here locally, there are few HAM operators, which is why I am sticking with CB for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom