Importing non-USA rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
Okay first of all I realize that this would be much easier if I had pictures but my camera was dead at the time.

Last fall I was in Moab, Utah and came accross a couple from Denmark in a 75series troopie. HDJ maybe? We talked to them for about 30minutes about their Cruiser and their North American journey. One thing on the truck stood out more to me than the rest, the black Toyota rims. They looked very similar to a stock US spec 80 rims but they were black and had a center cap with "Toyota" on it instead of the the symbol. The problem with the rims is that they were 5 lug.

Anyone have a clue what i'm talking about and if so what is the chance they are available in a 6 lug pattern with the proper backspacing for a US 80? Sourcing them will be another issue I'll tackle if I can find a set to fit my truck.
thanks,
dmc

That'll be a 79 series troopy. Likely hzj79 though I've hear the factory turbo version is now available. Everything went five bolt around '98.

As far as wheels go. Toyota makes virtually all their alloy wheels in Richmond BC but its nearly impossible to get anything from the dealer that did not come on a NA spec truck. If the wheel you were looking for were available in south America and you could get a part number, your dealer might be able to get them out of the California warehouse.

Good Luck

only other option other than what Lowenbrau said, you could call ENS. when I was looking for 16 rims for my truck we talked and they gave me part numbers. certain ones like a -3 ending are silver and -1 might be black, but not for sure. Call ENS. They are in saskatchewan.

Its not easy getting the part numbers. if you call the dealer they cannot help you for non na vehicles. but if you got a part number you are almost there. They might as he said get them out of california.

maybe one of the az members here can help you with that number. But you have to tell them exactly what you need with a pic. and vehicle type they came on. then they can get the part number.

hope that helps.

i tried to get a set for the 2000 HZJ79 but the dealers said not on NA micro so they are not allowed to source anymore...
try ENS toyota...

that was quick

Man you international guys are all over it. Thanks for the quick replies. Sorry about not knowing it was a 79series Troopy. Believe me I wish I had access to them so I could tell the difference. Any chance any of you guys have a pic of the rims to help me in my search? I think I spent almost two hours online looking for one. I did find this site however...

http://www.brian894x4.com/FOREIGNTOYOTAMAINPAGE.html

which i really like.

Is ENS an acronym or is that the company name in Sask? Okay I found it. ENS Lexus/Toyota?
thanks,
dmc

ENS use to have a sister site for the mine cruisers but its been gone for a while now

crushers said:
ENS in Saskabush...
cheers

nope, its here

http://www.ensindustrial.ca/

for your info Wayne,
I spoke about the 79 rims to them a while back, 80 for the one piece, 153 for spilt rims.

Call them for anything non NA. They can source everything 75 or 79. Not sure if it was something only on a troopie.

brownbear said:
nope, its here

http://www.ensindustrial.ca/

for your info Wayne,
I spoke about the 79 rims to them a while back, 80 for the one piece, 153 for spilt rims.

Call them for anything non NA. They can source everything 75 or 79. Not sure if it was something only on a troopie.
thanks BB

Isee they primarily deal with 70 series.Do you guys think that they would be able to get 60 series rims that are like thes ones in the pictureor the ones on the same sitwe under the landcruiser heading(I like the green looking rims more but I think those are split rims,no?.
Or do the 70 series rims have the same bolt pattern as well as backspacing as the 60 series.

http://www.ensindustrial.ca/index.html

If its not a 5 bolt they fit. Of course all 60's are 6 Bolts.

Since the axle geometry and knuckles are similar, the rims work perfect.

If you buy split rims you will have to do your tire changes. Most shops will not touch them.

Split rims look good on a 60 or 70, but that wouldn't be right on a 80. Too damm skinny.

80's guys put like 315's on there trucks. I am not sure if you could squeeze that on a 5.5 or 6 inch rim.

235's and 7.50r16's are the norm on those rims. Most 70's in mines are 7.50r16s

Here is a close up ,for those that wanted it,of a 75 series split rim in the standard colour
robs pics 025 (Small).jpg

When I got my HJ-45, it had split rims. The Discount Tire here in Houston was willing to break them down for me; however, they would NOT mount anything on them. Only one guy in the shop (the manager) had even seen split rims before. I retired those bad boys and went more modern.

i will be removing them from my PZ shortly, if anyone wants them shoot me a line...
403-701-8058

why would you want them? advantages, disadvantages?

That industrial toyota site looks really cool wonder how much for an entire truck?

last i heard it was close to $60,000 for a cab and chassis...
some people like the splits for the look, ease of tire changing....
cheers

I seem to recall that splits are fairly popular in Oz, where they can be quite useful when forced to change out a flat in the bush. You can carry tubes (or tube repair kits) and tires not already mounted, thus saving a good deal of weight as you don't need spare rims. These suckers are HEAVY!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom