Impact socket loose/wear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
While doing some work on the truck last weekend had a new one, the impact socket I've used for years (22mm for the 100), the lug nut bound up in it. Had to tap a couple of them out from the drive side. Just need a new socket or maybe the lug nuts are rounding a little from the years? I know both wear, but I wouldn't think it was enough to wedge into socket.

Impact sockets are made of higher-carbon steel, so that they won't round off and can stand the beating from an impact gun - but there are some pretty cheap-ass impact sockets out there sold at discount places and auto parts stores. Who made yours?

inspect the socket internally to see if you note any issues and then the nut in question. The other question is to make sure you are using the right size socket on the right size nut. Don't mix and match across metric and SAE without understanding that you will at some point come across this very issue, either you'll damage the lug nuts/nut or may potentially damage the sockets.

Impact sockets will wear, but generally that takes a very long time, if used correctly on the right size nuts. The average person I would not expect to see much wear for the DIY / hobby type person.

Could be the lugs? Are they like other OEM Toyota ones that have a thin chromed steel shell over them? They deform over time.

Other thought..... 22MM?? Almost all other Toyota trucks use a 21MM. FJs, 80s, Tacos, 4Runners.... sure its 22?

Yeah, 100's are 22mm. I got a special "lug socket" that's some green alloy and deep, we'll see if it's any better. I can jiggle a loose lug nut in the impact socket just slightly, but not at all in my chrome 6 point Craftsman.

I went to check my older (10+ yrs but used only maybe monthly if that, if that matters) HF impact socket. 6 points. Long. Black. It is sufficiently snug. Less play than a regular chrome socket I also just checked. YMMV.
I measured the lugs at 21.95mm and the socket at 22.3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom