Immobilizer Fix (Different Approach) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was thinking another approach to the immobilizer issue would be to pull the wiring harness. At the moment, my 98 LX is not giving me the crank-no-start issue because I replaced the fuse but I don't know if it will come back. Currently waiting on a new fuse box in the mail.

But I opened up the radio panel and pulled the first plug on the left, closest to drivers side (see pic) The security light stopped flashing right away and this was without the key in the ignition. I figured if it disables the immobilizer, this could potentially be a permanent fix. The truck started right up after pulling the plug.

However, obviously, there are other wires in that harness. Does anyone have access to a wiring harness diagram for this plug?

If we can identify the correct wire for the immobilizer, we can just cut it, tape it off and potentially never have to worry about the immobilizer issue again.

This is my hypothesis.
Does anyone have the diagram?
Can anyone else test this and report their experience.

20210321_161156.jpg

20210321_161216.jpg

With that unplugged, can you also start the truck if the plug is disconnected from the RF sensor at the ignition switch?

****. Well I just tested this while the truck is not cranking now. Unfortunately it didn't work. The dam immobilizer is still activated and it's cranking but not starting. Seems the wiring harness only turns the security light off 😣

I wonder, is there another place where we can remove the immobilizer or cut a wire for an immobilizer? If it is an actual physical object

With that unplugged, can you also start the truck if the plug is disconnected from the RF sensor at the ignition switch?
How to find the RF sensor? Wondering if that would work. Or some way to completely disable the immobilizer

But I opened up the radio panel and pulled the first plug on the left, closest to drivers side (see pic) The security light stopped flashing right away and this was without the key in the ignition. I figured if it disables the immobilizer, this could potentially be a permanent fix. The truck started right up after pulling the plug.
How does having immobilizer disabled can permanently fix a bad fuse box?

Reactions: jLB
f***. Well I just tested this while the truck is not cranking now. Unfortunately it didn't work. The dam immobilizer is still activated and it's cranking but not starting. Seems the wiring harness only turns the security light off 😣
yeah, my first thought was you were just turning off the light/ indicator and not bypassing the immobilizer like @medtro does.

How does having immobilizer disabled can permanently fix a bad fuse box?
I'm not saying it would fix a bad fuse box. I'm not an electrical expert but I thought maybe if there was a way to disable immobilizer maybe it would at least prevent one from being stranded and then fix the fuse box issue after getting home. Either way the fuse box would still need to be fixed

yeah, my first thought was you were just turning off the light/ indicator and not bypassing the immobilizer like @medtro does.
Yeah. But does the kit disable the immobilizer or does it fix the fuse box issue and make the immobilizer properly recognize the key

I'm not saying it would fix a bad fuse box. I'm not an electrical expert but I thought maybe if there was a way to disable immobilizer maybe it would at least prevent one from being stranded and then fix the fuse box issue after getting home. Either way the fuse box would still need to be fixed
All you need is 16” of wire and you can bypass the fuse box and not get stranded.
28C75B85-D9C5-4CF9-95AE-5134C5296CCD.png

I made a relay rewire kit for a few$ and it has worked for 3 years. The ‘immobilizer’ problem has to do with resistance in the fuse box, which causes voltage to drop enough so ECU kicks on the immobilizer. The ECU fuse needs to be have a clean connection - just by cleaning the contacts I got it to work for over a year before resorting to re-wiring.
- Kevin.
(My rewire looks similar to medtro’s but I use a different 12v fused source)

Yeah. But does the kit disable the immobilizer or does it fix the fuse box issue and make the immobilizer properly recognize the key
I believe either you are confused, or I am confused....

You seem to indicate that you think that the immobilizer recognizing the key is the "cause" of the issue.

My understanding is that the EFI relay circuit (in the under hood fusebox) is the issue, and the immobilizer light is just a symptom, or indicator of the problem. It would seem to me, that without a working EFI circuit, you're not going to get fuel, so immobilizer/no-immobilizer really doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom