I'm getting close to an M416..3 of em'!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys this is a great story you'll appreciate. First there are NO M416 trailers to be found in Texas....I have searched for months and nothing. So, I had to take a 100 mile trip for my job today.
As we all know, you hear stories about finding a "treasure " ...i.e. a pristine FJ40 in a barn under a tarp etc..etc...
I left today for my trip thinking "OK, I need to find a Old Military Vehicle surplus shop off the highway that has M416 trailers" Sounds real stupid I know....What are the odds on a 100 mile trip right ...I mean WHAT ARE THE ODDS?? So, while enroute, NO LUCK.
I return back from my job and head east toward home.

And There they were..........

I did a double take and saw Sand colored Military trucks, wrecked airplanes ...and 2 Military jeeps. I do a U-turn in the grassy medium and got stuck in the mud....up to my bumpers. A passing PASTOR pulls up within 1 minute and pulls me out. Divine intervention?????? ( I can't make this stuff up).

I pull up to the shop and there they were....THREE M416's. Just sitting there. They were rusty of course but apppeared to be solid. They were behind a locked fence and I could not get in. the place was closed so I left a message on the gate for him to call me. We'll see what happens.
QUESTION: What do I need to look for on these things..will the old wheels hold up to a return 50 mile trip??
airlaird

Well, let me hear from the guy first. I'll keep this location close to me for now...too many Texas foks on this list ;)) Apparently, he only goes to his shop on Saturday's...so I'll see if he calls.
airlaird

close to em

I think I drove past that place on one of my many trips across Texas. Bring air to fill up the tires and see if you can wrangle a spare wheel.

Tires should be fine as long as they hold air, I would be worried about the wheel bearings and axle needing service. The trailer is not heavy so you should be able to flip it up on end to get a good look at them. Probably should bring some grease.

Make sure you have a complete front foot assembly. It should swing freely and lock horizontally and vertically.

Make sure the hand brake engages and releases.

The tubs are not very thick so find one that isn't too beat up and doesn't have much rust.

Check all mods carefully (lighting, lunnette to tow ball, lift gate). I'm not opposed to them but they need to be done right to maintain the intergrity.

That's all I can think of.

No luck

Well, I drove out there again (about 60 miles) and found my last message I left him taped to his gate....had been torn off. I found it on the ground. Apparently he is an eccentric guy. he has no phone number and his shop is so rural...there's no way to call him. But, my investigative skills came through and I tracked him down ;))).
I will be calling him tomorrow. With any luck, he'll agree to sell me an M416.
I sure hope so...he has MANY MORE SCATTERED ON HIS LAND...I have seen about 5 so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
airlaird

Well, I drove out there again (about 60 miles) and found my last message I left him taped to his gate....had been torn off. I found it on the ground. Apparently he is an eccentric guy. he has no phone number and his shop is so rural...there's no way to call him. But, my investigative skills came through and I tracked him down ;))).
I will be calling him tomorrow. With any luck, he'll agree to sell me an M416.
I sure hope so...he has MANY MORE SCATTERED ON HIS LAND...I have seen about 5 so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
airlaird

I'd tread lightly, my friend.

Eccentric + militarty equipment = ?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I know where they are. As many times as I have been by there. Not much changes. He doesn't strike me as the sort that sells a lot after it arrives. Good Luck.

You might try finding something to trade. Eccentric collectors like that aren't in it for the money, they are in it for the stuff - if you've got something interesting to trade, and you approach it from a 'I've got something you might like' rather than 'I want to take something you've spent time collecting' you might be able to talk him into swapping you for a trailer or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom