I'm back...still looking for a 100... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all...still on the prowl for a 100...

i know i have been just taking from this board and not really giving anything back, but...

any thoughts on a price point for these 2 100's on ebay...pickings have been slim lately...i know the '01 has close to 90k but from what i have read here a lot of people trade before the 90k service so may be a good negotiating point...plus they r just getting broken in right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-T...62QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6443QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

been mainly looking for an 01 or newer but this is '99 is local...any quick thoughts on the locker vs the vtrac (?? do i have that rite)...will do a little search here and check slee guide...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...50QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6443QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my guess is 18-19k on the '01 w/o service? so the 99 s/b less? but i think i read here that the 98-99 gap to 01-02 is pretty small now??

the 100 would be wife dd as well as family truckster for off pavement camp trips, beach, desert, etc...pulling a capable pop up...2 kids 2 adults

also what bout WNGROG's (i think Nolan is his name...sorry if i am incorrect) SWEETLY modded 100 that is still maybe for sale??

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=133060

i am not sure if the lift and tires will turn the wifey off?? or if the ride would be less smooth?? she loves the stock smooth ride. i will contact wngrog when i read his post...would love to buy from a member....

thanks yet again for the help
bill

so to continue the quest...

tonite looked at this 2000 w/91k...they just dropped the price from 20977 to 19977...NO 90k service done yet

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&engine=&doors=&style_flag=1&fuel=&cardist=30

it was in pretty good shape for a 1 owner, had the brush guards (i know, i know)...some dings to be expected but nonsmoker, clean, and all records in glove box (i know was very odd for a used dealer...) ,ding in windshield, cloudy rear view, everything worked...only 1 key

new pads and new tires 80k-ish (tires seemed larger than stock and a little noisier...they were 270/70s...forgot to write down)
new battery, new starter at around 45k, throttle body replaced, ex mani fixed?...lots of oil changes, engine bay looked really clean (cleaner than the body?)

drove decent but felt like something weird with steerin, brakes and/or alignment...not sure if something major??

worked the tranny a bit esp after reading that pre-01 trannies can die...but didnt noticed any slipping...

anything else?? any thoughts on price and/or concerns?? how much could i have to drop into her worse case??

also noticed there is an 03 w/77k for 25.5$ that i may look at...price seems a bit on the lowish side??

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&engine=&doors=&style_flag=1&fuel=&cardist=51

as always thanks for the help
bill

wow, just did an autotrader search for 2003 nationwide...that one is the cheapest...will have to get carfax and find out what is up...

Hey boze_man-

Sorry you haven't had any responses. Must have been bad timing or something.

Wow, that's tough. $5500 for a newer updated model, but only 14k less in mileage. Probably the 2000 model at this point for me. Do you want a nav equipped model? Check the FAQ for TSB's on each model.

Carfax will only tell you were it was registered and when it changed hands, not if it's been in an accident. So many buyers get duped into thinking a clean Carfax title=no accidents. FYI, my honda prelude was t-boned 2 yrs ago, rear inner and outer body panels replaced, yet the carfax is clean. Body shop did a top quality job. The only telltale is there's no sticker in the driver's side door anymore...original one got damaged when the body guy sazalled out the quarter panel (all the way up to the driver's door eventhough that part wasn't damaged; still, another complete panel had to be spliced in). And for major repair like this, the magnet trick for detecting bondo won't work, as there really is no filler (just where the new pane tucks under the old panel above the door).

25K for the 03 is certainly worth the look - that is low. The only picture that tells me anything is the wheel, which looks oxidized or something - sure minor and does not tell much, but may indicate what the rest looks like. It can not be perfect for 25, unless the South is having a hard time selling 4X4's with gas prices on the rise.

The 2000 for 19K is a tad high, on the other hand the more I drive mine, the harder it would be for me to let it go for under $20K and it has 120K miles. Read the FAQ for the differences in years, you get more with the 2000 and even more with the 2003.
Best of luck

thanks to everyone for the feedback...

regarding the 2000...it did have all stickers on the doors so should be accident free (at least the doors are)...i also have the name of dealership and the owners name as well, may give a call to dig up some more info...

regarding the 2003...i called the dealer and asked them to fax me the carfax...they wouldnt...then i asked some general ?? bout the LC...they put me thru to the internet manager...he tells me the price is wrong and should be 26.9k...odd to say the least...may take a ride down there after work to take a look see...but now the spread between the 2 is wider...

18k for the 2000 sound bout fair? what would be the most 19k? NO 90k service, thats bout 1k?

will keep ya updated...

I got my 2000 with 93K on the odo (90k service was not done) for 17K. I have spent about 300 in parts and ~750 in labor for the 90K service items so far and I still have to do the coolant flush, spark plugs replaced and the front and rear diff fluids replaced. I think I would have been able to get it for about $500 less. It had new tires though.

Unless you are a DIYer, it will cost you 12-1800 for the 90k Service, IMHO.

thanks to everyone for the feedback...

regarding the 2000...it did have all stickers on the doors so should be accident free (at least the doors are)...i also have the name of dealership and the owners name as well, may give a call to dig up some more info...

regarding the 2003...i called the dealer and asked them to fax me the carfax...they wouldnt...then i asked some general ?? bout the LC...they put me thru to the internet manager...he tells me the price is wrong and should be 26.9k...odd to say the least...may take a ride down there after work to take a look see...but now the spread between the 2 is wider...

18k for the 2000 sound bout fair? what would be the most 19k? NO 90k service, thats bout 1k?

will keep ya updated...

...i called the dealer and asked them to fax me the carfax...they wouldnt....

You need to break down and spend the $25 for the one month unlimited Carfax subscription. It comes in very handy when you are scouring multiple vehicles on the net daily.

Most of the ebay and Autotrader ads list the VIN. You can run the Carfax before wasting your time on phone calls. I did this when I was buying - I found Cruisers with odometer issues, accidents, "clean Arizona cars" that had been in Minnesota for 8 years and AZ for 6-months, cars that had changed hands & been auctioned off several times in a 1-2 year period, etc.

new LC

I just purchased a 2003 LC. Sold my FJ for it... spent close to 8 weeks looking for the right one. Finally found one for 28k and talked him down slightly... cleanest one I could fine. 61k miles on it with some minor scratches, but they buffed out fine... did the Carfax and it came back clean, but I'm still a little worried about why this one was so much cheaper than any other I had found... had it checked out by local Toyota dealer and they said it was sound and very well maintained... do guys think there's something I missed?

I just purchased a 2003 LC. Sold my FJ for it... spent close to 8 weeks looking for the right one. Finally found one for 28k and talked him down slightly... cleanest one I could fine. 61k miles on it with some minor scratches, but they buffed out fine... did the Carfax and it came back clean, but I'm still a little worried about why this one was so much cheaper than any other I had found... had it checked out by local Toyota dealer and they said it was sound and very well maintained... do guys think there's something I missed?

Sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy it.

UPDATE...the 2k is gone i think...

but came across a local 2001 LC silver/grey int w/77k miles w/nav...fully serviced (60 k done, serp belt) at lexus dealer where seller works, but nothing in system since he works with the wrenches...2 owner...new tires ...crk'd windshield, couple of blemishes, carpets stained from kids etc...carfax is clean....$21k as-is or 21.5$ and he will sort windshield, dings, and get carpets cleaned/stained (???) and if i get set of silver emblems he will replace gold ones...says will make look new

havent looked yet but very close to home so will later today or tomoorow morn...wife is gonna look today (it will be her's to drive and for family camp trips etc)

i asked if was ever in accident and he said as far as he knows NO (his wife has driven for 3+ yrs) ...says had car looked and doesnt appear to have been in accident...he said he bought it certified from a local dealer any idea how to confirm that???

any idea on price?? seems fair?? anything else to check??

thanks again for the help...
bill

sorry i meant replace gold emblems with stock chrome...or should i go with the black pearl???

The 01 sounds very good. You might ask around at the dealership and find out how others feel he maintained his vehicle. Sometimes mechanics do great on theirs, for some their own is the last one they will work on. However, working at a Lexus dealership probably means he maintained it well to show a Toyota was not inferior to a Lexus.

I would probably opt for the 21.5 and have him do all the make ready - you would probably have to spend close to that anyway - he will likely do an excellent job.

Check the audio to make sure it does not have too much bass. He should have all the keys - if not has the ability to get them thru the dealer.

The 01 has some nice improvements over the 00 - relatively minor, but nice. For example, all windows are one touch up/down.

I spoke to my dealer and found why Lexus does the timing belt at 60K, it is so they can look at the other components (water pump, crank/cam seals, etc.) and determine if any need replacement under the powertrain warranty (through 70K). It sounds like the 01 LC is ready to go. The 90K maintenance will be like the 30K, and the next biggie is 120K when you need to do the spark plugs.

You will also gain a mechanic resource who will likely give valuable advice over the years.

gonna take a look see at the 01 today...wifey went yday and was not impressed about the cosmetics...and the seller is a salesman...not the end of the world but will have to look later today...

wife felt that first impressions are important and she didnt get a warm fuzzy bout it...also my 9yo daughter was like.."we r not buying this truck are we?, but the back seat was comfortable..." kids are funny...

i wish she had seen the 00 that i looked at above would have been interesting to see what she thought...

maybe have to run and see the 03 i refeerence...stay tuned sports fans, this saga is going into extra innings....

enjoy the holiday weekend
bill

gonna take a look see at the 01 today...wifey went yday and was not impressed about the cosmetics...and the seller is a salesman...not the end of the world but will have to look later today...

wife felt that first impressions are important and she didnt get a warm fuzzy bout it...also my 9yo daughter was like.."we r not buying this truck are we?, but the back seat was comfortable..." kids are funny...

i wish she had seen the 00 that i looked at above would have been interesting to see what she thought...

maybe have to run and see the 03 i refeerence...stay tuned sports fans, this saga is going into extra innings....

enjoy the holiday weekend
bill

I would listen to your wife, if she wasn't impressed with the cosmetics and she wasn't impressed with the seller I would look some where else.

regarding the 2003 w/77k...i called the dealer and asked them to fax me the carfax...they wouldn't...then i asked some general ?? bout the LC...they put me thru to the internet manager...he tells me the price is wrong not 25.4$ but should be 26.9$...odd to say the least...may take a ride down there after work to take a look see...but now the spread between the 2 is wider...

since the wife wasn't too hip on the '01 i took her to see the '03 (as above)...the LC showed a lot better than the photos in the autotrader ad attached from above...from a distance truck looked new and wife was very excited, but upon closer inspection it was fairly scuffed and scratched, etc all over, but s/b able to buff out...also some paint peel on the lower plastic rear bumper, windshield was clean, door tags present, clean interior except for plastic trim pulled loose behind rear passenger seat (not sure it broken or detached...odd)...everything else worked as it should, but unfortunately only 1 key

couple concerns:
brakes squeal (so figure new pads, hopefully just pads)
tires were not bad...say 50%
tranny issue, maybe detected an ever so slight slip?? cause for alarm??
no record of any services ever preformed...60k who knows if done?? who knows if oil was ever changed aside from this dealer doing it to sell it?? if vehicle was pristine would prob believe they were done but in the condition it was in who knows...??

drove straight, no pullin while under heavy braking, good accel w/ no lurching, a/c good...mileage 77k and dealer wants 26.9$, carfax shows 1 owner but no history since apr 2006...wife kinda thought the '01 drove better...UGH :crybaby:

so how much to safely budget to condition this truck?? or to cover anything i may be overlooking?? any thoughts on how to proceed?? LC was only an hour away so may run back monday to look over.... am i crazy to consider this LC with no history and in this beat up condition???

also was gonna sell my wifes suv outrite but they will give a decent price on trade-in so the tax saving will help a little...easy to just swap keys and go, but that just brings another variable into the equation....

any thoughts appreciated :D

hope everyone is enjoying the holiday evening...weather here sux
later
bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom