IH I’m about to buy a Scout ii HELP PLZ!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I’m about to (hopefully) buy a 1977 scout ii for $3300

I personally think it’s a really good deal ($3300) but yes there’s some things wrong with it and a few things I need to ask you. I don’t know much at all of the scouts!

It has a v8 but the lady says it came from the factory with only one bank operable for a 4cyl motor from a v8 block.. is this correct? And if so how reliable and how rare is this?

With the pictures shown, do you think this is a fair deal? Would you buy this? (100k Miles)

What are things to be weary of?

Is this too much rust or normal amount of rust for the year?

This needs the following. With your best guess, how much will this run me?

new latches for the rear hatch window.
New door latches for drivers and passenger side.
New gas pedal connecting arm
Rust repair
New rear window hatch handle
New seat upholstery
New grill or repaired grill
Headlight housing
And probably a good run through of the fluids.

Ok here’s the pictures, thank you guys again so much for the help!!

0DF6DA6A-736F-4E1F-9BD2-BD9F4C34F6AD.jpeg

E64CC48D-FE70-46D3-8706-37F9ECF419D8.jpeg

F6E13A55-E0E3-4299-BC80-E50F840A5097.jpeg

1D352C33-0A42-43AF-886C-CA299C146463.jpeg

42F4C66A-E1E4-40C8-8B10-57D9AA8BD491.jpeg

That’s a slant 4, yes it’s half of a V8. Nobody calls it a V8, it only has 4 cylinders.

Try BinderPlanet.com

There’s very little IH activity here.

Don't know too much other than they are cool, this one has the odd half of a V8 engine, and the values of Scouts in general are on the rise so that is a positive.

The list could easily hit $8-10k without paint if you are hiring it done. I would figure another $5k-$10k for paint depending on if it is Earl Shieb or an average vintage car paint job.

Good luck could be a fun project!

Last edited:
The 4 cylinder is the least desirable of the engines offered in the Scout lineup, though they're not a bad motor for durability. Scout also had a 232 inline six and three V-8's- 266, 304 and 345.
I had the 4 banger in a first generation Scout, then the 345 in a Scout II. A world of difference! The 4 is quite underpowered, even for a go slow guy like me.
Parts will be difficult to source. Of course, the biggest issue is body rust. OMG, they're really bad in this department. Good luck!

My college roommate had/has the same year same color, but his is the 345 with an automatic. I’ve always thought they were cool. Look up coonrods in grant Colorado-he has any scout part you need.

You're taking on alot here. Again, not much on this forum for that. I would be more into a pre-1960's IH pickup cab and chassis, as I wouldn't have as much of this rust to deal with.

I remember a few of these surviving up to the late 1990's, but not many past that.

While it may seem cool, it has the following:

- all of the rust of a poorly kept Landcruiser with less of the support, and worse mechanical design. Parts may be unavailable for yours.

- way more rust than an old Landrover, with none of the ample parts availability.

Op hasn’t been back since the day he posted this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom