ignition switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help. I can't turn the switch. The other day some problem happened. I jiggled it for awhile, and it became free. Tonight I sprayed wd-40 up in there, to try to free it up. Any suggestions?

Big run tomorrow and I can't start the rig. Can you take them apart and start w/ a screw driver?

Thanks for the help.

you can start it with a screwdriver across the terminals at the back of the drum, but keeping it going is a challenge.
you have to keep the ignition terminal bridged to the live wire and then temp bridge the start terminal to live while it cranks. Its a lot of work. Heavy duty wire clamps maybe that pierce the insulation on the wires would be the way i'd do it, but must be HD.

Sam

do you know the colors of the ignition terminal and the start terminal???

Being a Locksmith myself first WD40 or anything oil based is a no no. Depending on condition of your key you first should get a key cut to code at locksmith (not a duplicate) and try graphite but that wont mix well with the wd40. For obvious reasons i cant give to much info but after you get a key cut, remove the plastic shroud and tap light on top of the ignition with the back end of a screw driver while gently turning the key. If this works let me know and i will tell you how to remove the cylinder (easy part) to take it for repairs........Dazz

[quote author=s79bj40 link=board=1;threadid=4555;start=msg34321#msg34321 date=1061613227]
you can start it with a screwdriver across the terminals at the back of the drum, but keeping it going is a challenge.
you have to keep the ignition terminal bridged to the live wire and then temp bridge the start terminal to live while it cranks. Its a lot of work. Heavy duty wire clamps maybe that pierce the insulation on the wires would be the way i'd do it, but must be HD.

Sam
[/quote]

[glow=red,2,300]If it is a later model this won't dissengage the steering lock[/glow]

Buy a new switch either OEM or aftm. ANy auto part store will have it. Steering lock can be removed if needed.

sup bro,

you should be able to just take the tumblers out of the switch and use a screwdriver. i did this over christmas break last year when i left my keys at school.

just unscrew the metal ring around the outside of the ignition. the tumblers and the wiring for the switch will fall out the back side of the dash if you push them a little bit. then just jiggle the tumbler part out of the switch. you should then be able to put a flathead in there and turn it.

good luck man. it's not as bad as it sounds. i actually liked it.

jonathan

Thanks, the WD-40 worked! For now, I will have to look into this problem, and correct it. Thanks

I'm no maintenance genious but I would say it's time for a new ignition switch??? ::)

is the ignition switch in the column on a 74?
71 would be a simple thing to replace the switch :D

I just had my key recut when it wouldn't start the car. Then it worked fine. But i have had the pleasure of starting and driving it without the key. It took some time with the key and a multimeter and screwdriver to do it though. But i'm overcautious when it comes to electrical. I have had a fire in the glovebox b4. And 1 fire is 1 too many. (it wasn't fully my fault i swear, stupid philips fm92)

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom