Ignition Switch replacment help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am trying to replace the ignition switch on my '83 FJ60 I have already removed the steering wheel and the wiper and turn signal stalk assemblys. If anyone knows how to remove the cylinder and could post me a pic. I would be so thankful, I have already removed all the screws and bolts on the assembly. but one corner is stuck and has some sort of rivet holding it in place.

Thanks in advance
Charlie

To remove the lock cylinder itself you need the key turned to the "ACC" position. There is a small button on the perimeter of the portion that stays in the truck that you need to push in and then the lock cylinder should slide out.

Thanks, I'm having touble finding the key its been lost for almost 4 months now  :eek: :eek:. Anyone got a suggestion on removing the entire assembly? Its a farm truck that I don't even register anymore its on a thousand acres of private property I like keeping it there so i can drive my vw to go fishing.

Any advice?

oh and and I hope no one gets the wrong idea, I honestly did just lose my key and i'm not sure how I can install a new cylinder/key set with out getting the old one out!

PS: anyone got a suggestion/link for an replacment ignition cylinder/key

Thanks again
Charlie

If you have the title you might be able to get your local Toyota dealer to cut you a key. It's a long shot but give it a try. Better yet if you have the original documentation the key code will be with that.

Thanks, I had a conversation with the parts counter at my local dealer. He told me that toyota dosn't have records past '91 so he can't look it up but the salesmen should have recorded the keycode onto the original sales documents which I belive I have in a folder under the seat. Beyond that he explained to me that the rivet bolt type thing I can't get it off is a break away and he has watched the guys in the shop break it with a chisel!

Charlie

PS: today i'm taking the digital so i'll post some progree pics if I can!

Well, After I didn't waste to much time trying to get the cylinder out of the housing. I just took a hacksaw to toyotas breakaway bolt and brought the entire assembly to my locksmith who was able to make me new keys that match the original!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom