Ignition Switch Disassembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ignition switch on my '86 4Runner has started sticking in the "start" position the first time i start the engine in the morning. I patched a circuit tester into the relay wire to confirm that it is the ignition switch and not the relay sticking (plus, smacking the steering column makes it stop cranking...)

I'd rather dismantle and lubricate the switch than replace it, but I don't want to pull off the cover and have parts fly across the room, leaving me hot-wiring the truck while i wait for the part to come in.

I've found multiple threads on replacing the switch, but i can't find anything on disassembling one - anyone out there ever done so? Have pictures? Success/failure stories?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried a shot of WD-40 or any other arisol lube? Just push the straw into the key slot and give it a short spray. Run key back and forth a few times to free up the innards. HTH John

Unfortunately, it wasn't the key side of the assembly that was sticking, but the electrical switch side, which can't be reached with lube through the key slot.

So i finally got around to disassembling the switch today (after digging out all the extra wiring from the defunct alarm installed by the PO...)

The inside of the switch assembly is pretty straightforward, and it's not hard to disassemble and reassemble correctly. In fact, the toughest part was crawling around on the floor with a flashlight looking for the detent spring that went flying across the room - i realized afterward that i didn't need to take it that far apart anyway...

The switch consists of a plastic housing with copper posts for each of the wires attached, and two embossed copper plates. As the plates turn, driven by the key assembly, the embossed parts contact various combinations of posts in order to make the necessary connections. (See first pic.)

In my case, one of the embossed parts had a depression formed by one of the posts, which appears to have caused the plate assembly to stick in place, but only on the first startup on a cold morning... (Second pic, very top edge of large copper plate.) I filed it smooth with a point file, as well as filing a little off of the other end of that embossed part, where it might have been catching the edge of another post. (See pic 3.) I hit all the moving parts with a bit of dielectric grease, reassembled and reinstalled, and it's working at the moment. Hopefully it works next week when it gets a bit cold again.

If you were to disassemble the copper plate assembly (first pic, right) you would find five springs which push on the plates, and two ball/spring detents.

Not sure if this means anything to anyone but me, but it might just save someone $45 someday...

Thanks for tuning in, see you next time.
ig_sw_01.JPG
ig_sw_02.JPG
ig_sw_03.JPG

So, I was trying to figure out if we have an ignition switch problem, and I took apart my ignition switch... only one of the balls came flying out and I don't know where to put it back... do you have any idea? Here is the inside. It's a 2005 Toyota Corolla CE. Maybe someone could draw an arrow to point to where the ball needs to go? It appears the one ball stuck in there in the grease, so I think it's in the the right place.

IMG_20170417_164202.jpg

IMG_20170417_164213.jpg

IMG_20170417_164226.jpg

IMG_20170417_164308.jpg

IMG_20170417_164443.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom