Ignition problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So. After reading and rereading all the starter problem threads, I thought I would start my own.

I have the same problem as many others. The truck starts fine(91 80 series) most of the time, but occassionally it wont start. Click, click, click. Did it today, and while I sat there playing with everything I could think of, I noticed that the ignition was hot, or warm to the touch after I turned the key and heard the click a couple times. It was hot enough I'm sure it was making heat, thus making me think that this may be the culprit. Does this sound logical to you guys? The starter was replaced by the PO with a toyota part. All the connections have been checked and are good. Alt. has been tested and output is good and steady.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sky; this is not a definitive answer to ur problem; however, the 90-92 cruisers have known electrical design problems. There are 3FE groups out there with answers.

My first thought is that u have a starter problem. How many miles on ur cruiser? The starter is controlled by the ignition switch; there is no relay control of the solenoid. For what ever reason, the starter solenoid is drawing too much current thru the ingnition switch and creates the heat; not good!

Solution: New starter (or rebuild - do a search on this) will probly solve ur problem.

dfm

I had guessed as such on the electircal problems. Yup, I misspelled that, and would rather type another sentence than hit delete.

It is supposed to have a new starter on it. Which would make you hope that the starter itself isnt the problem. I have another one in the back(came with it), but it supposedly did the same thing with the other starter too. Thats why I would think its something else.

Sky; this doesn't smell like a starter problem, although it could be. I was just reading a thread on FJ40 problem that was similar and it jogged my aged memory with respect to wiring harnes problems. The FJ40 problem turned out to be a partial short to ground of the lead from the ign sw to the solenoid (starter). A dumb ass mechanic is not going to pursue the problem; he will bill u for a new starter assembly, much easier to do.

Now to the real problem:

The main harness engesses into the cabin of the 80 series thru the fire wall. A number of guys have found that vibration and such has caused ignition problems (in all years of the 80 series). This is a hard to trace problem. Look in the upper right corner of the dash( using ur x-ray vision), behind masses of wires and air conditioning, and you might find it. I hope I am not right.

If I am right, u can build a relay control around that shorted wire. Their are links in the forum to this, but can't remember where they are at the moment. I'll have to do more research on the 80's & MUD forum to find it.
Hope this helps...
dfm

Before I dive into the dash head first, am I looking for a wire with a cut sleeve thay may be grounding out, a loose ground, something disconnected????

Im more than willing to trace everything, just curious what to look for when I do.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate the extra hand on this. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom