Ignition cylinder vs. ignition switch, '97 4R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new here, usually on the Land Cruiser side of the house, but I'm working on my son's '97 4R. He finished boot camp in the Army, now he wants me to fix and sell his truck (why HE didn't before he left is a good question).

When he turns off his ignition and removes the key, it beeps like he left the key in the ignition and will drain the battery. I bought a new OEM ignition cylinder, replaced and checked it. With the panel still off and the white plastic push pin still out, the truck started fine. However, I can't turn the key to the off position and remove it (continues to beep). Once I disconnect the battery, I can move it to the off position and remove the key.

It may be secondary, but the old cylinder will allow the key to be removed at all positions. There's a lot of play with the key.

I'm not sure why the electronics won't allow me to turn it off. Is this an ignition switch problem? Thanks in advance.

It thinks it is in gear if it is a auto trans .. there is a square metal box on the side of the ignition tube that controls that . it has 2 screws that hold it on . i have the diagram of how it works . the shift lockout ecu in front of the shifter controls it

/\ That makes a lot of sense to me.

My 89 Cherokee wouldn't let me take the key out no matter what. The fix to that is slamming the shifter into Park harder than I did. Always seemed to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom