If you were going to get an 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would you look for?

I don't know this vehicle all that well, but the wife would like one that we could build for her to offroad in. So what am I looking for folks?

Thanks

Does this mean we'll get more pictures? :grinpimp:

I would look for a 97' that's clean inside and out in white with factory lockers, which is pretty much what I have.

Personally, I would look for a 94-97 LC or LX with lockers and low mileage. Or, one that has already had the head gasket replaced.

Is it strictly an off road truck, or will it be DD as well?

Pictures of the new truck maybe, but I ended my modeling career a few years ago :flipoff2:

This will be a DD as well as family offroader.

On a family offroader/DD, i would never limit myself to only an 80 with lockers. Find the best 80 you can since it will see 99% pavement. If it taint got lockers then throw an Aussie in the rear and call it golden. It's likely you'll never take it into a situation that will call for a front locker anyway if it's just a family wheeler. Trust. Aussies are awesome i the rear and it never binds up in Walmart's parking lock, click, maybe, but never binds up.
I love my 3FE, awesome engine, don't let the haterz sway you away from a 91-92 if you find a clean one... reliable is what they are.

Get one just like this...
80 1.jpg

I echo Land Speeder. I like my 91 it has nice cloth seats and I like the dash layout better on the early models. It is not a speed demon but I don't have to worry with a head gasket either. Just all around great trucks.

They quit making real Land Cruisers after MY 1992. Keep that in mind. Seriously.

:popcorn:

I'd skip the 80 and go directly to a 100 series cruiser.

they're too dang expensive right now. Why does a 98 costs thousands more than a 97 or a 96?
A local guy has his 98 for $12K, albeit very clean and good looking, nothing special about it, since they're all good looking to me.

My wife drives my 96 on deep snow days while I am in the sandbox. Bull bar, winch, 315's lift.. etc.. Only gripe is having to jump to get in since the side steps have been deleted.

For family and light wheeling, fresh shocks and 33" will be pretty capable. Really dang capable with oem lockers.

315's will get you thru some tougher off road activity but for most peoples family adventure rig they are not needed. If a bit harder ground is to be crossed then 315s and find one with oem lockers.

If it is going to be even harder then that.. There are pros and cons but here is where you might want find one with or without oem lockers and put in ARB lockers. I recommend gears with 315s

My headgasket is ok at 170k or so.. Using the newer gasket technologies that are part of the OEM replacement will prevent any worries.

I am going a bit wild with a motor for it so something a little better than early 90s tech is going between the block and head.

The two things to look for are that head gasket and the pesky heater hose. Other than that one look at some of the engines on here that were taken apart at 200k plus will show you how well engineered they are.

My post was made in jest, but I would not go for anything after MY 1995 unless it was a 100 series. The reason? OBDII compliance. It may not be an issue in Colorado, but it is here. If the CEL is on, you fail automatically state inspection. I'm not sure if all MY 1995's came OBDII equipped or not, but the July '95 build did. IIRC, it was federally mandated for all MY 1996 vehicles.

This will be a DD as well as family offroader.

DT,
You have a lovely wife and beautiful kids. Get one with air bags and keep 'em safe. That would be 95 and up. If the truck will eventually see more extreme duty then stay with the 80-Series. If not, the 100-Series is a very nice vehicle though I have actually never ridden in one. ;)

-B-

95-97, look for one that someone else has bloodied their knuckles on and sunk their savings into, then steal it!!

You get all the good stuff without all the hassle. Then it's just a point-and-shoot. You will be amazed and then you will want one.

My post was made in jest, but I would not go for anything after MY 1995 unless it was a 100 series. The reason? OBDII compliance. It may not be an issue in Colorado, but it is here. If the CEL is on, you fail automatically state inspection. I'm not sure if all MY 1995's came OBDII equipped or not, but the July '95 build did. IIRC, it was federally mandated for all MY 1996 vehicles.

If you maintain your junk, OBDII isn't an issue, and in fact can be a benefit since OBDII will give more information for diagnosis than OBDI.

Or, how I learned to love OBDII.

Personally, I would look for a 94-97 LC or LX with lockers and low mileage. Or, one that has already had the head gasket replaced.

Is it strictly an off road truck, or will it be DD as well?

Quoted for truth... Another option would be to get one that has some work done to it that has been really well taken care of.

On a family offroader/DD, i would never limit myself to only an 80 with lockers. Find the best 80 you can since it will see 99% pavement. If it taint got lockers then throw an Aussie in the rear and call it golden. It's likely you'll never take it into a situation that will call for a front locker anyway if it's just a family wheeler. Trust. Aussies are awesome i the rear and it never binds up in Walmart's parking lock, click, maybe, but never binds up.
I love my 3FE, awesome engine, don't let the haterz sway you away from a 91-92 if you find a clean one... reliable is what they are.

Get the lockers, they are going to wheel the snot out of it once they realize what the 80 can do. Lockers and baseline maintenance (especially headgasket and front axle service), with reasonable miles. If you have that, all you need is a small lift, gears, 35's, and a little bit of armor it she'll go anywhere a fullsize is fit to go and you'll need to do very little to it for a number of years while you are spending your time hands deep in diapers :hillbilly:

'95-'97 for the airbags and OBDII. No brainer.

I have both, a 3FE and a 1FZE, they're both 80's, it is comparing apples to apples in the grand scheme of things.... make sure whatever year 80 it is, it's in good shape OR be prepared to spend alot of time PM'ing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom