Identifying Fan Clutch - Mod this one or Blue Hub?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Jeff Elliott, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jeff Elliott

Jeff Elliott

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All -

Deep into oil pump seal work and therefore have the fan off. It's been running a bit hotter than I'd like with poor A/C performance at stop lights. Thus, thinking of a fan clutch improvement!

I have this one that came off the rig - could be original or not (the torx bolts make me think aftermarket). If it's an original and better than the blue hub I will mod it. If not, I have a blue hub here ready to be worked on.

Anyone have an idea which clutch this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Proven

Proven Scotchy Scotch Scotch

Albums:
    The part the connects to the engine is painted blue on the side. Take a picture of the profile.

From my memory though, that looks like the factory unit I took off mine. Could be wrong.

3. shelfboy1

shelfboy1 SILVER Star

1996 acura and isuzu trooper with the mitsabushi engine use a similar one there are probably other vehicles as well .the acura fan has more cooling but is a bit larger

4. brianh699

brianh699

Jeff Elliott likes this.
  5. Sc0-

Sc0-

Media:
    Albums:
    Used 20k cst from BeachRC, about 50ml. AC works much better now but did notice some seepage on the shaft seal. Fan definitely roars more when in low speed traffic.

(When I first installed a blue hub clutch I think i used 10k cst.)

6. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Yep, Eaton, good clutch. They have an anti drain back feature, so the valve needs to be opened to fully drain. Open the valve, stick something in it to hold it open and drain with the reservoir side face up. Depending on use and conditions, ~50ml of 15-20K fluid works well in them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff Elliott and Andrew Bluemel like this.
  7. jpoole

jpoole

Media:
    Albums:
    I drained and filled the Eaton from my '97 but didn't find it satisfactory after. Started with 40 ML 15000 wt and then added 20 ML more for a total of 60 ML of 15000 wt. Would get hot enough to turn off AC with both 40 and 60 ML but ran cooler when at 60 ML and was hard to get to 220ish for AC cut off. Rotating shaft on front of the Eaton turned when I put a heat gun on it so wasn't frozen at least and the clutch looked clean and didn't leak.

I'm not sure if heavier or more fluid would have made performance acceptable but I installed a stock Aisin blue hub that was around $60 new from Rock Auto and temps are great now and I haven't been able to get near 220 in the same conditions.

Some have had luck with the Eatons but I thought I'd share my experience in case it's helpful info as you decide what fluid to use or what to do with the clutch.

Jeff Elliott likes this.
  8. on3i11s

on3i11s

~50 ml of 20k cst fluid in my Eaton and it works much better..I did let it drain for at least 24 hours with multiple times in the oven. Be careful with the o-ring

Jeff Elliott likes this.
  9. woodsman 44

woodsman 44

On my 96' I went with 10K cst fluid in my Eaton...filled to 45-50ML...roars on every start up...weather here was 100deg today and I ran the AC....so far so good!

007.JPG

10. inkpot

inkpot SILVER Star

I am built up, loaded down, overboosted, wheeled often, and I drive aggressively. I am running an Eaton with a little over 30,000 cst. Eh, its a math thing. I also have a fullsize OEM fan, so it whines a little, but it does a fairly good job of cooling it down and giving me good A/C. On the freeway this afternoon, it was 111, an my A/C was kicking out 50 degree air. Engine temps were between 195 and 199, running at 75+. I am pretty happy with both of those numbers, but I am crazy, so I will keep tweeking crap in the eternal/infernal search for even coler temps.

Jeff Elliott likes this.
  11. Jeff Elliott

Jeff Elliott

Media:
    Albums:
    You guys are fantastic, thanks so much!

12. Sc0-

Sc0-

Media:
    Albums:
    FYI, WitsEnd/Landtank has the large seal and replacement screws available for these fan clutches.

NLXTACY likes this.
  13. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

For the Eaton?

14. Sc0-

Sc0-

Media:
    Albums:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.