ICON VEHICLE DYNAMICS Piggy-Back Prototype Shocks for the 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup, this is what I've been lead to believe. I've been looking for a taller progressive spring without success.

Has anyone made a progressive spring for 80's?

So what is the reason more companies don't offer progressive springs? Are they more expensive to produce? Too labor intensive?

They are linear. Nobody makes a progressive for the 80 anymore, except in a 1-2" version :frown:

Must mean the ones under my rig don't exist.:p
I've got the Autocraft.com.au 3" slinky lift. Its designed to be 3" with full armour and expo loaded (ie 2 week desert trip all food water and fuel), so with a ali bullbar and no winch, and no rear bar/tyre carrier it sits about 4" front and 5" rear unloaded. Springs are progressive wound to stay captive when running a 12-14" stroke shock.
Autocraft offer the springs in different rates depending on what you are carrying and different ride heights.
No affliation, etc

Has anyone made a progressive spring for 80's?

Only in 2.5" or less flavor.

Those are not progressive. If you look up the code King states that they are linear. I contacted that company and the guy I spoke to didn't know crap about anything I asked.

So what is the reason more companies don't offer progressive springs? Are they more expensive to produce? Too labor intensive?

They're more expensive and a whole heck of a lot more fickle. I know people have had some issues with Frankie's (FOR) springs breaking, may have happened with a linear spring but I tend to doubt it.

Must mean the ones under my rig don't exist.:p
I've got the Autocraft.com.au 3" slinky lift. Its designed to be 3" with full armour and expo loaded (ie 2 week desert trip all food water and fuel), so with a ali bullbar and no winch, and no rear bar/tyre carrier it sits about 4" front and 5" rear unloaded. Springs are progressive wound to stay captive when running a 12-14" stroke shock.
Autocraft offer the springs in different rates depending on what you are carrying and different ride heights.
No affliation, etc

I can't find anything official on those springs, so I can't say how they're designed.

What I know is common is a "progressive" spring which has dead coils wound at the top. In normal circumstances, those dead coils do nothing more than act as a bit of a spacer, they provide no spring rate what so ever. When you drop the axle, they become live, and prevent the spring from popping out.

What you're describing sounds like this. A bunch of manufacturers offer this (including OME), but this isn't really what we mean when we say progressive.

What we're looking for is a spring where all the coils stay live, but is wound with one or more rates. The idea being that in normal circumstances you are in the light spring rate range, and only when loaded down with gear does the heavy spring rate kick in. Best of both worlds, light when driving around town and heavy when loaded for bear.

Additionally, 3" isn't really significantly longer than the ~2.5" that's already being offered out there. Folks are more looking for a 4" or 6" progressive spring.

I can't find anything official on those springs, so I can't say how they're designed.

What I know is common is a "progressive" spring which has dead coils wound at the top. In normal circumstances, those dead coils do nothing more than act as a bit of a spacer, they provide no spring rate what so ever. When you drop the axle, they become live, and prevent the spring from popping out.

What you're describing sounds like this. A bunch of manufacturers offer this (including OME), but this isn't really what we mean when we say progressive.

What we're looking for is a spring where all the coils stay live, but is wound with one or more rates. The idea being that in normal circumstances you are in the light spring rate range, and only when loaded down with gear does the heavy spring rate kick in. Best of both worlds, light when driving around town and heavy when loaded for bear.

Additionally, 3" isn't really significantly longer than the ~2.5" that's already being offered out there. Folks are more looking for a 4" or 6" progressive spring.
Alright I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't have progressive springs that have dead coils to stay captive or a rising rate spring to run flexible when unladen but still cope with corrugations with a 3300kg GVM.
My truck is sprung with fairy floss.

Back to the program - the 80 needs good shocks more than any other suspension component, but the price point is $150 - $200 per shock, not $400+.

I would normally agree with your point of view, but in this case, I see that a lot of people spend more than that on a rear bumper....

I like premium shocks on any type of automobile. Having had Konis on my sports cars for years makes me hate cheap shox more than most people.

Yes, $1.5k on shocks is a bit steep. Are these better than a set of Fox reservoir units?

Icon has officially released their shock stage kits designed for the 0-3" and 4-6" lift variations. You can check them out on our website for pricing, we are actively stocking some of these shocks with free shipping!

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/c-647-suspension.aspx#Ma5|

1031.jpg

1032.jpg

@LT, Are you going to offer a non-reservoir stage 1 shock for 4-6" lifts? I didn't see it on the website and was wondering if it was coming?

@LT, Are you going to offer a non-reservoir stage 1 shock for 4-6" lifts? I didn't see it on the website and was wondering if it was coming?

Currently Icon is only listing the 2.5" remote reservoirs for the 4-6" lift I will need to inquire with them if they plan on doing a 2.0 in the future.

For those not close to LT you can get them at any 4 Wheel Parts store, it's where I ordered mine from and they worked a good price.

Currently Icon is only listing the 2.5" remote reservoirs for the 4-6" lift I will need to inquire with them if they plan on doing a 2.0 in the future.

That's an option I'd be interested in. There's not enough options for a decent budget shock in the 4-6" lift range. Everything is either 2-4" or is a 2.5" adjustable remote res shock which is expensive. I'd love to go that route but realistically it's not within my budget.

Now I just need somebody to do a test on how these stage 1 shocks improve over an OME stock height Nitro Sport shock....:cheers:

Now I just need somebody to do a test on how these stage 1 shocks improve over an OME stock height Nitro Sport shock....:cheers:

I would go check over in the 100 series section to see the responses people had when they switched out from OME to Icon.

I'm ready to order the 4-6" 2.0 non-res version as soon as they are ready...Originally thought I'd go Fox, but hear great things about the Icon products and figure since Dylan has an 80 they should be set up real nice out of the box. SO, when can I order a set? I'd love to review them for everyone as I currently run OME Nitros and J's all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom