Icelandic Hilux (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally I have acquired a suitable gearbox for the rear of the 1KZ-TE

It's from a V6 4runner, it's been out, and open for a while, so water got in, but Im keen to open it up and check it's condition, it spins easy and there are no noises heard even when spinning with a drill and shifting the gears...

343554757_905621240539594_690331822382177798_n.jpg

344991732_1190882421597271_3118107609685979541_n.jpg

However, I may use this as a spare gearbox only, because I also found a better one, out of a 1KD-FTV toyota (2005) which has lower gear ratios in 1st and 2nd gear much like the 4cyl. gasoline turbo R151 gearboxes did

This gearbox is really common here in Iceland and europe in general, coming from the facelift Toyota Hilux KDN165 body with the 2,5 turbo diesel engine

346946076_1258399918111504_3564274900816385330_n.jpg

kdn165_1.jpg

This is really cool. Nice work sir.

what do you use for diesel heating / oil heating on your hilux?

Hello Milo - thanks for your comments.

My LN165 Hilux is fitted with an on board fuel filter housing heating element from the factory.
However, this is not very necessary in the Icelandic climate, as it doesn't really get that cold here at all during winter.
The lowest we see (rarely) is around -20°C e. (-4°F) and this is extremely rare in the inhabited areas of the country.

Google photo of an identical piece of kit:

1689111032094.png

Good afternoon, how are ya!

Ive been traveling with the land cruiser(red one) for a few weeks, but back now and on holiday for the next 3 weeks

Icelandic KZJ95 (LandCruiser/Prado) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/icelandic-kzj95-landcruiser-prado.1310210

Been pretty busy with stuff, not much hilux stuff though, literally haven't started the thing for over 2 months since I got the gearbox I think!!

Anyway, started the teardown of the 1KZT-E engine... was aiming for just replacing gaskets and oils and letting it go on... but decided otherwise once opened up...

Turning in to a full on restoration now... can you believe it? doh...
:)

GNZY4twn_o.jpg

Gearbox seperated from off engine, engine put into stand

7Rn33Bbv_o.jpg

Engine flipped, sump removed (can confirm that 1KD-FTV engine sump will fit and interchange for my LN165 application IFS.

Bearings look mint (considering 450.000 kms). Must've had a good service life. I'll replace them with new standard ones.

YFYBWHEN_o.jpg

Pistons are out, one has damage in it, so all are getting replaced and genuine piston rings too. Also ordered a cylinder hone as my old one is in dire state.

y3yU2Xju_o.jpg

Thrust bearings are mint, on the tighter end of manufacturer spec, proving again that this engine has had a decent/good service life, it was a manual transmission engine.

More later... parts on the way for all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s

continuing the rebuild, I found this in one of the pistons, I guess EGTs are just a myth... this engine was(and will continue to be) chipped. So I guess an EGT gauge is high on the wishlist after spending a fortune on genuine pistons on top of all of the other things I'm putting in new

lCeQ7bCk_o.jpg

Toyota offers 3 different piston widths up to a hundreth of a millimeter...

Vyl2MLbP_o.jpg

5Lh2zA2g_o.jpg

The bottom line is (coming from me, the mechanic) this engine is a strong lump, it has a lot of iron in it, and big bearings, great oil cooling, piston cooling from jets underneath, so no wonder they go for so long without trouble!

You can see where there is a designated hole for the dipstick on both sides of the engine block (behind the engine mountings) and I will have to move the dipstick to the opposite side after swapping the sumps, and probably redesign the length of the dipstick(or use my 2L-t one) as I belive the sump on the LandCruiser is much deeper, I guess I'll see about that later, I'll just pour in the manufacturer specified amount of oil for a KZN165 and make a new mark if necessary

Adíos!

I'll just pour in the manufacturer specified amount of oil for a KZN165 and make a new mark if necessary
And that's how it's done! Nice work man!

So the engine rebuild continues, finally all parts necessary arrived, so reassembly could continue.

This is a set of photos taken anytime between aug. 1st and aug. 13th which was start-up day.

wUevuykh_o.jpg

Just some cleaning..

SNC1kHxv_o.jpg

Volvo red beats Ford blue in my opinion..

HGJ6vPhi_o.jpg

This plug sits behind the engine mount on the drivers' side(for Iceland) But I remove it to accompany a new location for the dipstick, this plug then gets moved over to the opposite, passenger side, for those of us driving on the correct side of the road... ehhhrmmm

WwweDD3w_o.jpg

New strainer to suit the new pan, works great, was ment for a 1995 surf / 4 runner if I remember correctly, did need an extended bolt stud for one of the holes though, this one has a much thicker flange than the stock landcruiser strainer

q7penDDX_o.jpg

More parts arrived $$$$$$$$

SaxrLGGC_o.jpg

Removing the engine I broke the fan blade so what better time to upgrade to aisin 10 blade

HwXN9RdP_o.jpg

1st hone pass cleans up nice

RrYmZVO3_o.jpg

free-handed honing on a cordless drill, I did my best to cross hatch at 45° and seems to work fine

ZGLH3usY_o.jpg

New pistons, rings

EJSbHj8l_o.jpg

Ready for assembly

zwWSPrXC_o.jpg

Detail for retail..?? had left over, and was waiting on bearings to continue reasembly, sooooo....

UAFfq6M9_o.jpg

Upon further inspection the culprit for the damaged piston was found...

vRnM8ceg_o.jpg

Bearings came in, woohoo!

KRaNUfgo_o.jpg

Bearings in, pistons in, timming gear ready

xob5T59e_o.jpg

Fuel pump timed, oil cooler on, all is well

5CzmCIcB_o.jpg

Head is on, you can see there was no time here for paint etc... just get it done kind of attitude now
:D

Engine starting first time, sounds good

That's alll folks!

progress... this is october- november... car is driving already and working well, smaller details remain...

5ogDN1ek_o.jpg

I aquired new-ish 38s instead of my 2013 ones... these are 2020

K1TFlZwi_o.jpg

2lt on its way out for one last time

Lthq8szz_o.jpg

no engine

C9OUF8RL_o.jpg

Tetris puzzling means every(one) gets to enjoy the warmth of being inside for winter time :)

PCuxpNUo_o.jpg

1sFL6JTU_o.jpg

Some rust repair.. of course, why wouldnt there be...

rmLptDzp_o.jpg

dip5T0OR_o.jpg

NgoFESd6_o.jpg

cuwOYcjv_o.jpg

4 row ebay rad.

xSNG4jOk_o.jpg

attempt at making the ride more enjoyable

cmcD1u8J_o.jpg

mB9xU7fC_o.jpg

carpet it s***e, want a new one, rockauto.com offers carpet for 4runner u.s.a. and I think it fits the hilux well.. I'll try it soon...

a6FyRO1I_o.jpg

All coming together, land cruiser meter gauges fit surprisingly well inside hilux ln165 dash.

So for rust prevention what is common for your area?

Here we have anything from fluid film to cosmoline films...or any number of oils that people spray on.

Your stuff never looks very rusty so I wonder if you all don't use salt as much as we do in our colder regions

So for rust prevention what is common for your area?

Here we have anything from fluid film to cosmoline films...or any number of oils that people spray on.

Your stuff never looks very rusty so I wonder if you all don't use salt as much as we do in our colder regions
Good morning, I use fluid film (annually) from a spray gun. Completely soak the undercarriage and the inside of any floor profiles etc. - wheel wells.

I like fluid film because with solvents I can wash it off, and I like that, for welding, etc..

While other, thicker, tar like substances are more resilient, they make working on the car later a nightmare.

Just my 2 cent.. Fluid film is cheap as,, too, and so am I :)

We use a lot of salt on roads here, as well as being an oceanfront island pretty much, all pretty much all villages are close to the sea, so we are exposed to airbourne salt and salty rain, none of which is helpful. - On top of that we have geothermal heating and regular volcano eruptions which spew out a bunch of acidic fumes and airbourne dust. So yes, we have a lot of rust here - probably similar to that of the 'rust belt' of the U.S.

m65iWvQ3_o.jpg

New fenders from Taiwan fit a charm

KkyIy1Tw_o.jpg

Mark the cut

aYEI5Gjp_o.jpg

Cut done, 38s will now fit

Jq3nsGgk_o.jpg

"paint booth"

lUdATUfT_o.jpg

The fenders are painted inside and outside equally to prevent rusting

fWHj5fwH_o.jpg

Filler primer, I also had to pull out a dent and fill a hole(from the Toyota emblem) on the hood. You can see these on the first picture in this post...

d7fiD3XG_o.jpg

More primer, you can see me use a different primer on the fender flares as they are fiber plastic, so this primer is more elastic and has an adhesion agent... I dont know... just the salesman told me to do this... :)

gS52bNEK_o.jpg

Good filtering equipment is key to success

x8BG1mN9_o.jpg

Filler primer over everything, 3 layers, wet on wet

wK4rNENK_o.jpg

Nice to have good heating in the garage, big radiators, the temperature ~35-40°C (95-105°F)

GISMvNq6_o.jpg

sLCyQ0Go_o.jpg

Basecoat three layers

FsF3Vm8a_o.jpg

Clear coat three layers

22dMTK2t_o.jpg

I will admit, I am surprised this even worked judging by the equipment and the layout I'm using to blend the cups... lol

hPpmA68b_o.jpg

IOdmQqFy_o.jpg

olfTFvMx_o.jpg

24 hours later after baking...

umWqD8Zg_o.jpg

rGcAcMhL_o.jpg

Reassembly, I will cut and buff the hood to give more shine, it is borderline orange peely here, after that, it will look like a Ferrari :)

That looks sharp! Wish i was the painter you are! and you did it without really being able to see out of your face mask!

T78VdZ3O_o.jpg

Fender flares are mounted with adhesive only, it's almost surgical, but it looks so satisfying and beautiful once done

K628AkYl_o.jpg

First test drive at home, still no licence plates on... sssshhhh

mlvb2FLK_o.jpg

Inner fenders made from hard plastic plate, the void between engine bay and wheel well will be closed with softer rubber plate similar to original

Oo3Rwx97_o.jpg

Vr1qfbCY_o.jpg

Air compressor found its new home

tSiaV0Aw_o.jpg

YID9D9iH_o.jpg

AKE0wwGK_o.jpg

Back on the winter tires, new rims got CTIS equipment, really liking the look of all this now

65LRB04F_o.jpg

It's all microfibre cloths etc. from now on... is it a toyota pick up or a Ferrari? who can tell...

wHJwj9B9_o.jpg

Speedo is now correct, and engine revs. ~2100 at 90kph. - fuel milage measurements will be interesting to see later..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom