I REALLY need chromo birfs now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisermatts.com
Been working on swapping a 5.3 into my FJ62 for the past few months. I also did a spring-over and custom shackle reversal at the same time. Time to go break more axle parts!!

28CD21B4-77EA-480D-A84F-02034F52D4F3.jpeg

217E4EA6-F3CE-439A-B6ED-4524048A74D5.jpeg
5D83C751-F226-4B05-AA87-75B3C71BAA13.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh Hell!, Now there's going to be street carnage too. Clutches, Rear R&P, axles, worn out tires, etc

Congratulations on a very major accomplishment!!

Thanks.
Fixed a few of the first immediate major issues over the past few days. Fixed the stalling under braking issue with a VSS, fixed the limited clutch travel that was caused by the fork hitting the floor pan, and fixed it bouncing all over the road by putting some rear shocks on.
Next issues are that the fans aren’t coming on (pretty sure ECU just isn’t programmed right), need a water temp gauge, and it needs a tune.

Went out an broke some rear hub studs on a beer run last night :lol:

F12CB272-A99D-4B33-9CA9-E19539D0C055.jpeg

The first street carnage

The first street carnage

First and hopefully last.. I think the V8 is going to finally force me to go select-able rear locker. There's just no way rear end parts are going to hold up with so much more power going around a corner all bound up.

Just don't nail it in the corners. A selectable locker will be easier on axles and make for better handling, but does anyone really make a really good strong selectable locker for our rear ends? Factory E lockers are out. ARB is better, but still isn't exactly the epitome of strength.

Just don't nail it in the corners. A selectable locker will be easier on axles and make for better handling, but does anyone really make a really good strong selectable locker for our rear ends? Factory E lockers are out. ARB is better, but still isn't exactly the epitome of strength.

What don’t you like about the 80 rear E-locker besides the possibly of the shafts getting stuck if they get twisted or broken? Those are what I was thinking would be the way to go since they are usually about half the price of an ARB plus already setup in a diff with 4.11’s (which is what I run). And I have the full float rear end.

I’m back on starving college student budget these days and used E-locker diffs come up for usually about $400-500... I never liked the E-lockers until I tried Dominick’s that have fresh actuators.

No personal experience, but yes the issue with the shafts getting stuck.

I have been mostly daily driving this thing, there have been a few instances where I’ve had to park it for several days at a time as issues have popped up but I think I have pretty much all the bugs worked out.

Here’s a few issues and things ive had to change in the past months, off the top of my head:

-ARP rear axle drive bolts
-Added relay for starter solenoid key signal
-had an intermittent loss in voltage to fuel pump in the Toyota wiring, made a completely new circuit with 14awg. I also had a bad crimp on my engine harness.
-added an extra 36” of exhaust tube so it exits past the rear of the truck (i was getting bad fumes)
-after that I melted the tailight harness which caused some mean electrical gremlins
-replaced tailight harness and installed heat shield (thanks Steve!)
-replaced front springs with used FJ62 rear springs (Thanks Steve!)

Next up is rear airbags, front sway bar and installing my new RCV front axles. I am also considering doing the Tundra brake mod although my brakes are working very well with the hydroboost.

EDC92377-CC9F-47A2-8063-D27A8815F571.jpeg

68FF74D6-3B3A-4C1A-B59F-1CF75DF2B7EB.jpeg

10 month update, besides a major transfer case rebuild in June (a spacer was left out when assembled in 2016 which led to some good carnage), been daily driving pretty well for the most part. I will have a new commute of about 400-450 miles a week starting tomorrow that will force me to finally make several small tweaks.

-My rear shocks are already blown out (they were cheap, I will be buying good ones to replace)
-Loud exhaust is getting annoying
I want to redo the entire exhaust with a nice big muffler, passenger side exit, and different exhaust manifolds.
Some nice luxuries would be getting the AC charged and windows tinted and a rear ARB locker.
Everything is installed for AC so the hard part is done just need to take the time to get freon put it.

Other then that loving driving this thing every day. I should probably change the thread title since I have RCV 30 spline axles installed up front now :bounce2:

466DE2FB-F287-476D-B8BE-6F40E38A0A81.jpeg

I should probably post up my completely custom front brake setup since I spent so much time on it at the beginning of this year.

Great inspiration for the rest of us! I wish i had some cool Cruiser related mods to report. Just boring maintenance repairs lately. Clutch in Battle wagon, Rear pinion bearing, leaf spring bushing, rust repairs, new brakes etc on green 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom