I quit--need a reputable LC repair shop in Tucson area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the advise--I plan to follow up. Just taking a break from the first round of car fun.

Boo

Boo,

Just so we are all on the same page here regarding the "lines" on your oil pressure guage, could you clearly articulate what you are talking about. For example, my 97 has a curved verticle line with 4 horizontal "hash marks".

Please describe what you're talking about when you say the first line, 2nd line, bottom, etc. It is not clear to me what you are trying to convey.

Can you post a pic? That would help.

-B-

Beowulf,

I have the same oil press setup indicator you mentioned--my I get the usual delay before the engine gets oil, it rises to the 2nd mark, then it slowly returns to the bottom mark--it used to not do this--it would rise to the 3rd mark when I first started it, back in the old days...

Boo

Boo,
Are you referring to the bottom mark as the 1st mark, then the 2nd mark, then the 3rd mark, then the 4th (top) mark? I know all 80's have the same oil pressure gauge and I know what they look like. It's just not clear if you are referring to the bottom mark as the 1st mark. (i.e Relative to 1 or Relative to zero?)

-B-

It is necessary to have a good Landcruiser-Shop that you can trust. Look for one because there will be a time when only such a place can help you. :cheers:

Mike

Beowulf--the 1st mark of the 4--I think I'm going to try a new sending unit because the engine seems to be getting oil.

Boo

Boo,

A HUGE caution light is on here. I think you should first get that truck to a mechanic who can put a mechanical guage on it. I've seen this exact behavior on a vehicle with oil sludge in the oil pump that was so thick it had to be mechanically removed. Unfortunately, this was done in conjunction with a total rebuild cause by oil starvation. Don't be driving this vehicle around and simply listening for noises as it might suddenly cost you $5000 instead of a $50 diagnostic (mechanical oil guage screws into the existing sensor hole and takes about 15 minutes to perform).

The caution light is on because you mention a delay before getting any pressure. That's not normal on any 80 I've been in. Typical sludge behavior, however....

DougM

Why would it all of the sudden show up? I've been driving this thing w/ no problems at all for 2.5 years?

Boo

Also, I recently (1 yr ago) had the oil pan off and there was no sign of sludge build up.

Boo

Well, if you've had the pan off and not seen any sludge. And are confident this is not an issue. One of my best buddies here is getting his Camry back Monday from a total rebuild. He bought it used 3 years ago and takes good care of it. The exact symptoms you describe appeared on a trip to Montana a couple weeks ago and I suggested he immediately stop and change the oil (he called me in mid trip). He did and the symptoms decreased but did not go away. One day last week, it simply seized at a stoplight. Another buddy of mine owns the shop he's having the work done at and he said they opened it up and the block was starved for oil badly. They found the pump gummed up with sludge. We're guessing it was the previous owner, and are all surprised the stuff did not clear. They had to physically scrape the stuff out.

Just a single data point, but yours sounded eerily familiar. Your call, but a proper guage will tell you all you need to know with oil pressure.

DougM

if the pan's been off there very well may be some rtv or similar sealant floating around in there......possibly gumming up the oil pump pickup ? or blocking some passage way?

doug

I've also seen something similar where the drain passages from the top end get restricted and the oil ends up in the heads and doesn't get back to the pan fast enough and the pump runs dry. Those foil pieces on the old oil bottles could be hazardous!

I bet you have a problem with your gauge. Have the oil pressure checked and get the gauge fixed. But maybe your truck needs a quad bypass or your muffler bearings are out of alignment ??? I just want to know what the prize is for the one that guessed the correct answer?

I'll let you know as soon as I get it figured out!! Doug--I wasn't blowing you off--just looking for further detail--and you gave it to me. Thanks. I'm going to start w/ the sender then go to the pan.

Boo

I wouldn't just throw a sender at it. Get the pressure verified first. Once that is verified you'll know where to go, mechanical or electrical.If electrical a simple Ohm test accross the sender will tell you if it bad. The circuit consists of four parts. The sender, the guage, the voltage supplied and the wiring in between. The sender is nothing more than a variable resistor. As the pressure changes the resistance changes which causes a voltage drop in the circuit affecting the guage's possition. This circuit is quite easy to troubleshoot so you'll only need to buy the 1 item that is bad.

Well, again, I should have listened to those on the board, but oh well. It isn't the sender or the oil pickup in the oil pan. Next is checking the clearances / sludge in the oil pump, as recommended.

Boo

Boo,
What is killing you is that your missing the whole idea of "troubleshooting". As with other circuits in the truck there is two sides of the circuit. A "duty" side and a "monitoring" side. In your case the duty side is the mechanics that create oil pressure and the monitoring side is the electronics that report to you through the dash guage what the pressure is. The first goal is to determine which side of the circuit your problem is on. The basic divide and conquer strategy works here. So by doing the oil pressure test with a mechanical guage you can determine if it is the duty side because of poor oil pressure or the monitoring side because you have good pressure.

Following a best guess or most popular opinion can waste alot of time and money. Granted some problems can be quickly associated with known issues (such as starter contacts)with great success but I don't think your oil pressure problem is one of them.

Best of luck

I can tell this , however, it does take longer for oil to get to the pump on startup (listening to the sound of the engine)--that's what I've based the oil pan removal and possible future spec check of the oil pump.

Boo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom