I now have all lights,but no signals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have Napa single round tail-lights on the rear of my tub. The lights were connecting using the plug-in from the original harness.So here goes: There are 4 wires from harness plug to each tail-light. 1)red 2)green 3)green w/ white stripe 4)green with yellow stripe. The tail-lights worked by splicing red wire and green/white wire to tailights red wire. Then the green wire was spliced to the tail-lights black wire.
I still didn't have signals so it stood to reason that if I double-spliced the green/yellow with the solid green and connected then to the tail-lights black wire,I'd have turn signals. Didn't work.What happened was the dash turn signal indicator stayed on for that side.That's all.
So as it stands the green/yellow stands alone.
I hope this gives someone enough info to tell me what I've got wrong.Also,do the front signals work independant of the rear or must they all be hooked up for the others to work. I replaced the front signals with a Napa bus light.Man,it looks good.But I still don't have any turn signals or brake lights. I'm getting there! Hey,I have ALL my lights now anyway! That's progress!
Oh yeah,BTW this is on a '78 FJ40 we're working on.

I am not aware of a way to make a two-wire, single-bulb lamp work in the place of a two-bulb system, without using a trailer-wiring converter. Toyota decided in 73 to use a separate turn signal bulb, that unlike the earlier trucks does not share a bulb with the brake lights.

I have wired this trailer-wiring converter into the Toyota harness, and used the two wire, single bulb lamps. You could make it work using a total of four lamp assemblies. I have seen this work.

Perhaps someone else knows a way to make this system work, but I have not been able to, without the converter. This converter that I am talking about, can be picked up at Napa, or most other decent auto parts suppliers, is around twenty bucks. You will need to identify which wires are which on the Toyota harness, connect them to this converter, and connect the output wires from the converter to the two wire lamp assemblies that you are trying to install. The best place to install this would be where the harness from the front of the truck meets the rear lamp harness. This should be on the passenger side of the frame, just inside of the rear spring hanger, by the shackle, provided no one has cut the harness up previously. HA HA HA!!!

Confused yet? I hope not.

PM me if you need further clarification.

-Steve

I run the same convertor, actually it's on the firewall, then I run the 4 trailer-type wires back to the two rear lights. I "cheated" and used the white ground wire in the loom for the reverse lights.

a Converter? But the pics show a pig-tail plug like a trailer wire plug.How would that work for an FJ40 tailight assembly?

my guess would be low turn signal fluid.. its just a guess but what do i know...jk ;)

[quote author=lowtideride link=board=1;threadid=6136;start=msg49648#msg49648 date=1065815444]
my guess would be low turn signal fluid.. its just a guess but what do i know...jk ;)
[/quote]

Must have been your issue?? ::)

[quote author=Iron_Pig link=board=1;threadid=6136;start=msg49608#msg49608 date=1065809325]
a Converter? But the pics show a pig-tail plug like a trailer wire plug.How would that work for an FJ40 tailight assembly?
[/quote]

Get the picture of the pigtail out of your mind, you will cut that off, and not use it. You need to read that wiring explination as to how it works, and then you will get it.

The brown wire goes to the black wire in your two wire napa lamp, mounted on the right and left side of your truck. This will be your running/marker lamp.

(You have a dual element bulb in the napa lamp. One wire makes one filiment light up, and the other wire makes the other one light up. They are two different brighnesses,sp?, the brighter one, is the brake light/turn signal, the dimmer one is the running/marker light. You will need to verify which one is which, but I am reasonably sure that the black wire will be the running light, and the red will be the brake/signal light.)

The green wire, from the converter, goes to the red wire on the two wire napa lamp, mounted on the right side of your truck.

The yellow wire, from the converter, goes to the red wire on the two wire napa lamp, mounted on the left side of your truck.

You do not need to use the white wire.

This is going to only work this way, if you hook the factory harness wires up properly to the converter.

As I explained earlier, you are trying to run a multi-bulb system, on one bulb, and to do that, you need this converter.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom