I need your opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
we're in the process of replacing justin's head gasket in his 96 80 series. it's really dirty and I'm not sure how to clean these small journals. I'm looking for suggestions how you would clean these tiny holes. in the picture these holes I'm asking about are in a dimple in the block.
IMG_20130414_200518_230_zps3ae5b601.jpg

I can't blow up your picture on my iPhone, but I was thinking use your gun cleaning kit or a Dremel rotary tool with a wire will attachment.

Pat

it's just such a small hole even the brush for a 17 Cal won't fit in there. I'll probably just jam a wire in there if no one has any better ideas

make sure you put the head gasket on the correct way . not sure on his but when i rebuilt my sons 2f i insatlled the head gasket backwards which blocked the oil flow up to the rockers . had to take it all back down for a stupid mistake .

If .17 is too bigg then wire and compressed air mmay be your only bet. Just make sure you know where it goes before you blow it back dowm from whence it came...

that's my concern bret. I haven't gotten a response in the 80 section about what it is and I have no clue

Justin you check the head and see if there is a small hole next to where the valves are. my best guess is its coolant journal to the head next to the combustion chamber. it's that same red crud as everywhere else it's just got black in it from cleaning the deck.

I just put this in the 80 section as well, but I'll double post here for our local experts.

I found a 2F manual, but it really didn't identify what channels were what in the block. All I found that was of slight relevance was the cooling diagram...

Screenshot from 2013-04-15 20:39:49.jpg

Oh hey! Danny, you have the answer already!

I looked at an older pic you sent me from when you guys first pulled the head. The ones on the insides (closest to the center of the block in between the cylinders) have orange goop in them. All the others are black - so I'd say the outer ones are oil channels. And that would make the most sense now that I stop and think about it.

that's my guess also I'd just like to be sure. I'm gonna inspect the head tomorrow before it goes to the machine shop. I feel better about ramming wire into a coolant passage than I do an oil journal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom