Shopping for an HDJ81...in Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I'm assuming your not a salvage yard.

He's an individual that is stripping trucks.

I've bought a pallet full of parts from him and quality is good and shipping packaging is excellent!

How do you get Fastenal the item to be shipped from the salvage yard?

He's an individual that is stripping trucks.

I've bought a pallet full of parts from him and quality is good and shipping packaging is excellent!

I understand and would trust him before using a salvage yard. Absolutely.

How do you get Fastenal the item to be shipped from the salvage yard?

Ask them if they can carry it to Fastenal to have them freight it out for you.

The salvage yard will still have to have it packaged. Fastenal just won;t show up at THEIR doorstep to pick it up.

What about telling them you'll throw them an extra $25 -$50 to have someone deliver to Fastenal for you?

Also, why not buy a clean rear gate from @slow95z and have it painted to match, then install? That way it will be ready when you need it. Also will be easy to do since it's off the truck.

Ask them if they can carry it to Fastenal to have them freight it out for you.

The salvage yard will still have to have it packaged. Fastenal just won;t show up at THEIR doorstep to pick it up.

What about telling them you'll throw them an extra $25 -$50 to have someone deliver to Fastenal for you?

Also, why not buy a clean rear gate from @slow95z and have it painted to match, then install? That way it will be ready when you need it. Also will be easy to do since it's off the truck.

I asked slow95z a couple months ago if he had white and the answer was no, So I started checking the yards on car parts website but never contacted any of them to ask if they have ever used Fastenal to ship.

I asked slow95z a couple months ago if he had white and the answer was no, So I started checking the yards on car parts website but never contacted any of them to ask if they have ever used Fastenal to ship.

That's why I suggested buying from him and painting......

Probably save you on parts and freight than you can buy from other salvage, even with painting.

I see your point. Luckily I'm not in a hurry and don't need one right away. So If a white one pops up Slow95z please keep me in your thoughts. I don't really want to repaint and I don't want to drop $1k on the rear hatch of my dreams either.
I think if I was going to do that I would pull my current hatch off and rehab it. My delima.

there is a white (parts) rig in my area for sale but its rusty as hell. lived up north too long :(
the only white hatch i have ever had sold within 2 days. if you want green... well have i got a green one or 3 lol.

Thank you.
I guess it could be shipped to a paint shop close to me. I'll keep it in mind.

I could be wrong, but if you negotiate with a salvage yard and are willing to bundle a bunch of other stuff in with the hatch, you could get just about any salvage yard to ship via Fastenal as long as they are willing to use whatever they would normally load a pallet full of parts for shipping into a pick-up truck instead of a semi or UPS dump off for a small fee. Hell, if you had to, pay a Mud Member to rent a truck from Lowe's or Menards and have them haul it over there for a lunch ticket.

@slow95z has top shelf parts, but it's not his day job and he is just doing this to keep more cruisers on the road and to partially fund his own trucks. I looked for over a year before a near perfect fender came up in the right color and I just packaged a bunch of other stuff in to build out the pallet and before I knew it, several very nice items showed up 3 miles from my house. They forklifted the whole jalopy into my Tacoma and I drove away trouble free.

If you are antsy to make a buy, just put on your Glengarry Glen Ross shoes and close a sale with one of the yards that sell on car-part.com

Those guys love to wheel and deal. I got a hood that was listed for $250 for my Tacoma along with a straight rod spare tire tool, a new seat belt assembly and a bunch of other little odds and ends because "I came all this way" for $170, out the door. I drove it away, but they would have been happy to drop it off at a shipper if I would have asked them and they would have taken parts off that I requested too and sent me pics of them. The junkyard business is the final frontier in a lot of ways.

Man you guys know how to blow up my alerts don't you.

Hello again,

figured I'd post another one that my hired mechanic/broker suggested I pass on. This one is a HDJ81, 1991 with 167KMs on the clock. He told me they sprayed the frame, the interior was garbage, the timing belt needs replaced, the injection pump needs replaced, and the engine and transmission has been washed, suggesting the owner may be hiding leaks. Without further ado, here are the photos:
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full

I'll find one soon I'm sure of it! I got to be honest, my hopes got high when I first got the initial batch of photos. Then he was able to inspect it in person and he was not keen on it at all. Well, neither am I after seeing the underside.

If your ‘hired gun’ said pass - I’d pass.

Those pics don’t make it look better than his assessment & he’s your boots on the ground & that beats everything.

My $.02

If your ‘hired gun’ said pass - I’d pass.

Those pics don’t make it look better than his assessment & he’s your boots on the ground & that beats everything.

My $.02
Thanks Linus, it wasn’t even a question for the forum but I always appreciate the additional input. I trust the dude I asked to help me. To be honest he is very blunt almost to the point of rude but it isn’t personal, it’s business. He said to me, “This doesn’t match the description of the vehicle you want me to find for you. It has been hot rodded, not well taken care of, will need a lot of work to get it into adequate shape. And I don’t want to hear the grief after you buy it.” Good ‘nuff for me. I’ll pass:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Haha, I like the guy.

what would make rust in that part of the world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom