I need a rusted tub. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all,

My name is Jesse (I go by Ready on mud) and I am in need of a 3/4 tub from a '74 thru '78 Fj40. The condition of the tub is not important as long as it is complete.

I am currently manufacturing a '67 Fj45 long bed and would also like to manufacture a tub only as well as a 3/4 tub for Fj40's.

I have teamed up with a local manufacturer to help me create an exact replica complete with ribs and out of 16 gauge cold rolled steel.

I have a 1972 tub up in Colorado. I have no time to go pick it up. However, the tub is in good condition minus the rear sill. It's still mounted on a rolling chassis. Are you trying to replicate these tubs for selling purposes? What's your cost looking like? Email me at fordmandan150@yahoo.com.

Just noticed that you wrote 74-78, guess mine won't help. I do have a 74 tub in New Braunsfel that a fellow mudder is working on to help me out (much appreciated Scott). I'm not interested in selling it. It doesn't have the complete ribbed floor due to PO cutting the rust out of the top of the wheel wells. Are you just needing measurements?

Thanks for the offer. Yes, I am looking into getting into the business of making tubs, quarter panels, floors, you name it----I will try and create it. As far as price goes, I am still working on the numbers. I will have a better idea once I replicate the first one. I need to figure out how many man hours it is going to take. Once I figure it all out- I will be making tubs as well as beds for the FJ45s. My ultimate goal is to replicate a 4 door Bandeirante and sell those to anyone who is willing to pay for something as special as this.

I don't believe there is much difference in the tubs except the front floor pan due to tranny hump being different. If interested in the 72, please let me know. I would suggest posting a wanted ad on the forum or on craigslist. I know where there is a 76 in a junk yard but one of the sides is smashed from being in a wreck. I don't know how much the yard would charge you for it. If you can work out the plans for making a tub, i might be interest in buying one depending on how fast you could produce one. Anyways pm me if you want to know where the 76 is. Thanks!

Wow! 16ga. bodies would rock.

Hello David,

What type of response could I see if I were to create this tub in 16 gauge steel?
I spoke with my engineer this morning and we have all the tooling equipment to make this happen. I will post some pics of the machines that we will use for these tubs.

16 gauge bodies would make these things a tank. I would think the weight would be about equal as to a normal body with the hardtop. Only problem I could see is peoples springs for those also running the hardtop but it would rock and wouldn't mind having one depending on the price.

Did you get a chance to call the place that has the 40 in their yard?

I actually went by this morning and the tub was too far gone to use as a template. So I went to go see Dan at Wimberly 4x4 and agreed on a '77 complete tub. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
Do you really think using 16 gauge is going to be to heavy once you put the hard top on? I don't want to create something that the general FJ40 community is not going to want because of the weight factor.
Now you got me re-thinkg what gauge to go with.

I think you'll be fine with 16 gauge. There is a guy up in New England that has a great reputation because of his tubs which he uses the 16 gauge as well. I think you'll probably see more business as long as you can keep the price at a moderate level. I honestly don't see any problem... If a person is replacing a complete tub, they will probably end up doing suspension as well. If you don't mind me asking, what did Dan at wimberley charge you??? Also, any thought to price? I might be interested in buying one.

Thanks for the offer. Yes, I am looking into getting into the business of making tubs, quarter panels, floors, you name it----I will try and create it. As far as price goes, I am still working on the numbers. I will have a better idea once I replicate the first one. I need to figure out how many man hours it is going to take. Once I figure it all out- I will be making tubs as well as beds for the FJ45s. My ultimate goal is to replicate a 4 door Bandeirante and sell those to anyone who is willing to pay for something as special as this.

Hmm... 4 door on an 80 frame... Hmm... This is great news. Please keep us up to date. Also, once your ready, buy a Mud vendor star and get your business setup in the vendor's section. Waggoneer did a SWB 45 on an 80 frame, it is sweet!

Yes sir joey78212,

We are currently making the jig for the '77 tub and once it is complete we will run the first tub through manufacturing.

I would like to show the first one to you guys and see what you'll think?

Jesse

Wish you were making a tub for the older ones 74 and below, in order to use a 77 there would have to be modifications made. Best of luck with your adventure and when your finished pm me, I'd like to see the results!

Let me know when your ready to beta test it and I'll bring the 76 over to put it on ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom