I missed buying my 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I have to vent.

So my step-sister and brother-in-law are very well off. They had 2 100 series landcruisers, a 2001 and 1999. Earlier this year they turned in the 2001 after the lease, and kept the 99 because they liked it better. I told them at the time, call me when you are ready to get rid of the 1999, I will buy it from you. They said they would.

So yesterday, I am talking to my other brother-in-law, and find out they traded the 1999 in on a new Lexus SC 430 coupe. Pissed. It was a 1999, clean, fully loaded, rear locker, 75,000 miles, and full dealer service. They got $20,000 for it on trede in. Well, at least I have a really nice 80, I guess I'll drive it for another 3-5 years.

Cary

P.S. I feel much better now.

Used cars are soft right now, You might go to the dealer and offer to buy it for the 20,000 prior to them detailing it. They might sell it. New cars are so much easier to sell right now due to all the financing rates and cash back, etc.... They might not want a 99 100 series on their hands right at the moment.

Besides, if you don't get it, you still have a non IFS Land Cruiser. What could be better?

I just followed a 100 but I don't know? If you can afford two Landcruisers then it is okay but I would never trade my 80 for the 100.

Mike

They traded it two weeks ago, so it is long gone. In the California Market, it will bring about $26,000 at the dealer. I figure it wasn't meant to be and like my Pathfinder, and my 80, the right one will find me when it is time.

Cary

I think $26,000 is high for a 99 with those miles. You can travel a lot for those kind of prices. I've been noticing the prices dropping in Idaho significantly on 100 series. There was one (99 100 series) in the paper for $19,800 with 83k on it last week. It really surprised me. Idaho prices are usually really high for Cruisers. Right now there is a 94 with 93k on it and they are asking 17,900. There is another 94 with 138k on it and they are asking 14,300. Which just doesn't jive with the current prices of 94s elsewhere. I've noticed some dropping of 80s but not like the current 100 series drop. I'm hoping to be able to pick up a 99-01 100 series for my wife next fall. If she doesn't get that she'll get a Suburban (she wants one bad).

It is amazing to me you can purchase a '99-'00 in the $20k to $26k price range. These are great vehicles however the US consumer would rather have an Escalade, Navigator, G500, Tahoe, etc. Because the LC is not as high profile anymore. That is fine me, that way there will be very good supply of 100 series LCs for sometime.

Another advantage of '00 100 is the 4 pinion front diff. If you need diff locks add arb's. I saw this on the 100scool yahoo board.

uzj100

[quote author=uzj100 link=board=2;threadid=6574;start=msg53387#msg53387 date=1066769117]
It is amazing to me you can purchase a '99-'00 in the $20k to $26k price range. These are great vehicles however the US consumer would rather have an Escalade, Navigator, G500, Tahoe, etc. Because the LC is not as high profile anymore. That is fine me, that way there will be very good supply of 100 series LCs for sometime.

Another advantage of '00 100 is the 4 pinion front diff. If you need diff locks add arb's. I saw this on the 100scool yahoo board.

uzj100

[/quote]

And don't forget the standard rear A/C...important if you have passegners/pets and live in a hot climate.

The 100 really is a great truck, especially if you drive on the highway a lot. I would take one over an Expedition or Tahoe any day. They also get better milage than the 80. Considering, my Wife won't let go the 80 for me to drive (I am going to Oregon tommorrow and got told to take the Pathfinder, There is an 80 and a BMW in the Garage, and I have to take the 180,000 mile 91 Pathfinder, at least it has a good stereo and 5 speed to help in the hills) I won't be driving a 100 any time soon. My hope with buying my brother in laws would have been sell the BMW and have my wife drive it, then I could drive the 80 (which was supposed to be my car to begin with).

Also, in CA there are no 100's in the $20,000 range with less than 100k on them. Cost of living I guess.

Cary

Wait a few months. They aren't common in Idaho. Actually, I think the 100 series was sort of a flop here. Their prices are going to drop a lot faster than the 80 series. When the 80 series ended there was really not much competition in the luxo SUV segment. Ranger Rover, Land Rover. Now there are Eddie Bauer Expeditions, Navigators, Excursions (last year this year), Acuras, Cadillacs, Lincons, Denalis, etc... Even 4 door Tahoes weren't really common until about 96. So there is going to be a flooded market as people start replacing these 3-5 year old rigs. And usually California prices are a lot cheaper than Idaho. I think Idaho has some of the most expensive used Cruisers in NA.

Eric's right. 80 series is a hot commodity in ID, but not so the 100. Probably the rack and pinion steering :slap:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom