I keep tripping the Alarm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The alarm is not sensing when my driver door is unlocked. So, if I unlock just the driver's door (key or fob) and then open it, the alarm goes off. It doesn't go off if I unlock all of the doors.

I have a 1998. This is a very recent issue as it started a week ago. I am not sure what to do.

About 5 months ago, I had the dealer replace the ECU as part of the lost key program from Toyota. Then I immediately noticed new behavior in that the doors would rapidly and repeatedly unlock if I tried to lock the driver or passenger door when the key was in the ignition. This did not happen with the old ECU/valet key. I assumed that this was a normal safety feature that only works with the master key.

Then I replaced the little motors in the lock actuators in all of the doors except the tailgate and one of the rear doors.

Everything was working well until this past week.

So, thanks for reading my post. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have the same issue with our 99LC. Been that way since we bought it a few months back. Hopefully someone here can come up with a solution for us.

That's exactly what happens with my 1998 as well. The guy I bought it from a couple years ago had just replaced the master key at the dealership because his kid dropped the only master key in the pool or something. So now you must unlock all the doors in order to get in without the alarm going off, and if the key is in the ignition and you open the driver's door the car will sound like it's unlocking 2-3 times. It's a little annoying but it seems like it would be nearly impossible to lock the keys inside the car, so for that I'm not too worried about it :D

That's exactly what happens with my 1998 as well. The guy I bought it from a couple years ago had just replaced the master key at the dealership because his kid dropped the only master key in the pool or something. So now you must unlock all the doors in order to get in without the alarm going off, and if the key is in the ignition and you open the driver's door the car will sound like it's unlocking 2-3 times. It's a little annoying but it seems like it would be nearly impossible to lock the keys inside the car, so for that I'm not too worried about it :D

Yes, that's true. I guess it would be hard to lock the keys in. :D

What about the alarm going off when I unlock and open only the driver's door? That doesn't seem right. I would think that is pointing to an issue somewhere.

No idea to be honest. It totally bugged me at first, but I've just let it go since I don't want to pay Toyota a couple hundred bucks to figure it out. The guy that sold it to me spent a lot of coin at the dealer the day before I bought it (I made it a condition of sale that he furnish a working master key), and he seemed super annoyed because he had to sit there for like 5 hours while they tinkered with it. I'm sure it has something to do with the ECU. The only downside I've found so far is when I let someone else drive the truck and they forget to hit the unlock button twice or the rare occasion I use valet. If you figure out what the cause is, you'll be a hero!

If you figure out what the cause is, you'll be a hero!

I won't be the hero of this thread! Lol

Hopefully someone else will be... Anyone, anyone?

I may just break down and take it to the dealer. Maybe they will check it under warranty since they did the work less than a year ago.

I would like to bring this topic up again.
I have the same issue:
locking unlocking the car with the remote: no problem.
Unlocking the car with the key in the driverside door: alarm goes off.
Is this how it is supposed to be?

Also the alarm goes off from time to time. Nighttime, daytime, sunny, rainy, winter, summer. Not on a regular basis and i dont know what the issue with this could be. Any help anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom