I have bought a Prado from Japan KZJ95 with TRC and VSC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mates,
I have bought a prado from Japan. It has TRC and VSC with Center Differential Lock. I will soon my hand on the vehicle. It has 257k on the clock. I would like to know what goes wrong in these vehicles and what type of parts that need be replaced for the maintenance. Because I want to repaint it with either Sand Taupe or Trail Dust(New Prado 2024 colour). I want to list the parts that should be changed because I need to borrow parts from Dubai and it takes time. I don't know what type of work has been done or not but I want to be prepared.

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

Mates,
I have bought a prado from Japan. It has TRC and VSC with Center Differential Lock. I will soon my hand on the vehicle. It has 257k on the clock. I would like to know what goes wrong in these vehicles and what type of parts that need be replaced for the maintenance. Because I want to repaint it with either Sand Taupe or Trail Dust(New Prado 2024 colour). I want to list the parts that should be changed because I need to borrow parts from Dubai and it takes time. I don't know what type of work has been done or not but I want to be prepared.

View attachment 3523544

View attachment 3523545

View attachment 3523546

View attachment 3523547
@DrCruiser I moved this to the 90 series section for you.

Cheers!

It all comes down to how it's been treated. Injector pump should be good for at least 400-500k kms. The turbo should still be fine, unless it's been flogged. Cooling system is something I would be looking at first. If it hasn't been done yet, I would replace the radiator and all associated hoses (including the 2 small coolant feed lines to the turbo). Even if the car isn't overheating (yet), it's at that age where leaks/cracks can occur and when they do, more often than not you'll end up overheating the engine, causing expensive damage to the head. Well known problem with these engines and easily avoidable if you're on the ball with it. Do a cooling system flush while you're at it. I did my whole cooling system myself for about AUD$600. Easy DIY job.

The other thing people complain about on higher KM 1KZ's is the EGR and intake system getting clogged up with soot resulting in poor power and fuel economy. It's not something I've experienced personally as I've removed the EGR from my motor but given the KMs, it'll probably be due for a service soon. I'd consider blanking it off after a service if you can in your country. You can easily check if this might be a problem by removing the intercooler from the top and shining a torch down the throttle body and looking for (bad) soot build-up.

The other thing important thing IME is glow plugs. If you have no documentation as to when they were last changed, I would change them immediately. Don't leave old ones in there! The previous owner of my Prado didn't change the glow plugs for a long time and one of the glow plug tips become brittle and broke off in the cylinder and got smashed around between the head and the piston causing all sorts of damage! I bought the car like that no knowing. Wasn't till I replaced a cracked head later down the track that I discovered. As glow plugs are fairly cheap and easy to replace, I would err on the side of caution and replace them sooner than recommended intervals. I think recommend intervals are about 150k km? I'll have to double check that....

That's all I can think of right now.

Agreed on all the points above. Cooling system is super important and I would bank on doing all rubber hoses, the thermostat, the radiator cap, and maybe even the fan clutch if it's original. Not a bad idea to give the radiator a good flush as well. I've had good luck with thermo cure.

I'm not sure what you have for records, but I would also do the timing belt and associated pulleys along with the water pump while you're in there. It's a pretty easy job on this motor.

Regarding the EGR... I bought my KZJ90 with 90,000 km in perfect condition, yet I was shocked with how much sludge had already built up in the intake. I took the intake off completely and spent several days cleaning it out with degreaser etc. I'm not sure I would delete the EGR (that's a whole other debate), but I would certainly look at a catch can to catch those oil vapors before they turn into sludge, if I was to do it all over.

Beyond that, the only thing I think possibly missing from this list is lower ball joints. If you have even an inkling that they have some miles on them then I would do them immediately.

What’s the best 1KZ-TE radiator source for anyone living in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom