i dropped a plastic cap in my rear diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Edit - I got it out!
Details on page 3: link

Thank you to everyone that commented!

------ How I got the cap out -------
Suggested tools: shop vac with a 1 7/8" hose and some motor oil

Drain all of the diff fluid out
Fill the diff with motor oil
Turn on the shop vac
Remove the drain plug, and plug the hole with a finger
Remove finger from the drain and quickly cover it with a 1 7/8" hose of a 5hp shop vac or something close, but don't insert the hose in the drain
Check the shop vac bucket

The 1 7/8" shop vac hose fits perfectly to the protective ring around the drain. This is extremely helpful in creating a good vacuum and not obstructing the outflow from the drain.
------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:

Yes, you read that correctly; I accidentally dropped the cap from the diff fluid in...the rear diff. I was trying to see how I'd approach getting the fluid out of the bottle and into the diff when I quickly realized the cap was missing.

I tried to locate the cap using a USB Snake Inspection Camera, but I've yet to find it and will try again in the morning.

How would you go about retrieving the cap?

the-cap.jpg

Last edited:
If you can’t get it out, I wonder if it is really a big deal. The cab may/will just get chewed up Bunche gears. I don’t think (but don’t know) it will hurt anything.

Blast air into top and bottom, hoping it comes out.

plastic is made out of oil isnt it
fill and drain i bet would work, maybe use something cheaper than diff fluid tho
:meh:

The gears probably wouldn’t mind a whole lot but the bearings..

I’d seek the advice of someone very experienced with differential gears. Zuk is taking a break from diff builds but may be answering emails.

If you do have to remove the third member as a last resort, it’s easier than it may seem. The rear bearings are about 30 mins per side if you don’t have corrosion.

If the diff is full of new fluid, I'd probably try to drain it into a CLEAN pan, hopefully remove the cap as the fluid flows out and re-use the fluid afterwards. If it didn't work the first time, I'd probably try again.

If the diff is full of new fluid, I'd probably try to drain it into a CLEAN pan, hopefully remove the cap as the fluid flows out and re-use the fluid afterwards. If it didn't work the first time, I'd probably try again.

Good idea, and I appreciate the input!

Can you take the rear cover of the diff off?

@Docwyte I just fired up my laptop to see if that's an option.

I'm on my 3rd fill and drain cycle and I don't have a lot of hope that the cap will flow out.

Maybe jack the rear up and slowly turn a wheel to see if it comes out or into view of your camera. Use a few bottles of cheap gear oil to help it along.

another thought is drain the gear oil and save it, put some motor oil in there and then suck the motor oil and it out with a shop vac. might work?

Can you take the rear cover of the diff off?

Our diffs don't have a rear cover. Only the diff carrier which is integrated as kind of a front cover.

In the end, this wouldn't be that hard of a job to remove axles and remove the diff carrier. Probably a 2-3 hr job for a shop.

another thought is drain the gear oil and save it, put some motor oil in there and then suck the motor oil and it out with a shop vac. might work?
I'm liking this idea.

Our diffs don't have a rear cover. Only the diff carrier which is integrated as kind of a front cover.

In the end, this wouldn't be that hard of a job to remove axles and remove the diff carrier. Probably a 2-3 hr job for a shop.

I'm liking this idea.

Are y'all suggesting motor oil due to the cost or something else?

Are y'all suggesting motor oil due to the cost or something else?

I probably won't hurt but I would lean to using gear oil. Liking the shop vac idea.

new clean drain pan would work too
does your rear cover bolt on, if so just remove that:idea:

new clean drain pan would work too
does your rear cover bolt on, if so just remove that:idea:
The 200 doesn't have a rear cover. You'd need to disconnect the driveshaft and pull both axles outward (they don't have to come all the way out, just enough to get them out of the diff), remove the fasteners then the gear carrier assembly. Reassembly requires a new paper gasket. It's a hassle job but not really especially difficult.

Yes, you read that correctly; I accidentally dropped the cap from the diff fluid in...the rear diff. I was trying to see how I'd approach getting the fluid out of the bottle and into the diff when I quickly realized the cap was missing.

I tried to locate the cap using a USB Snake Inspection Camera, but I've yet to find it and will try again in the morning.

How would you go about retrieving the cap?

View attachment 3219522
Two trains of thought, first drain fluid and try using camera thru the drain hole vs the fill hole, second, you know you will find it right after you tear carrier apart over by the passenger tire. Best of luck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom