HZJ80 from Aus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the intro, great wagon you have there.

I have an hzj80 also (I'm in NZ) but it has cloth seats, and electric windows so I'm unsure what spec it is.

hope to see more of your truck, and travels!

I have an hzj80 also (I'm in NZ) but it has cloth seats, and electric windows so I'm unsure what spec it is.

Does it have rear barn doors? If not it would be a GXL over here.

What aussiehzj said is correct, the barn doors were the DX model, with tailgates on gxl and Sahara.

Started looking around the rear tonight to see what the rust under the rear windows was like. It has rusted through, but I don’t think it’s too far gone! Now I just need to find someone to repair it. On removing the side trim, I found what had to be 6 or 7 handfuls of bull dust. 26 years and 500,000km worth I estimate. I vacuumed it all out with the went and dry, I’ll need to do the other side though.

F82AA0F3-23EC-4B62-8F1E-497B23DEFA38.jpeg

7A517A53-9EBE-445A-8C17-EB5B89BB970B.jpeg

Good news is, I have had some rust repairs done! I was pretty nervous about this, as I have't really seen too much of the guys work, but it came recommended so I just bit the bullet and had one side done. I'm quite happy with the result, I'll pick it up tonight and put some touch up paint on it and get the window back in!
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image6.jpeg

image5.jpeg

F30DBF28-7616-47DD-9767-2C38FAA13502.jpeg

my rattle can job has turned out much better than expected on the rear quarter. Next job is to pull the windscreen out and see whether there is any rust around the surround there. I’m better that there is, but I would love it if there wasn’t!

Given that the car must have spent most of its life on bull dust highways, every time I remove a trim I’m confronted with an enormous amount of dust accumulated. So I’m going to have to removed all the trims at some point and just clean it all out I think. Keeping the body straight is my main priority at this point in time..

It's been a while. The poor girl needs some proper loving! I've moved to the beach, and have always tried to stay on top of the rust... Sometimes it's just impossible. I've put 130,000km on it in the 5 years I've owned it now, and it's served me very well. Here are some photos of it.

First photo is with a RTT I bought last year, performed really well as we were on the move most days. This was a 5400km road trip over 4 weeks. Felt like I was really pushing the car to the limit of it's life to be honest, at 625,000km, she's starting to feel a bit sluggish.

Needs some new tie rod ends and numerous leaks fixed in the next few months, including a very bad exhaust leak from the flex pipe...!
IMG_2535.jpg
IMG_3699.jpg

It's been a while. The poor girl needs some proper loving! I've moved to the beach, and have always tried to stay on top of the rust... Sometimes it's just impossible. I've put 130,000km on it in the 5 years I've owned it now, and it's served me very well. Here are some photos of it.

First photo is with a RTT I bought last year, performed really well as we were on the move most days. This was a 5400km road trip over 4 weeks. Felt like I was really pushing the car to the limit of it's life to be honest, at 625,000km, she's starting to feel a bit sluggish.

Needs some new tie rod ends and numerous leaks fixed in the next few months, including a very bad exhaust leak from the flex pipe...!View attachment 3539057View attachment 3539058

That's a wiiiiiiide beach! Where's it at?

😂😂 no turbo for this old thing.. I feel like it would last a week. Uses about 2L oil for every 5000km at the moment, with no smoke.. so I’m guessing the rings are done.
A bit of boost in those cylinders might just force that oil back where it belongs, and a fresh dump pipe would fix that exhaust leak. You'd basically be making money 😉

Looks like a clean old rig, I loved my DX, good and simple. With regular servicing that motor will have a good amount of life left in it yet, keep it forever!

So I've come to ask... Where do you draw the line?!
Dropped it to the mechanic last week, the RHF radius arm mount on the diff is cracked so having some plates welded on that, as well as bushes changed and the like. It's going to be around $4,000aud all up.

The costs are starting to rack up for the old thing!

Rampt customs radius arm mount gussets welded in, new bushes and a few other service items complete yesterday.. Car drives much better.
Anyone with a deathly vibration in the steering wheel... look at your mounting brackets!
430613461_302399062534831_3084530769749504997_n.jpg
428468136_1649436328921266_7365636861873418115_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom